SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pilot Shot Down in Viet Nam in 1967 Brought Home
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pilot Shot Down in Viet Nam in 1967 Brought Home Login/Join 
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted
This will move you. Welcome home, Col. Roy Knight Jr.

"Our incoming plane is carrying the remains of an American pilot shot down over Vietnam in 1967. His remains were only recently recovered and identified and brought back to the US."

I missed this on my first read of the story:
"But his final honour would involve his own family. On this day, his son Bryan — that five-year-old son who had waved goodbye to him when he left for overseas in 1967 — is now a captain with Southwest Airlines. And it was Bryan who flew home his father 52 years after that goodbye."

Link

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ChicagoSigMan,

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Welcome home, Colonel.

G*d Bless you.

Posts: 11322 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
Welcome home, Colonel.

G*d Bless you.

Not sure why you won't say it, but I will:

God bless you, Colonel.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Welcome Home Colonel. May you now rest in peace, and may God continue to bless you.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
Welcome home, Colonel.

G*d Bless you.

Not sure why you won't say it, but I will:

God bless you, Colonel.

Yes, God bless the colonel and his family.

As to why Tac didn't say "GOD", As I recall it is line with his personal beliefs.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Moving to say the least. Welcome home Col. Knight.

Posts: 7551 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
God bless them. God bless them all.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The best part of this story is that the mans son was 5 years old and was at the airport where he saw his dad off for the last time. The son who is now a Captain for Southwest was given the honors to fly his dads remains back.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...Bnb7Kz&OCID=AVRES007

Posts: 3920 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very cool!

We have teams all over the world looking for remains of service members from all wars and a big Lab at Pearl where they do the DNA analysis.

I got to serve as a Casualty Affairs Officer last year on a case where we recovered and ID'd remains also from 1967 from the side of a cliff in Cambodia. The family had no idea what happened to the pilot and his co-pilot, they launched on a recon mission over the Ho Chi Minh trail at night in bad weather and never returned. That they got little to no info wasn't helped by the fact it was classified at the time either...

He was a bad-ass, 2X Flying Crosses and a very experienced instructor pilot in the OV-1 Mohawk he was flying.

Listed as MIA for I think 11 years and then declared KIA. The remains of each were matched to surviving family and some pieces of the plane were matched to their type of aircraft. The neatest part...the pilot's dog tag was recovered, they mailed it to me and I got to give it to the widow.

Anyway, it is pretty cool our government spends all this time and money to keep looking and making IDs...that is why NK releasing the remains of all those Korea vets was so huge (and ignored by the MSM, damn them).

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't choke up easily but the fact that he was brought home by his son did it .

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very appropriate that the son gets to bring his father on the final leg.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Welcome home, COL Knight. May God bless you and your family. You shall meet them again on that beautiful shore...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Welcome home

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Welcome home <salute>

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It should be noted that Knight was in Vietnam as an A-1E Skyraider pilot, which was one of the highest-risk flying missions in Southeast asia, with a high loss rate. One of their primary missions was close air support of downed airmen, in hostile territory (Laos), often returning heavily shot up. They often marked their own targets, returning again and again for bomb and strafe runs and stayed on station under fire for extended periods on a regular basis. Every one of them a hero.

http://www.veterantributes.org...il.php?recordID=1180

Knight was shot down on a flight against a heavily armed target, expended his ordnance into the target area and then crashed in it.

He came home in February this year.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeaCliff
posted Hide Post
Welcome home Colonel.

Posts: 1894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: October 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
It should be noted that Knight was in Vietnam as an A-1E Skyraider pilot

Those Skyraiders were baaaaaaaadddddd...

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16351 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Thanks for a great story.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SAC trained killer
Picture of Ricardokid11
posted Hide Post
Welcome home Sir. May you RIP.

" May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am".

Posts: 2083 | Location: Glen Allen, VA. | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
Screen very hard to see, all fuzzy.
Welcome home Sir and may God bless you and your family.
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1683 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post