SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Badlands and Theodore Roosevelt National Park
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Badlands and Theodore Roosevelt National Park Login/Join 
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted
Thinking of hitting these two parks. Never been to the Dakota's. Anyone camped at eigther park?

I know Theodore Roosevelt as a North and South Unit. Looking more at the South unless there is something I need to see in the North part.

Must see things, good hikes, town info.

Thanks

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16399 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Been to both, but TR was just a quick overnight stop on the way to Glacier. We stayed in the south unit at the cottonwood campground, IIRC. It was a beautiful area...I'd like to go back some day, but it's pretty remote. There isn't much around town-wise. There were buffalo in the park, and wild horses, but we only really had time to drive the loop road and didn't get to do much hiking.

We've been to badlands national park multiple times...we're actually headed back out there at the end of September. We've stayed at the KOA outside of Interior, SD, and the National Park Campground, as well as numerous national forest service campgrounds in the Black Hills. IMO there's more to do at BNP than TR...numerous hiking opportunities, the scenic loop drive with a bunch of overlooks, and wildlife everywhere. We saw proghorns, bighorn sheep, buffalo, mountain goats, coyotes, deer, owls...all kinds of stuff.

There is also a minuteman missile silo and command bunker nearby that you can tour, and of course Wall Drug (which is a total tourist trap). The bonus of BNP is the proximity to the black hills and Rapid City. There's all kinds of stuff to do there. Ellsworth AFB has a neat museum, there's Mt. Rushmore, Custer State Park, and Wind Cave to name a few, not to mention all manner of touristy stuff in places like Keystone and Deadwood. There are some great hikes in the Black Elk Wilderness...I've done day hikes as well as a backpacking trip there. Black Elk Peak and Sunday Gulch were some of our favorite trails.

Posts: 8568 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A TON of things to see and do out that way.
BAdlands are a great place to hike.
Custer Park is a beautiful ride on a motorcycle, or car!
Mt Rushmore & Crazy Horse aren't too far from each other. Bear Country is a neat place to drive through.
Deadwood, Lead, Custer, Sturgis are cool little Western towns to stop in and see. Spearfish Canyon is an incredible drive and decent place to fish.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8345 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
...and wildlife everywhere. We saw pronghorns, bighorn sheep, buffalo, mountain goats, coyotes, deer, owls...all kinds of stuff.

Also thousands of prairie dogs in the southern unit of TR-NP - being from NH I'd never seen one. We did the loop road there several years ago along with the western South Dakota stuff. You're camping but a pro tip for those who aren't: do not stay in Glendive, MT.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Mandatory stop at Wall Drug in Wall SD. Easy to find, signs along the highway everywhere! I have a sign in my garage...1082 miles to Wall Drug.

https://www.walldrug.com/

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Was out there earlier this year, we were based in Rapid City and did day trips to the Badlands, Mt Rushmore, Custer State Park, Devil's Tower in Wyoming, and the various little towns around. We did it when it was not crowded, overall great vacation, will do it again in the future. And yes, hit Wall Drug near the Badlands for your 5 cent cup of coffee Smile

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16695 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
And a free donut if you're a veteran.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Custer Park is a beautiful ride on a motorcycle, or car!

It absolutely is, especially the wildlife loop, but be careful on a motorcycle! I watched some really badass looking dudes who I think were out there for Sturgis panic and just about pee themselves when we all got stopped by a herd of about 200 buffalo across the road, which then began making their way in between the vehicles, including the guys out there on their bikes. It was kind of comical from the (relative) safety of my car, but I was glad I wasn't out there with them Big Grin!

I'll echo CPD SIG on Spearfish Canyon. It's kind of separated away from the busier parts of the Hills, but it's gorgeous and there are fish everywhere. We camped at the Hanna campground up near the top of the canyon for a few nights, and it was really nice, secluded, and rustic...which is what I prioritize in a campsite. Or site was right on the creek and the kids had a blast playing in it. There's also a little feature about midway down the canyon called Devil's Bathtub that is basically a waterfall that you can slide down into a bowl...that was pretty awesome. It used to be unmarked and kind of secluded, but last time I drove through there they'd built signs and a parking lot, so I imagine it's busier now. The fish hatchery down in the town of Spearfish is pretty cool, too.

Posts: 8568 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
Don't forget Devil's Tower (Wyoming), if your route takes you that way.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3299 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I've said it before and am saying it again, there is so much to see in this area from geological, nature, wildlife, history, and tourist attractions perspectives that since moving here in the mid '90s we've still not seen it all. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16214 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Would love to see the entire area with my Kids before they get too old and fly the coop.

Posts: 3147 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
I recommend seeing the Badlands morning or afternoon. The midday sun washes out the so many colors that are there. Beautiful area…

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of usp_fan
posted Hide Post
We live in Bismarck and play in the North Dakota Badlands all the time. The North unit is more remote and less crowded, however there's not much around if your looking for amenities outside the park. Waterford city is the closest town with a hotel.

The South Unit is easier to access and sits immediately off of I94 at the town of Medora, ND. There are 3 hotels and multiple campsites. We like Sully Creek State Park just south of town. The town of medora is run as a historical site by a foundation. Most of the venues and most of the people working them work for the foundation. There is a large amphitheater just south of medora where they put on a musical all summer. I believe the last weekend for the musical is Labor Day.

The park is beautiful. It has lots of free range wildlife including horses, bison, prairie dogs, and wild rattlesnakes -as opposed to the tame ones. There's a loop you can drive that'll take you through the South unit in many hiking trails accessible immediately from the loop. Many of the parks treasures are best accessed by hiking. There's also quite a bit to see just outside the actual park boundaries. Just to the northwest there's a petrified forest with about a 5 mi trail and farther north you can visit the site of Teddy Roosevelt's Elkhorn Ranch. Most of these sites can be found on the maps for the area. Additionally there's a single track trail that connects the North unit and South unit and also continues 50 miles south of the town of Medora. Every year there's a mountain bike race from north to south in 25 mi increments from 100 mi down to 25 mi. It's one of the toughest races I've ever done. The trail is amazing for hiking, and if you stay in the Sully Creek State Park campground you can access the trail as it heads south out of Medora. Hiking the trail will take you to an overview that looks at the little Missouri River and down across the Bully Pulpit golf course. You can follow it as long as you'd like into the Badlands outside of the park. The southern terminus of the trail is at the Burning Coal Vein campground and evergreen Forest which is a rarity in North Dakota.

Outside of Medora, the largest close city is Dickinson North Dakota about 30 or 40 mi east on I-94. Lots of good restaurant and hotel options there if needed.

As noted by others, it's easy to head to South Dakota from this location and take in many of the awesome sites in the Black Hills including the South Dakota Badlands National Park which shares similar topography but is remarkably different as well.

Please feel free to reach out to my email if you have any specific questions. We've hiked and camped all over the park and really enjoy our time there.

Posts: 2504 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: March 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post