SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone Been To Ikea Lately?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone Been To Ikea Lately? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
I used to love Ikea

I built my entire kitchen in my condo with IKEA kitchen components except the appliances back in 2009.

Haven't been to one in a very long time, I'd say a good 6-8 years. Stopped by the one near my work on my way home last night and while it looked the same it just didn't feel the same anymore. It kind of felt tired and has-been there. Place was deserted too, I know it was like 6 pm on a Wednesday night but I've ben there in the past at times and days like that and it was busier.

I recall reading an article about their price increases and can confirm that they are way up and IMO have lost their way as far as what they were known for. I need a new office desk chair and the prices they were asking were just ridiculous. Maybe there's a reason the place is deserted.

We are looking for a new dining room set and I wanted to get some ideas but everything they have there is so modern/Euro style it would stick out like a sore thumb in our mid-century home.

At least the hot dogs were still good!

Posts: 33814 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
It is always funny to watch videos of the people who tie themselves together with lengths of rope so they don't get lost in IKEA.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1376 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I just saw this on a Reddit discussion about my very observations, glad to see it’s not just all in my head:

Posts: 33814 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There’s an IKEA in my city. The parking lot is usually packed. I went in recently with the wife and step daughter and didn’t see much difference in price from the times before, but I’ll add that they always seemed overpriced to me for the cheap quality stuff they sell that you have to assemble at home.

Maybe it’s a PA thing, but out here folks don’t go for the hotdogs. They go for the meatballs, which I have found to be just mediocre. I’ll have to check the dogs out the next time I get dragged into the store.

Posts: 757 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last i went to Ikea they were out of a lot of the furniture I wanted. No eta. Also their website left alot to be desired.

Posts: 4591 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I bought some cheap furniture there in 2020, when I had to set up a place to live in San Antonio so my wife could get treated for cancer. I didn’t much like their bewildering store or their products, but I guess they both met my needs at that time.

I didn’t notice the hot dogs. Maybe the food court was closed for covid.

Posts: 26906 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
In the mid 90s, we bought some IKEA furniture for our first house; a couple of sofas, end tables, children's furniture, etc. Back then, they actually had some quality stuff at very good prices. But as they expanded into many other markets, we noticed their quality went downhill fast. The last time we were at one was maybe 6 years ago, and it was a complete joke. The selection and quality were gone.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16701 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
I was at my local one last week. Honestly, it looked fine to me. I've been shopping there off and on for 20 years.

I appreciate that they put the location of manufacture on every item.

Our dishes, glasses, cutlery, etc. is all from there. The quality is great and it's all made in Poland, Romania, or another European country.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4198 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stopped in the Kansas City store in November, not very many shoppers, bought two pillows and some licorice.

Posts: 423 | Location: Kansas | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I have never been to an Ikea store. Are the hot dogs as good as Costco's hot dogs?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30674 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I have never been to an Ikea store. Are the hot dogs as good as Costco's hot dogs?

Swedish meatballs is Ikeas equivalent. Better than a Costco dog

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The sad thing is young people prefer Ikea-type furniture to “real” furniture. You can hardly give away quality old “brown” beautiful furniture. You know, the kind that is really cherry or oak or maple and not those color “finishes.” I live in a two college town and you would not believe the stuff that gets put on the curb as “trash.”

Posts: 401 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: February 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MelissaDallas:
The sad thing is young people prefer Ikea-type furniture to “real” furniture. You can hardly give away quality old “brown” beautiful furniture. You know, the kind that is really cherry or oak or maple and not those color “finishes.” I live in a two college town and you would not believe the stuff that gets put on the curb as “trash.”

That is the target demographic for IKEA

The stuff last 4 years and you throw it out when you graduate. I've seen folks who throw out their furniture every time they move between apartments

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
quote:

Ever since Costco got rid of their Polish dogs, IKEA Swedish Meatballs has been the best.

As an added bonus, they have a great cup of coffee for $1...might have gone up, haven't been in a while

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevH:
I was at my local one last week. Honestly, it looked fine to me. I've been shopping there off and on for 20 years.

I appreciate that they put the location of manufacture on every item.

Our dishes, glasses, cutlery, etc. is all from there. The quality is great and it's all made in Poland, Romania, or another European country.

Their lighting, lounge chairs, and bookcases are all great values also

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
quote:

V-Tail, I don't think you'd like Ikea. They're large and they've designed them as a multistory maze so the store is essentially a walk-thru of their entire catalog. The few times I've gone, I was grumpy by the time I left.

Also, the meatballs are overrated.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23261 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
They're large and they've designed them as a multistory maze so the store is essentially a walk-thru of their entire catalog. The few times I've gone, I was grumpy by the time I left.

There are shortcuts through the store if you look for them. They are posted...I would suspect for fire exits

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
We try to go for either late breakfast or lunch, have had dinner too. Favorite is the salmon plate with the potato “medallion”, dang those are god. Next best is meatballs. For breakfast, love the blini or pancakes and scrambled eggs. It’s all pretty cheap, but not as cheap as last year.

We rented a house, furnished it mostly with IKEA stuff.
You can buy a kitchen knife set that’s super sharp for $13.

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2013 Ikea meatballs were found to have horse meat and were recalled.

I have not had any since

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig2392:

2013 Ikea meatballs were found to have horse meat and were recalled.
Health Inspector: "Is the meat in that rabbit stew 100% rabbit?"

Restaurant Owner: "There's a little horse meat in it."

Health Inspector: "How much horse meat?"

Restaurant Owner: "Fifty - fifty. One rabbit, one horse."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30674 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post