SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    RIP: Sabine 'Queen of the Ring' Schmitz
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RIP: Sabine 'Queen of the Ring' Schmitz Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted
https://www.formula1.com/en/la...ARsftGvk92lApCe.html

quote:

Sabine Schmitz, the pioneering female racer and only woman to have won the Nurburgring 24 Hours endurance race, has passed away at the age of 51.

The German racer, affectionately nicknamed by many as the ‘Queen of the Nurburgring’, revealed last year that she was diagnosed with cancer in 2017.

She twice won the 24-hour race at the fabled Nurburgring Nordschleife circuit in a BMW M3, and raced a Porsche in the same event in 2008 to finish third.

Schmitz was also known for her appearances on British motoring show Top Gear, in which she famously attempted to lap a Ford Transit van around the 15-mile circuit under 10 minutes.

Sophia Floersch, who became the first F3 racer in 2020, tweeted her condolences as she called it “very sad for motorsport.”

She wrote: “Sabine is the queen at Nurburgring. She always will be unreachable in the Green Hell. Seeing her races was inspirational and motivating. My deepest condolences to the family. RIP Sabine”.

The Nurburgring added their own tribute on Twitter as they said: “The Nürburgring has lost its most famous female racing driver.

“Sabine Schmitz passed away far too early after a long illness. We will miss her and her cheerful nature. Rest in peace Sabine!”

"We are all deeply saddened to hear that Sabine Schmitz has passed away," said Formula 1 in a statement. "An incredible talent and wonderful person who made us all smile. Our thoughts are with her family and friends at this sad time."

Loved her banter with Top Gear, especially the Nürburgring episodes.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15346 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow that sucks. Never saw her without a smile on her face.

Posts: 110 | Location: florida | Registered: July 17, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cancer is crap. Really sad. Frown

Posts: 184 | Registered: September 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
thats sad - RIP

she was a great friend of the Top Gear guys...she will be missed

Posts: 53203 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Schmitz was also known for her appearances on British motoring show Top Gear, in which she famously attempted to lap a Ford Transit van around the 15-mile circuit under 10 minutes.

Heck of a driver and funny, she was a hoot on TG, Here's the video of the Transit Van Run

Posts: 23500 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Hilarious watching her passing motorcycles in a Transit van.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15346 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
i did not know her. A beautiful woman and loved her passion in the van video. May she rest in peace. Far too young. It is obviously a sad time as she was loved by many.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19199 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dang it! I really enjoyed her on Top Gear.

P229

Posts: 3834 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Both she & her cheerful nature will be surely missed. Rest easy sweet Queen..

Posts: 13814 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:

Heck of a driver and funny, she was a hoot on TG, Here's the video of the Transit Van Run

That was wonderful. What a loss

Posts: 13283 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Far, far too young to pass. Very unfortunate.

Far from the German stereotype of being cold and dour, she was full of personality and, lots of enthusiasm, she added an element to Top Gear that the other presenters didn't have. She gave it to Clarkson as good as anybody, putting him in his place and he was receptive to it.

RIP Sabine.

Posts: 14662 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
All hail the Queen. She was a treat and will be missed.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Wow, when I read the title I thought for sure it had been a crash. She was always fun on screen and I assume off screen as well.

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just sad.......what a loss!!

Posts: 6625 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
I had Sabine drive me 2 laps around the Nürburgring in BMW's Ring taxi; maybe 15 (20?) years ago. I also stayed at her family's small hotel/restaurant that night, and had Sabine join us for desert and many rounds of booze :-)

Wonderful and talented woman; the world lost a real live wire. RIP

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
God Dammit!! Frown

Rest In Peace. Seemed like such a good lady.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7685 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Just let my colleague in Germany know. Her husband Klaus announced it on fb, but doesn't use it, so didn't know.

He had tuned the engines of her race cars and had arranged for me to ride in the Ring taxi with her in 2022, when we thought it would be possible to go there.

Heartbroken, we both are.

Would much rather she were with us, than having a chance to spend time with her in a race car.

She was much too young; only a year older than my friend.

Rest in peace, dear lady.

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
To have her drive me around the Ring was a bucket list item...Maybe in Heaven Sabine....

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6327 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gocad:
Cancer is crap. Really sad. Frown

Fuck cancer.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
This is very sad!
She had such a grand spirit!
Aileron, I envy you that experience.

Posts: 18078 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post