SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A very special thank you to our friend dave7378
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A very special thank you to our friend dave7378 Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
Many, many years ago I quit my job in lawn care to pursue a career in programming with a local startup. When the boss disappeared with 6 months of my pay I was forced to get back into lawn care. I started by getting a used pro mower and picking up a mowing job here and there. However, I was licensed for pesticide applications from my old lawn care job but I had signed a non-compete agreement for two years. Luckily, that was only about 6 months away after the programming job dried up.

I was going bonkers trying to get everything together to start fertilizing lawns but not only could I not afford a spray rig, I couldn't even afford an extra bag of fertilizer. I asked here if anyone had any options for me, hoping that I could buy a spray rig on time. Our pal dave7378 made me an offer. If I would drive 8 or 9 hours to meet him, I could pick up a spray rig that he was no longer using at his business. I didn't even have a spare tire on my work truck. I picked up a used tire at the junk yard, just in case. Making such a long trip, a blown tire would have otherwise bankrupted me. That must have been 2009.

I made the trip and met Dave. Not only did he give me the spray rig, he helped me load it up and then bought me lunch. That spray rig not only allowed me to get the business rolling, it also saved my house from being forclosed on. I started small, I think my first fertilizer order was 10 bags (500 lbs) but it got things rolling. I used this spray rig up until 2 years ago when I moved completely to ride-on Permagreen spreader/sprayers. I'd consider my business slightly successful now as I have 204 customers. I don't make a lot of money as it's just me running the business and doing all the jobs, but I enjoy my job and I'm happy.

I just wanted to publicly thank Dave and let him know that today, I talked to my chemical supplier and asked if he knew anyone that could use the spray rig. Apparently, a guy a few towns away just broke out on his own and is currently running a backpack sprayer and pushing the fertilizer manually. I offered it to him at no cost, the same amount that Dave charged me.

It ain't the prettiest girl on the dance floor but it runs and doesn't leak. The only thing I changed was the hose (I put a slimmer, longer hose on) and the pump (it gave up after a couple years of use). That old Honda motor still starts on the first pull.

Dave, you blessed me and my family and now hopefully another family can be blessed by your generosity.

Posts: 45565 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Amazing story and really shows why so many members here stick around for the long run. The world would be a better place if we had more people like Sig Forum membership around.

Posts: 13312 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
This is one of the ways we fix this world.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44498 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
A classic case of 'Paying it Forward'... good on you Mark!

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1332 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
This is what makes this place what it is. Thank you for sharing.

Posts: 5916 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Good for you, Mark, and good for you too, Dave!

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12932 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Great! Thank you for making the world just a little bit better.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31446 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
What an inspiring story!
Thanks for sharing.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6482 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Dave is a credit to the human race. I say this in all sincerity. He's generous to a fault.

"Generous to a fault"

Have you ever given any thought to the meaning of that expression? It means being so generous, it might be to one's detriment; some people might try to take advantage of this generosity.

Fortunately for Dave, he's not only generous, he's savvy. Nobody's going to get over on him. He gives out of the goodness of his heart.

When Dave needed us last year, we were there for him, and when others (myself included) have needed him, he's been there for us.

I know of one particularly generous act of Dave's, that he doesn't want anyone to know about, on behalf of a member of the forum, that would floor most of you.

God puts people in place to help others- not always, but more often than we realize. Dave being here, and what he went through last year, and his then being in a position to offer guidance to others who went through the same- there's a design in that.

Posts: 109158 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Great story of good will.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19761 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Some much appreciated sunshine in these otherwise generally dark days.

Stuff like this is great to hear and provides hope.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13112 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
These stories bring a smile to my face

Posts: 3824 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Wow, great story, and congrats on persevering.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6372 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigs are
my Panacea...
Picture of billpocz
posted Hide Post
This story made my day!

And this is simply a great place to be!

--- Sig 365, 365XL, 245, P6

Posts: 2011 | Location: Rural Northeastern KY | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Bravo Zulu to both Dave and Mark.

Yes this place is populated with great folks!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16533 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
So glad I opened this thread! SIGforum is awesome!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9467 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amazing story, and you paid it forward!
I try to help those that deserve it when I can, and have made some good friends on both sides of it.
Sig Forum is a community of great like minded good people.

“Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.”

John Adams

Posts: 332 | Location: Land of 10000 Taxes | Registered: March 19, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I love to hear this. Great to have members like Dave and Mark with us!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39286 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
The people on this forum are awesome! Can't express it any better.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3796 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Terrific story, thanks for sharing.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post