SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Where to Stay - Paging VA Members
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where to Stay - Paging VA Members Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted
My wife & I are going to be heading to VA in April to do some training with her team. We'll be somewhere in the Winchester, VA area & will likely head over to DC for a day to see the sights.

Looking for suggestions on where we should find a hotel that's a good area, in reasonable distance between the 2 (Winchester & DC).

Edit: Also, what all do I need to know about driving/parking in DC?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15515 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Both the Ashby Inn in Paris, and the Red Fox Inn in Middleburg meet your criteria. Both are very nice, "historic" properties. I think most people would consider them on the expensive side.

If you are looking more for a chain-style hotel/motel, there are many in the Leesburg area, as well as some historic ones, and some B&Bs. Leesburg skews a little bit more "towards DC" than "towards Winchester." SWMBO and I spent a couple of nights at the Country Comfort B&B a few years ago, very nice. But Leesburg to Winchester is a little bit farther than I'd want to do for several days in a row.

Speaking of B&Bs, there are a ton of them scattered in that general area. I cannot speak any particular one, except the Inn at Little Washington, whose restaurant is among the best in the nation (and priced like it too). My understanding is that reservations have to be made well in advance (months to years).

There are plenty of chain hotels in Winchester itself too, maybe a better option if DC is just going to be a one-day side trip.

ETA: WRT driving/parking in DC - Except for rush hour, it is much like driving in the downtown area of any major city, slow with occasional stoppages. I would not drive willingly in rush hour (6:30AM-9:00AM, 2:30PM-7:30PM). You can generally find parking in a garage downtown if you get there before 9:00, after that it is more chancy. Meter parking is generally limited to 2 hours max., and spots are scarcer the closer you get to the sights. It is possible to park at a satellite lot and take the Metro, but these tend to fill up early too. Possible desired sights are not close together, even if you restrict yourself to just the Mall, you will spend hours walking around no matter where you park.

While we are talking about DC, remember, possession of firearms and ammunition without a DC permit is a felony, this includes unfilled cases, and spent ammo turned into jewelry. Knives and pepper spray are also proscribed. The tourist areas are as safe as anywhere, and during the day is OK, but people get robbed, sometimes killed, even in "nice" neighborhoods, e.g. on Capitol Hill, just blocks from the Supreme Court at night. Have an itinerary, be sure of your route, and stick to it.

Posts: 6569 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions. Not opposed to typical chain hotels. DC is likely to be a one day trip.
I believe our plan is to fly out on the evening of 4/6 & back to Houston on 4/9.

Posts: 15515 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Hot Tub Heaven

My favorite cabins are 1 and 3, 7 looks nice but never stayed there. The rest are larger for a family. Cheap decor, but nice enough. Full kitchens with pots, pans, silverware, and dishes. All units have a grill and hot tub, most have fireplaces or woodstove. All have record players with collection of old hits from thrift shops and candles to set the mood. Internet isn't great, but all have it. Cell service is poor, but works. 30 min or less to Winchester. 1:15 to DC (w/o traffic).

Girlfriend and I stay there whenever we need recharge. Super cheap, just barely more than a hotel with privacy and trees.

Pic from Valentine's 2017 trip, cabin #4 (sleeps 8 or ten, only stayed there because it was steeply discounted)

***Edit, spellchecker screwed up my first attempt at link, it's corrected now***

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20922 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
except the Inn at Little Washington

That's a bit out of the way. You can be to Winchester within an hour or DC within an hour but man, that's a hike....I'll bet there are better (and cheaper) options for the OP. Although, if you want to see some beautiful country, staying anywhere within Rappahannock County will be nice, plenty of B&B's all over.

That said, how long will you be staying P250UA5? Anything in particular you are looking for regarding price range?

Posts: 2843 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
That said, how long will you be staying P250UA5? Anything in particular you are looking for regarding price range?

My 2nd post has our travel dates. In on the afternoon of 4/6, out on 4/9.
Thinking we'll maybe look at staying in Winchester, since DC is a 1 day thing & the rest will be in VA.

Cost-wise, not needing anything fancy, since we'll literally only be there to sleep. So the typical chains are likely to suffice.

posted Hide Post
If you want a once in a lifetime experience (priced accordingly), try the Inn at Little Washington, Washington VA.

For something a little more reasonable, but still exceptional, the Goodstone Inn in Middleburg.

Never mind. Neither of these inns are just a place to sleep.

Posts: 694 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Putting a little more thought into this.
Wondering if it would make more sense to fly into the DC area on 4/6, stay in the surrounding area (Alexandria/Arlington/Bethesda), do DC on 4/7, then drive to Winchester & stay there 4/7-4/9.
Would save us from driving an hour if we found a mi-point to stay.

Staying in the DC area, what should be avoided?
Are the above, Alexandria, Arlington, Bethesda, ok areas?

Edit: Airports: Dulles or Reagan?

Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Ditto what architect said about rush hour. Tons of people commute from Winchester and Leesburg to DC.

Alternatives to going into DC include spend a few hours walking around Harpers Ferry WV, or a drive along Skyline Drive.

If you just want to see the major sights and don't car about going inside (like museums), you can go at night. All the monuments and memorials are lit up. You can park near the Lincoln Memorial and see it and the Vietnam and Korean memorials all in one stop/short walk.

From the Lincoln memorial it's 5 minutes to the Jefferson memorial, then go back to Lincoln, cross the river and it's a short hop to the USMC Memorial.

You can drive by the Capitol but you can only drive by the back side of the White House. In front of the White House, Pennsylvania Ave is blocked off.

When in DC, it would be best to not drive out of this area, day or night:

Posts: 4023 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
As far as sights, I'd love to go spend some time in the Air & Space Museum, I imagine I could spend days in there.
Others are the usuals, Washington & Lincoln, White House.

Have heard that DC isn't great at night from my dad, when he spent a couple days there.

Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Parking in DC is terrible. Plus, the only thing that works well with the government is parking enforcement.

The Metro and light rail give you parking and a fast trip into the city. That's how we traveled over the years.

Look at the Gray Line tours. They run tours that hit the high liters of the city. That lets you see the sites and identify which places you want to visit again.

The Smithsonian and its museums line the mall. We had a membership that lets us use the member dining area in the Natural History museum. A nice perk.

Your Congress critters can get you tickets to tour the White House. It very worthwhile.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6061 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
If you like Air & Space, their companion facility is The Udvar-Hazy Center near Dulles Airport in Chantilly, VA. The museum is free but it's $15 to park. Frown

Posts: 4023 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Thanks again all.
We're looking at flying in to Reagan. If she'll go along with it, Air & Space and Udvar-Hazy are a for sure. Will have to get an email to our congressman about the WH tour.

Local to DC, would you stay in Alexandria, Arlington, Bethesda, other?

Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
As far as sights, I'd love to go spend some time in the Air & Space Museum, I imagine I could spend days in there.
Others are the usuals, Washington & Lincoln, White House.

Have heard that DC isn't great at night from my dad, when he spent a couple days there.

Have you ever been to DC?

If your driving from Winchester or out that way and want to see the Air and Space do the Udvar-Hazy Center near Dulles airport. It's better then the one on the Mall IMHO. Do expect to make that a good half day or more. I wouldn't try and hit DC itself on the same day.

If you have never been to DC I will give the same advice I've given others for a best of DC in a day. Bring good walking shoes. Walk the Mall. See the monuments. If you have never done this you really should. The Mall area is very safe.

Night time in DC is fine as long as you know where your at. I've spent many evening in the city. I've even gone down around midnight to walk the mall at night. Seeing the monuments at night is special and the crowds are not there.

Parking is what it is but during the week you can get lucky and find street parking along the mall or a block or two off. Read all the parking sings. They will tell you what you need to know.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16425 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

Local to DC, would you stay in Alexandria, Arlington, Bethesda, other?

All are good but I would do Old Town Alexandria. Close to DC and stuff to see and eat all within walking distance.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16425 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Thanks comet, this will be both of our first time to DC. Based on the above, we may just do the mall on Friday.
Is the UH center open on Sunday? May be able to swing in there on the trip from Winchester to Reagan, depending on our flight back to Houston.

Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
If you can navigate rail lines I would stay outside of D.C. and metro everywhere. Passes are cheap compared to wasted time looking for parking.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5140 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Yes, open every day except Christmas, 10-5:30.

Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Also check hotels in Crystal City VA. From there it's a short subway ride to downtown DC or the airport.

Also, be aware that the Cherry Blossom Festival Link might be going on when you are there (higher hotel rates, tourists).

Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Edit: Airports: Dulles or Reagan?

Been through both of them, a lot when I was still working. Dulles is the place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reagan is swamped with traffic, much more so than Dulles.

And to reiterate! Be VERY CAREFUL about anything that even resembles firearms or supplies, parts, etc. Those idiots have no sense of humor.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25647 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post