SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Device for navigation and route tracing when phone GPS not available
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Device for navigation and route tracing when phone GPS not available Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Lots of suggestions. I'll check into them.

1. Gaia app for phone/tablet. I've got the Gaia app. I'll need to learn how to use it and download maps. It looks a little complicated at first but I'll spend some time with it. Looks like a subscription is necessary to fully benefit? Will the free level fit my needs?

2. Garmin seems like an option but a little wary since on-road navigation seems a little sketchy at times. However, if they are valuable off pavement, that may be good. Would like to test and compare a Garmin device vs Gaia app on phone/tablet. Even if Gaia works on the phone/tablet, I'll want a second backup device (phone or tablet may be primary, then the other. But may want a different system for backup).

3. Key is to download maps before needing them. Perhaps the key is to download all maps along the route since I won't know when I'll lose service (on-road is especially unpredictable but has happened unexpectedly several times this year already).

4. I'll look more into Garmin GPS and SOS devices. Sounds like they are a typical go to brand for these devices. Although I don't really know what features I'm looking for yet.

5. I'll look into sources and rates for sat phones too. No idea where to check. Maybe AAA?

6. Yea - I guess I meant when my phone doesn't have cell service so navigation doesn't work. To me, it's all black box so bottom line was nav wasn't working.. I'll look into the Backcountry nav app - available for iphone? Difference from Gaia app?

7. Paper map is a good idea. And I'm still intending to buy a compass as a tool of last resort. I'll buy it when I buy the bubba rope and soft shackles (I have hard shackles already).

8. I like the tablet, Gaia, Agama set up. Is that hard to do? I'll look into the Bad Elf adapter. I have recovery boards; I need to figure out how to mount and lock them to the roof rack. They take up too much space in the back.

9. I'll look into Spot; hopefully easy to compare and contrast vs a Garmin device.

10. OnX maybe an alternative to Gaia? Garmin InReach w/ texting may be a good solution. I assume I can send a GPS coordinate (I'm here) if I'm stuck someplace w/o an address or landmark. Good for backup if my phone (or primary system) dies for some reason.

We venture into isolated areas on occasion. To date, it's just been phone call pairs to my bro (I'm entering a place; expect to exit by X time. If you don't hear from me by X+Y time, I'm stuck somewhere in that area.).

Am seeking:
1) Primary GPS for on-road and off-pavement that doesn't depend on cell service. Ability to leave breadcrumbs for back tracking.

2) Backup GPS for #1. Same or different system but equally capable.

3) Paper maps + compass

4) Method to signal for help that doesn't depend on cell service - works from anywhere, anytime. Hopefully also includes ability to send GPS location without me knowing location.

Happy trails! Smile

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12762 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I have yet to pay for Gaia but I have not taken any big trips yet.
All have been fairly close to home but here is a link to get the year subscription for $32. If/when I get to do a big trip it will be purchased.
https://www.gaiagps.com/discounts/#_r_revereoverland

There is a bit of a learning curve but it is not bad you just have to fiddle with it. I mess with it and learn the features on local trails that I have done or when I am with someone more well versed with the area than me.

There are a bunch of YouTube how tos and a bunch of them are brutal (like many YouTube videos).
I find Lifestyle Overland to be the easiest to watch.

AGAMA is $5 in the android App Store. It is not bad to setup. I was learning Android at the same time so it took me a couple of evenings to setup but I also don’t do a whole lot with it so my setup was very simple.
But once I got it organized to how I like it I have not messed with it.

You essentially download the apps you plan to use and delete everything else to keep it running smooth and as fast as possible.
Download AGAMA then run it. Choose the Home Screen you want (the one I pictured covered my options and was visually pleasing). You then long push each Icon and you can choose the app associated with it and you can rename it. That is pretty much it aside from deciding where you want each option.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25452 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Gia and On x are both decent apps but require a subscription and you have to download maps of the area you want to explore …so.. what happens if you decide to explore a different trail that you haven’t downloaded yet and you’re out of cell phone service?? I haven’t had a good response to that yet…

I am contemplating buying the Garmin Overlander. I have a couple of buds who swear by it off-road.. It’s not cheap but it beats getting lost.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/685257

For communication I can highly recommend the Garmin InReach. I have used this in every continent but Antarctica and in places where I’ve been literally hundreds of miles from any civilization. I have a family member who is intimately involved in SF intelligence and satellite imagery and she was impressed at how accurate and quick the signal was sent half way around the world…

I like that you can leave “breadcrumbs” at a prescribed interval so that you can back trace your travels if you’d like. You can also set up a webpage through Garmin that you can allow certain people to follow you and see where you are at any given time or where you’ve been.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/561269

Here is a breadcrumb map from a recent trip to Big Bend, TX and New Mexico

https://i.imgur.com/fl3ft1r.png

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6335 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greymann:
Paper map, if you can find any or gps.
Android uses cell towers.

Every android phone I’ve had and my Galaxy Tab S6 have GPS. That isn’t to say every android device has GPS built in, but many of them do. The google maps app has or at least had the ability to download maps for offline use and works on iOS devices as well. The maps are probably limited for off road. You’ll want topographic maps. Garmin has these available and they work on their handheld devices. Another benefit of Garmin vs phone or tablet is battery life.

A compass is handy when you can’t get a GPS fix. I’ve had this happen in on the ATV trails in the Black Mountain recreation area in Northern Michigan. It’s a small enough area where if I know which way is which, I can get back to the truck. Most of the time the sun let’s me know east or west.

Posts: 11027 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Bubba rope is a recovery strap that enables a stuck vehicle to be pulled out by another vehicle. If you are going that far off grid (GPS) , you need a self recovery come-along.

Hi-Lift can function as a winch or jack.
https://hi-lift.com/2021/01/hi...cks-vs-the-arb-jack/
X Bull recovery Boards from Amazon.Different colors are at a lower price.
https://www.amazon.com/X-BULL-...&keywords=x+bull+rec

Posts: 2306 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
You do NOT need a paid subscription to use Gaia. A subscription opens up some features that are not otherwise (like different types of maps, etc.). I was always too cheap to get the subscription, and it always met my needs.

"Cheapskate" also drove me to choose the SPOT. I had my messages set up for SOS (this is a default one), which meant "I need help NOW"; "Help not urgent", which went to my daughter with coordinates so she could call the local sheriff to come get me; and "I'm OK", to let people know I'm OK (also with coordinates), even though they haven't heard from me in days. Had I wanted to be able to send custom texts (and not been so cheap), I would have chosen the InReach.

If you're looking at recovery straps, consider a Matt's Off-Road Recovery rope. It may be a bit bulkier to store, but I like Matt!

Bear in mind that recovery ropes and straps are dynamic (i.e., they are designed to stretch), so you won't be able to effectively use them with a Hi-Lift.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3302 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
been following this thread as I had an unsatisfying run-in with my first use of the SYNCH3 Ford App/Android Nav app to enable use of the 48" in-dash screen of my Ranger. OK, exaggerated size but it's alarmingly prominent.

In the 6 months since last trial run, I had forgotten all the little tricks to getting all the parts to align with my ability to use them.

App had to download a new upgrade. Then a series of foibles I couldn't manage while driving. Then while waiting in the parking lot of where I went on errand, I wrassled with various prompts & approvals.

No I don't want to talk to my radio. No I don't want to give out access & various permissions of other apps that it wants to make it run. No you don't need access to Contacts/Camera/Calendar/etc to show me the damn map.

I had forgotten all the petty annoyances about getting the AndroidAuto app running.

Which is why I rely on the more primitive tiny screen of Garmen. And this was just on-road version, in a rural county where I can find my own way around.

Still, there are some good lessons here.
OP: Hope you find the answer you seek.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Up front, I admit that I am an old low tech guy. I have been using TomToms for years. Mine show unnamed, unpaved rods, and where you are even off-road. The type I have use what is labeled the "Easy Menu", that even I can figure out.

Funny thing, My wife and her sis are on an out of state road trip, and using their hi tech, whatever, "smart phones" for navigation. They unexpectedly went through an area without cell service. Guess what. They got lost. Spoke to her last night. Said she's taking one of our TomToms on her next road trip....

NRA Life

Posts: 1567 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
The Garmin Inreach coupled to your phone via the Earthmate app (which is a free garmin product).

SPOT is worthless compared to Garmin's Inreach network. I've been in places multiple times when SPOT didn't work and the INreach did. EVERYONE up North uses Inreach.

I have a business plan with them, that lets me suspend my service as much as I want (which lowers the fee to $5 a month), otherwise I have unlimited messaging, tracking, and SOS for $65 a month. I use my phone and text my contacts. I use the tracking to let friends, family, & employees know where I am. Alaska has a lot of highways, roads, and trails that are far from cell service. I use the navigation features, and pre-download maps for the areas I'm going to be in. The Inreach is also your typical handheld GPS, and the app just lets you do everything on your phone. I typically leave the Inreach in a RAM mount on my ATV, or on the dash of my truck, and the Bluetooth connect to my phone for up to quite a distance away. Plenty to walk around, or communicate from the tent.

I also have pro/subscriptions to Gaia GPS, AllTrails, and OnX Hunt.

I do find OnX hunt useful, but again...you've got to download the maps you want ahead of time. I tend to use both, as both have a cloud service that backs up your waypoints and tracks once you're back to the "world".

Actually, the Inreach can sync from nearly anywhere...so you can send waypoints and tracks to friends you want to meet you somewhere. You can also link directly with other INreach units (friends or coworkers), and communicate directly with each other via the INreach (text communication, not tracking). Garmin has other trail communication devices that show each others locations on a moving map display, I don't go into the field with multiple units, so I don't typically need those.

IMO, for what you are describing....you should grab an Inreach, and couple it to your phone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks!!

Black - thanks for the videos - will watch those tonight. Will try to practice with the app a bit to learn how to use it. But I hope the map downloads are area based and not specific trails (and what do you do if there is no trail?). Area of interest is mostly predictive; specific trails may be a runtime decision.

Will look carefully at the InReach offerings. And the Overlander. Hi Lift Jack looks interesting too, especially since I'm still stock height.

Will look at Matt's rope - wonder how it's different from Bubba.

AK - any specific InReach model recommendations? When I couple it to my phone, what does that do?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12762 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Garmin E Trex hand held unit. Old school- set waypoints, even though no roads are showing up on unit.
Bubba rope only works if another vehicle can attach to it. Old school- chain or strap around tree- Hi lift to winch out using chain or rope. Hi lift also can lift truck where a typical scissor jack cannot.
Flat repair kit is also needed. Portable air compressor helps. Spare gas can also is helpful- Rotopax or Waivian.

Posts: 2306 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by AKSuperDually:

SPOT is worthless compared to Garmin's Inreach network. I've been in places multiple times when SPOT didn't work and the INreach did. EVERYONE up North uses Inreach.

/QUOTE]

When I got my SPOT, their maps showed pretty good North American coverage. Actually, only a few blank spots worldwide. So it seemed good enough for me. I never really used the heck out of it (i.e., needed it for rescue). All the messages I sent seemed to get through, not that there were a lot of them.

My only InReach experience is from a guide that had one on a trip I took in Utah. Guide had to pop up on top of the canyon wall to get it to go through (expected and not surprising). InReach has the advantage of letting you know if the message when through, as well as custom messages (e.g., "We're ready for pickup, cone get us"). Like I said before, if I weren't such a cheapskate sometimes, I probably would have gone with InReach.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3302 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IntrepidTraveler:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by AKSuperDually:

/QUOTE]

When I got my SPOT, their maps showed pretty good North American coverage. Actually, only a few blank spots worldwide. So it seemed good enough for me. I never really used the heck out of it (i.e., needed it for rescue). All the messages I sent seemed to get through, not that there were a lot of them.

My only InReach experience is from a guide that had one on a trip I took in Utah. Guide had to pop up on top of the canyon wall to get it to go through (expected and not surprising). InReach has the advantage of letting you know if the message when through, as well as custom messages (e.g., "We're ready for pickup, cone get us"). Like I said before, if I weren't such a cheapskate sometimes, I probably would have gone with InReach.
My family scrambled a rescue after my SPOT couldn't get a message out for nearly 2 weeks on a hunt North of Fairbanks.

Never had a problem with InReach, all the way North to the Arctic Ocean.

I was in a motorcycle wreck on the Dempster Highway a couple years ago. My riding partner had a Spot, prior to my purchase of an Inreach. Couldn't get a message out. Couldn't get the SOS to send.

We both have InReach now. The rescuers and other riders who came by, all had Inreach, and all were able to get messages in and out.

"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Thanks!!

Black - thanks for the videos - will watch those tonight. Will try to practice with the app a bit to learn how to use it. But I hope the map downloads are area based and not specific trails (and what do you do if there is no trail?). Area of interest is mostly predictive; specific trails may be a runtime decision.

Will look carefully at the InReach offerings. And the Overlander. Hi Lift Jack looks interesting too, especially since I'm still stock height.

Will look at Matt's rope - wonder how it's different from Bubba.

AK - any specific InReach model recommendations? When I couple it to my phone, what does that do?

Youtube Video Review of Inreach & Earthmate

www.rikrlandvs.com