SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Lightweight windbreaker / rain jacket suggestions please
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lightweight windbreaker / rain jacket suggestions please Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I like Colombia. West Marine sells several different Colombia ones just like your old one, because I just bought one.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LL Bean Trail Model Rain Jacket.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16098 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I like Colombia. West Marine sells several different Colombia ones just like your old one, because I just bought one.

Their website only has 3 jackets, none with hoods that fold into the collar, and none in larger sizes.

quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

This doesn't have a stowaway hood either.

Being redundant, I'm looking for a lightweight rain / windbreaker jacket, 3xl, suitable for 3 seasons, if with hood - stowable, and a chest pocket (exterior preferred) for a large screen cellphone.

Still looking for someone to weigh in on the Columbia Tieton Trails soft shell jacket warmth.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16225 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Screw it. Big Grin

Ordered the Columbia Tieton Trails soft shell jacket in Heather Gray 3XL. The $39 deal was running out of inventory....

Figure that it at least breathes where my old Columbia Cougar Peaks II nylon fabric didn't causing moisture build up inside on warmer Spring and Fall days. Hopefully the Tieton Trails won't prove too warm in milder days.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16225 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ch23701
posted Hide Post
A Filson Neoshell Reliance jacket for me. Not cheap, but typical Filson quality..

Posts: 258 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: September 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Hope you like it, bald1! Seems like a really good deal.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
Hope you like it, bald1! Seems like a really good deal.

I'll let you know. Smile

And looking forward to your comparo between the two you have just ordered (Otte Gear Alpine and Columbia Ascender). Big Grin

As an aside the Cougar Peaks replaced a Sportif Gore-Tex jacket that got ripped up of the same basic design. Would have gone with a replacement but couldn't find that model or similar at the time. And these days it appears they no longer offer jackets.

quote:
Originally posted by ch23701:
A Filson Neoshell Reliance jacket for me. Not cheap, but typical Filson quality..

Nice and it checks all my boxes but at <gasp> $395 that's w-a-y outside my comfort zone.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
And for those following both of our threads, here's a nice summary (to augment corsair's great posts) of soft-shell vs rain jacket or hardshell styles:
https://www.switchbacktravel.c...s-a-softshell-jacket

USN (RET), COTEP #192

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I was issued a all weather parka made by propper. They have them on sale now for $99 but only have xl....usually $400. All goretex. Mine came with the inner liner but I see they have separate now.

https://www.propper.com/uscg-f...arka-ii-propper.html

Inside secret pocket two exterior pockets, and two flap pockets on the front.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11288 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
I was issued a all weather parka

Mike,
I was issued a lot of stuff in my army enlisted days (M65 field jacket, etc.) and bought a lot of uniform items as a naval officer but nothing like what I was looking for currently. Closest was a military spec cold weather hooded gore-tex camo parka shell that was part of an extensive kit I was obligated to keep in my vehicle. It was USAF issued to me as a civilian member of Wing Battle Staff and crash site recovery team.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
bald1, looks like you got some good feedback and took the plunge. There's not much more insight I can provide when it comes to this category of jackets. It's highly competitive and the most crowded category with endless variety of styles, silhouettes and branded technologies. Main differences is cost, features (like pkts, packability, hood), fit and color options.

The easiest breakdown is the overall construction of the garments as per they're being waterproof. Most jackets are constructed in a 2-ply method, meaning there's a hanging liner (fabric or, mesh) on the inside, same as a sport coat. Easier to build, warmer, can use a broad variety of fabrics and generally more affordable to the price sensitive. The 2.5-ply method is very popular amongst travelers, backpacks and people seeking super-light, packabilty, greater breathability but, not as durable as a 2-ply. After several years of usage, the bonded inner coating will begin to deteriorate, usually in the areas where the skin touches, neckline, wrists, arms. Avg $99-150, its not a big budget spend, as you can get a new color every 5-years.

These three 2.5L styles dominate the outdoor industry and overwhelmingly make-up a majority of outerwear sales:
Marmot- Precip
TNF- Venture
Patagonia- Torentshell

At the pinilcle of construction technology is 3-ply my favorite, however I'm not going to go there as it'll require a lot more explaining, I'll just say, you'll spend at least $300+. There has been some technology developments over the last 10-years. Polartec came out with their NeoShell laminate, and that was poised to challenge Gore-Tex dominance as it could be bonded to both hard- and soft-shell textiles however, the factory in S.Korea burned down, which torpedoed those ambitions for awhile. Looks like they're trying to give it another go, I had a Marmot soft-shell using NeoShell, that was waterproof and was a favorite for quite awhile. The North Face recently pushed away from Gore-Tex and developed their own called FutureLight, the claim is not needing pit-zips since the tech breathes so well. Several of their noted and respected athletes are enthusiastic about it, we'll see how this jacket does this winter.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
bald1, I don't think you did bad at all. For the price and options you were looking for it should fit your needs well. The fleece will make it warm on the cooler days and still stay dry. The Glennaker is not lined so it works better in the summer while golfing, but at a higher price point. Good luck with your purchase and let us know how you like it.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by petr:
bald1, I don't think you did bad at all. For the price and options you were looking for it should fit your needs well.

Thanks petr. Will do. Smile
Note that the Glennacker Lake is 100% nylon like my old Cougar Peaks II so it won't breathe during hot summer days. Something I now found myself moving away from.

quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
bald1, looks like you got some good feedback and took the plunge. There's not much more insight I can provide when it comes to this category of jackets.

Thanks corsair for weighing in here. And yeah this will be my first soft-shell if my original Marmont DriClime Windshirt that one of my sons now has doesn't count. Big Grin

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Kohls has the Columbia jackets with a Buy one, get one 50% off. You can do one Men's or Women's if desired.

Posts: 4081 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:

Their website only has 3 jackets, none with hoods that fold into the collar, and none in larger sizes.

quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

This doesn't have a stowaway hood either.

Being redundant, I'm looking for a lightweight rain / windbreaker jacket, 3xl, suitable for 3 seasons, if with hood - stowable, and a chest pocket (exterior preferred) for a large screen cellphone.

Still looking for someone to weigh in on the Columbia Tieton Trails soft shell jacket warmth.

The Watertight II, the hood does fold into the collar as it's the one I just bought. But yes, West Marine only shows it as large as a 2x. That being said I bought it to replace a 5-7 year old one that blew overboard on a yacht delivery and it's still very good quality, lightweight, waterproof and everything the old one was.

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Watertight II, the hood does fold into the collar as it's the one I just bought. But yes, West Marine only shows it as large as a 2x.

jimmy123x you have me baffled. Roll Eyes
Neither the Columbia website nor reviews by users (including YouTube videos) as well as these below mention a stowable hood. No pictures of the hood other than worn or hanging on the back. Frown Every place I looked there was zip mention of that as a feature which is why I eliminated it from consideration. Keep in mind Columbia does tout that feature on other models.
https://www.outdoorgearlab.com...lumbia-watertight-ii
https://www.switchbacktravel.c...lumbia-watertight-II
https://www.outdoorhub.com/rev...atertight-ii-jacket/
https://www.backcountry.com/co...tertight-jacket-mens

quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
Kohls has the Columbia jackets with a Buy one, get one 50% off.

petr pointed that out on page one. Plus they don't carry my size. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
Zoom in on the top picture with the magnifier, it's not mentioned but you'll see the seem for it on the outside of what looks like a collar. It rolls towards the jacket and has velcro strips that hold it, like a collar. I can take some pictures of mine and email them to you if you want to see how it works, but hood rolls up into collar.

https://www.columbia.com/p/men...433_color=613&pos=22

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Thanks corsair for weighing in here. And yeah this will be my first soft-shell if my original Marmont DriClime Windshirt that one of my sons now has doesn't count. Big Grin

The DriClime Windshirt is a legacy style, one of the all-time great mid-layers or, stand alone pieces. When I was climbing on Denali, that piece and my base layer was all I needed at the lower parts of the glacier, as the weather changed, all I had to do was throw my shell on top, and the slick shell of the wind shirt would slip n'slide underneath while keeping me toast and all without the big bulk of a fleece or, insulated piece. Of course when the temps dipped and at night I had my down jacket Cool

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
KUIU is my choice. First raincoat that hasn't made me sweat like a pig in warmer weather. Breathes really well!! Pricey though.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
The DriClime Windshirt is a legacy style, one of the all-time great mid-layers or, stand alone pieces. Cool

:thumbsup: Big Grin

quote:
Zoom in on the top picture with the magnifier, it's not mentioned but you'll see the seem for it on the outside of what looks like a collar. It rolls towards the jacket and has velcro strips that hold it, like a collar.

I looked and frankly don't see what you want me to. No biggie as I've already ordered the Tieton Trails....

USN (RET), COTEP #192