SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why aren't there floor drains in homes?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why aren't there floor drains in homes? Login/Join 
Team Apathy
posted
I've often wished there were floor drains in certain parts of the home... specifically in the kitchen and bathrooms. They seem that they would be useful when doing a real wet mop or in the event of a under sink leak. With multiple young children in the house we have suffered several toilet overflows... a floor drain would be great at containing the mess.

Is there a reason it isn't done?

Posts: 6364 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Unsanitary? Cost?

My previous home, built in the early 50s, had floor drains in the basement.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Floor drains are great until the sewer main clogs and the sewage backs up.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I'll just take a guess and say that there would be no way to keep sewer gases, creepy crawly creatures and other undesirables out.

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
I'm no plumber but I imagine it is possible to put in a trap when construction... sure, slab foundation would make repairs very difficult later on, but how is it different than a bath tub?

Very curious...

I've seen them in commercial kitchens and it seems that they generally have a sink that has it's drain piped over to the floor... I suppose that gives it a "purpose" and regular supply of water... and be easily hidden under a cabinet.

Posts: 6364 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
A trap in the line would keep gases out, but you would have to run water every so often to keep it from drying out.
The trap wouldn't help at all with a sewer line backup, though.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16514 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
That's what old shop vacs are good for.
Or good shop vacs that become the old shop vac and is stored out with the lawnmower after it's hosed out.

Posts: 1477 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
There are plenty of floor drains in commercial bathrooms and kitchens without the hazards mentioned in previous posts, also in every shower stall. Granted, they do take a certain amount of maintenance, probably not that much of a labor saver after all is said and done.

Posts: 6470 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
I'll just take a guess and say that there would be no way to keep sewer gases, creepy crawly creatures and other undesirables out.

but it's no different from a shower drain. Just have the be sure all the water doesn't evaporate from the trap.

I know a guy who did one for his laundry room, but it doesn't connect to sewer. It just drains outside like the overflow of a water heater.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10926 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My house was built in 1977. There is a floor drain in the laundry room downstairs.
Sometimes I have to pour some baking soda down the drain to combat odors.

Posts: 954 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Because we don't live at the YMCA?

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Cost. It’s always about the cost. The plumbing wouldn’t add much, but the only kind of kitchen floor would be tile. You’d have to bed the floor, building it up like a giant shower pan to get the proper slope. Then you’d need to tile the whole thing. That’s way more expensive than just laying down some laminate or wood. Even a tile kitchen floor could be laid on hardibacker, quick and easily, if there is no regard for slope.

Most homeowners don’t consider the additional 10k worth it, I’d guess. I wouldn’t. I have hardwoods in my kitchen, and like their feel and look. I wouldn’t want a commercial looking floor with a slope.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
My sister lives in Nashville Ga.Not very important for a sleepy little town. But at near see level and next to oki swamp and a town with drainage ditches behind streets and a big rain it causes your neighbors toilets to back up thru their shitter and tub to hers.
Being the smartass brother my advive on the first last time was to tell her to have a plumber put in a sewer check valve [used pretty much around my hilly sub division ]cause others shit in your basement is unsightly and stink to high heaven..
Well it happen twice last year,she is stubborn as a mule,she got new carpet and furniture and on my visit last fall I only stayed on night.
04:00 am I was leaving much to their protesting ,She said WHY as I am coughing and my eyes were watering.
The morel is you can get used to about all kinds of smells , [they did not even notice the smell]and she still has not had a back flow preventer installed.
No way in hell do I want to clean up rubbers turds and shit paper from other folks as she described to me.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:
I've often wished there were floor drains in certain parts of the home... specifically in the kitchen and bathrooms.
Is there a reason it isn't done?

Here's the issue.... drains require traps, especially those connected to sanitary sewers, to stop sewer gas coming up. Commodes, sinks, showers, tubs, are used frequently enough to keep their traps filled and functioning. Just like the floor drain in your basement that is seldom used, you better pour water in it every few weeks. Or fill it with oil.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
Trap primers keep floor drain traps sealed with water.
Two types, an inverted branch tailpiece on the drain or a trap primer from the cold feed to the fixture.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1088 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My laundry room and master bath will have them .
( In my forever dream house)

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54638 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You didn't get penetration
even with the elephant gun.
Picture of cheeze
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Because we don't live at the YMCA?

You beat me to it. I was going to say because we don’t live in an interstate rest stop.

I’m a builder and I gotta say you guys aren’t even scratching the surface on all the reasons why you don’t want this.

DONT TREAD ON ME

Posts: 2246 | Location: AZ | Registered: January 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Sure, put drains in the floor and tile all the walls. Stainless steel walls would also suffice. Then you don't ever have to worry about dusting, mopping, or vacuuming. Just hose everything down with your pressure washer once a week or so.

Though I suppose you'll also want to invest in some of those thick plastic covers for your furniture, like grandma used to have back in the day.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A floor drain in a home kitchen..... Big Grin Sure it sounds pragmatic and efficient but, so does only wearing t-shirts all the time, for all occasions.
If my home was a commercial kitchen where full, disinfecting wash downs nightly are mandatory, ok. However the lady of the house may have a thing or, two to say about that idea.

The prepared parent has a shop-vac and a handheld vacuum readily available, several buckets/tubs and saves all towels, regardless of how old and worn they are.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
A bunch of compartments aboard ship have deck drains. Galley, magazines, head and adjoining dressing/lockers, compactor room…no P traps, but each fitting has a valve to close them.

We used to assign a person each week to clean the heads. Every day he washed the entire compartment in the head using a garden hose and pine oil.

The magazines hav a drain in case you have to turn on the sprinklers to avoid fire spreading-water has to go somewhere….

Galley was the same way, daily the mess cooks washed everything down the drain.

My dad always threatened to put deck drains in the next house when I was a kid, so he could wash down the room.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11280 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post