SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tour de France 2018
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tour de France 2018 Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I’m having a harder time getting into the race itself than in the past. Maybe the unfamiliarity of personalities, or poor memory for names, etc. but one thing I always enjoy is the scenery. Every part of France is just beautiful, to me.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Today’s stage 11, in the Alps: Geraint Thomas (Sky) had an excellent result, moving up one place to get the yellow jersey. Chris Froome (Sky) moved up four places, and now is second in the GC competition. Sky is looking strong.

Big GC losers: Valverde and Fuglsang, each losing eight places. And Yates lost nine places.

In the green jersey competition, Sagan has a strong lead with 339 points. New guy Gaviria is second with 218 points. Greipel is having a bad year with 106 points. Mark Cavendish is out of the Tour after finishing outside the stage's time limit. Snif – I liked Cav. Kittel was over the limit too. Mountain stages are tough for the pure sprinters.

Tough to see a great sprinter like Cavendish get dropped. Always fun to see him play on the final day in the Champs-Elysees.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the Team Sky bus. Froome is the team leader, but now you've got Geraint Thomas looking incredibly strong and is 1 1/2 minutes ahead of him. Team Sky is looking as strong as ever, it will just be interesting to see who ends up getting the support.

Posts: 499 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: September 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sr_Bull:
quote:

In the green jersey competition, Sagan has a strong lead with 339 points. New guy Gaviria is second with 218 points. Greipel is having a bad year with 106 points. Mark Cavendish is out of the Tour after finishing outside the stage's time limit. Snif – I liked Cav. Kittel was over the limit too. Mountain stages are tough for the pure sprinters.

Tough to see a great sprinter like Cavendish get dropped. Always fun to see him play on the final day in the Champs-Elysees.

That's the consequence of a relatively very short stage but lots and lots of climbing.

I'm actually very much enjoying this year's tour. I really can't say who will definitely win. Obviously Froome is still the favorite, but I'd say it's still up in the air.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30954 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
the thing I like the most about the Tour de France, is that its in France and all the bikers that were here clogging the roads during the off-season have left Tucson and are clogging the roads elsewhere

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53852 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
I raced with a kid, Lawson Craddock, at the Altek Velodrome in Houston. Look him up. He crashed the first day. Face plant and broken shoulder blade. He is in last place...but still going.

Never say never.

The human spirit...

Lawson Craddock

CW

Posts: 3208 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Craddock is an animal. Staying inside the time limits in that race, over all that terrain, with a fractured scapula is impressive. And he donates money after each stage to his local Houston velodrome. I think with all the publicity and social media donations they are up near $100k

Posts: 167 | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Awesome day! What an incredible race on Alpe d'Huez.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30954 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Awesome day! What an incredible race on Alpe d'Huez.

It was, indeed. Geraint Thomas look really strong this year, but maintains that he’s still a team rider. From BBC News:

‘Despite now leading overall by more than a minute and a half, Thomas insisted that Froome's Grand Tour pedigree means he remains in the service of the defending champion.

"Maybe I can keep the jersey for the the next few days," he said.

"This race is so hard and you never know how the body reacts. I am still riding for Froomey, he knows how to ride for three weeks. He is a legend, one of the best ever."’

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9478 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
How in God's name did Peter Sagan manage to finish fourth on today's stage. Technically a mountain stage. What? That man is simply incredible. What an amazing athlete. And only 12 secs off the stage winner.

If you couldn't tell, I'm just really impressed with that Slovakian.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^
Me too. A good sprinter that’s also a good all-‘rounder. A very rare combo.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9478 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I have not followed the race as closely as I used to, but to me, there is hardly any segments devoted to the bikes, equiptment, technology as in previous TDF broadcasts. Maybe I have missed those.

Concerning Cavendish, great racer, but I had become oversaturated with all the ranting and raving the broadcasters were showering on him.

Not only this race, but previous races too.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
After today’s penultimate stage, an individual time trial, Geraint Thomas (Sky) has effectively won the Tour de France. Tomorrow’s stage will be a champagne-sipping cakewalk for all, except the sprinters. The Dutchman, Tom Dumoulin (Sunweb), is 2nd. Chris Froome (Sky) had a good ride, moving up one place to get the 3rd podium slot.

Julian Alaphilippe has the polka dot jersey, and I don’t think that there are enough points at stake for anyone to take Sagan’s green jersey.

Serious about crackers

Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
After today’s penultimate stage, an individual time trial, Geraint Thomas (Sky) has effectively won the Tour de France. Tomorrow’s stage will be a champagne-sipping cakewalk for all, except the sprinters. The Dutchman, Tom Dumoulin (Sunweb), is 2nd. Chris Froome (Sky) had a good ride, moving up one place to get the 3rd podium slot.

Julian Alaphilippe has the polka dot jersey, and I don’t think that there are enough points at stake for anyone to take Sagan’s green jersey.

Sagan has had the Green jersey locked up for about a week now.

It's been a great race as far as I'm concerned. I quite enjoyed this year's tour. Geraint Thomas is a worthy champion and deserves the yellow jersey. Absolutely great ride today by Froome. I'm not upset at all that he did not win the yellow, but I would've liked to have seen him win today's time trial. Lost by 1 second! Great ride nonetheless. Chapeau.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)