SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Defective Bourbon: What to do?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Defective Bourbon: What to do? Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Find wino and make his day?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31436 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Went by the store where the bourbon was purchased to discuss the bad bottle (those who have been following the "Bottom-Shelf Whiskey" thread know I'm talking about my current favorite... Kentucky Tavern), and before I even entered the store saw the signs posted "No Returns or Refunds Allowed". As already warned, the clerk on duty told me it was against their policy to provide any type of return or exchange / refund, however she called the boss who requested I leave my name, phone number and pertinent info on the whiskey in question and they would see what could be done about it.

In the meantime, a discount was offered on a 1.75L bottle of Kentucky Tavern "Special Select", which I decided to go ahead and try, and of course it tasted perfect as has all of the other bottles previously purchased! It was just this one bottle that tasted of "soil"... so will wait to see if anything becomes of if from the store in question, but I'm not holding my breath. Oh well, we're talking about a $10.00 bottle of bourbon here, not something expensive, so I'm not going to get my panties in a wad over it or waste a lot of time on it while elevating my blood pressure... right? Big Grin

Posts: 4585 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
I like to drink coke. In the summer, if I purchase 12 pack of coke and it is in a vehicle for an extended time, that 12 pack tastes "off" to me. My guess is the temp is hard on the sugar (corn syrup) and causes the issue. Only time it happens has been specifically when 12 pack has been ex posed to a high temp (guessing above 90).

I said all that to say, there is sugar in bourbon, maybe the sugar went bad...

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
... and tastes like the soil from the ground?!? Doubt it... but thanks for the input anyway.

This was a bad barrel that this bottle came from, no doubt in my mind! Unfortunately since it is cheap, there is no lot number to track it by, so will never know happened.

Posts: 4585 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Yes, when the sugar goes bad, to me, the taste is dirt like. Sure, it sounds far fetched, I thought it odd. Helped convince myself by taking out a single can in a known good lot. Apply heat, bad taste followed.

You yourself said it is likely from the same batch and previous was fine. That sort of eliminates your bad barrel theory.

I get my reason sounds far fetched. It might not even be right. I am simply offering something that in my experience might explain what you are experiencing. The dirt flavor is why I posted. That likely isn't a description most would use.

Heck, maybe I just need to go to the Dr. for heart issues.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
- Plastic cap with the safety ring and no sign of tampering, so nothing has been "introduced" to the contents after bottling; it was well sealed when I opened it.

I was more concerned that the bottle was "corked", as seems happened to maxwayne. Corking is when an innocuous but foul-smelling cork fungus contaminates the liquor. It is medically harmless to humans, just smells bad. It happens more often to wine, but it can happen to whiskey sometimes as well.

And fortunately the fix is easy. Pour the contents into a bowl with a piece of saran wrap in it. The offending chemicals will bind to the plastic in seconds, and render the liquor drinkable again. Might give it a try, nothing to lose at this point.

Cork taint

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16347 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
... and tastes like the soil from the ground?!? Doubt it... but thanks for the input anyway.

This was a bad barrel that this bottle came from, no doubt in my mind! Unfortunately since it is cheap, there is no lot number to track it by, so will never know happened.

It's possible that it was the very last bottle from the barrel and the barrel had sediment In it.

I once had a bottle of Dom Perignon where the bottom half of the bottle had small pieces of crap in it......like small pieces of tough grape skin...….

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:

It's possible that it was the very last bottle from the barrel and the barrel had sediment In it.

I once had a bottle of Dom Perignon where the bottom half of the bottle had small pieces of crap in it......like small pieces of tough grape skin...….

Inexpensive bourbon is batched, as in many barrels are blended together. Before that, they are filtered.

I've had cider and wine that tasted as the OP describes. I even had one example I'd describe as closer to "cow pie", but wine circles refer to it as "barnyard".

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post