SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Alabama Trooper Handgun Malfunction twice in strugglep
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alabama Trooper Handgun Malfunction twice in strugglep Login/Join 
Picture of HayesGreener
posted
Trying to figure out what happened with the trooper's gun. Last I knew they carry a G17.

https://mynbc15.com/news/local...njured-in-livingston

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I couldnt find any mention of a malfunction in the several articles I read on the situation. I know at one time, felons in jail were practicing how to disarm cops so I would guess it was a gun grab attempt that forced the gun out of battery, keeping it from firing.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
From the article, it sounds like the Trooper placed him in his cruiser without putting cuffs on, or perhaps front cuffed. I’m not allowed to transport ANY arrestee without them cuffed behind their back, much less 6 separate warrants. This story appears full of holes.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15579 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:

While en route, Wade began to curse and kick the windows of the trooper’s vehicle. The trooper pulled over at the Shell station on Alabama 28 in Livingston to try to calm him down, according to the deposition.

Not an LEO and never have been, so maybe I'm speaking outta my back-side, but, at this point, knowing his guy was highly-agitated, would it not have been wise to call for backup before trying to get him out and cuff him?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No round in the chamber ??

------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

While en route, Wade began to curse and kick the windows of the trooper’s vehicle. The trooper pulled over at the Shell station on Alabama 28 in Livingston to try to calm him down, according to the deposition.

Not an LEO and never have been, so maybe I'm speaking outta my back-side, but, at this point, knowing his guy was highly-agitated, would it not have been wise to call for backup before trying to get him out and cuff him?

Amongst some departments and individuals, there's a machismo-culture of 'doing it on your own'. While some situations an officer should be able handle things on their own, the reality is in today's hyper-critical, anti-police culture, that line of thinking will get that person killed or, implicated into something they didn't do. There's no shortage of anti-police organizations to advocate, represent and railroad an officer for anything they perceive as being wrong; calling for backup, support, additional hands and eyeballs to assist is almost a default to assist in the arrest and provide additional support for any post-arrest legal proceedings.

Will be interesting to hear more about the happenings with this.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Should’ve had a Ruger P90. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
They only have 500 troopers statewide. Troopers are far and few between

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
They only have 500 troopers statewide. Troopers are far and few between

Local agency for the assist?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Manual safety? There have been a number of incidents over the decades where attackers have gotten LEOs guns, but couldn't fire them because they didn't know to disengage the manual safety. It's one of the major advantages of MS pistols.

quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
No round in the chamber ??

------------------------

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Something sounds funny about parts of the story. should have placed subject in cuffs/behind the back before placing him in the cruiser and even then the subject possibly could get their hands around from back to front... as far as weapon malfunction could be several reasons. ... And as far as back being called maybe not being readily available................................ drill sgt.

Posts: 2007 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
The media never gets it right.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^
That is true. Just like Binger in the trial. The nomenclature and basics are not that complex.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Should’ve had a Ruger P90. Big Grin
Even without ammo, you still have a weapon.
That brick is going to do some damage.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I attend church with a State Trooper. This morning (early service) we talked a little bit about this incident. He didn't want to say too much about it because it is still being investigated but he did say they are currently issued Glock model 45's. He said they recently switched from Glock 22's and it is possible the Trooper involved was still carrying one of those. He did not have any info on why the gun malfunctioned.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We'd need the full video and interviews to have a better picture. Glad the troop is ok. I know a few people who do officer friendly too much and cuff up front to be "cool". I find I do well with repor by cuffing properly but being a decent reasonable person and treating them like people. Some folks just dont want to accept this though and you dont always know that at the beginning of the contact. This is why we shouldn't do the up front nonsense. Seems like a rare second chance to learn a lesson at first glance. Could be wrong though.There is always of course the possibility that bad guy is good at being bad guy.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
My county police must place all handcuffed citizens in the front passenger seat of the police cruiser for transport. There are no cages allowed by county policy. Imagine that situation with this individual as your in custody passenger.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
My county police must place all handcuffed citizens in the front passenger seat of the police cruiser for transport. There are no cages allowed by county policy. Imagine that situation with this individual as your in custody passenger.

The Maryland State Police did this for years. They were rear hand cuffed and tightly seat belted in. I’d heard more than a few colorful stories of officers slugging perps that started to get out of hand, so there’s is that one fast track perc.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15579 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My PD didn’t use cages..they were $1500 each..per car…in the 18 years I worked there we always handcuffed in the rear and sat prisoners in the front right seat. If they got squirrely you maybe had to show them your flashlight and let them wonder what you might do.

I had one guy who had one good hand..didn’t bother cuffing him..but he came along peacefully.

I had a guy try and spit on me once, I reached over to the right side of his head and grabbed a handful of dreads and pulled him so he could see out the window so he wouldn’t spit on me.

I had one guy who lost his mind in the car and beat everything in the front with his head…computer, windows a etc…I just pointed to the camera filming him saying that his attempt at getting me in trouble was not gonna work…and it didn’t…the fastest IA I ever had.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11281 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post