SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Back Porch Gardening
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Back Porch Gardening Login/Join 
Picture of BrianC
posted
I have a nice East facing third floor back porch. I've always had a few herbs (basil, mint). I have one of those hanging tomato planters but don't grow tomatoes, they're just not wot worth it. Last Summer was like Hades in the off season; if it's that hot again I should be able to get some crops in. I bought some bags that fit in milk crates, of which I have 4 or 5 plus two flower pots and the aforementioned hanging planter. I'm thinking that in addition to herbs I may try peppers, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions about stuff that will grow in New England (besides pot?) Wink

"Television is called a medium because nothing on it is well done." -- Fred Allen

Posts: 11139 | Location: Here. Now. | Registered: August 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I had a container garden in Calgary, Canada, and assume you would be able to grow similar things.

Tomatoes (did well too), bell peppers (tiny, not warm enough), radishes, onions, garlic, basil, cilantro, green beans (grow the bush variety such as Bush Lake), rosemary, romaine, and catnip (my cat loved it when I brought it in fresh from the garden). If I was still in Canada, I wouldn't waste time on zucchini (didn't grow well), tarragon (rarely used), oregano (rarely used), or beets.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23659 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Do you like to tinker and build stuff?

The only suggestion I might offer is to look into so called "self watering pots" many plants do better with consistent moisture and potted plants can require daily watering and still dry out in between on hot dry days. Especially smaller pots.
Many vids on you tube. I have made a few for ornamentals and they work well. Attached photos for proof! Reduces watering to once a week or more. My largest ones hold 11 gallons of water in reserve.
They replenish the water reserve when it rains. They have gone as long as 6 to 8 weeks with out any additional watering from me.

Some plants don't like hot feet... the soil in the pot can overheat if the pot is exposed to direct sunlight. You may need to use light colored pots, or to wrap them with something to shade the pot if that seems to be a problem. I ran into this growing tomatoes in a dark colored bucket once.

Collecting dust.

Posts: 4173 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
I do a porch garden in pots.

They do dry out quickly, sometimes have to water twice per day.

I grow basil, oregano, thyme, chives, sage, and parsley, in addition to habanero, pepperoncini, and big thai peppers.

This year we will also be doing peas, jalapenos, cherry tomatoes and san marzano tomatoes.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BrianC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
Do you like to tinker and build stuff?

The only suggestion I might offer is to look into so called "self watering pots" many plants do better with consistent moisture and potted plants can require daily watering and still dry out in between on hot dry days. Especially smaller pots.
Many vids on you tube. I have made a few for ornamentals and they work well. Attached photos for proof! Reduces watering to once a week or more. My largest ones hold 11 gallons of water in reserve.
They replenish the water reserve when it rains. They have gone as long as 6 to 8 weeks with out any additional watering from me.

Some plants don't like hot feet... the soil in the pot can overheat if the pot is exposed to direct sunlight. You may need to use light colored pots, or to wrap them with something to shade the pot if that seems to be a problem. I ran into this growing tomatoes in a dark colored bucket once.

Wow! some great looking plants there!

"Television is called a medium because nothing on it is well done." -- Fred Allen

Posts: 11139 | Location: Here. Now. | Registered: August 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BrianC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
I do a porch garden in pots.

They do dry out quickly, sometimes have to water twice per day.

I grow basil, oregano, thyme, chives, sage, and parsley, in addition to habanero, pepperoncini, and big thai peppers.

This year we will also be doing peas, jalapenos, cherry tomatoes and san marzano tomatoes.

Good suggestions!

Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Plastic 55 gallon barrels make good containers that last forever. Cut them in half and drill a few holes in the bottom for drainage.

Posts: 11893 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I tried the self watering containers in my back yard, but apparently just don't get enough direct sunlight back there. i don't think anything on the plants would last long if I had them out front (damn neighbor kids)

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post