SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    After ten years, several almosts, and a lot of waiting, I'm officially a motorcyclist again! WARNING! Pic Heavy
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

After ten years, several almosts, and a lot of waiting, I'm officially a motorcyclist again! WARNING! Pic Heavy Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted
After having to deal with some rather huge personal issues over the past two years, I decided I wasn't going to wait any longer, and that it was time to buy another bike. What I wanted this time around, well that's been a series of continual mind games and struggles. The process went like this...

1 - I'm not a Harley guy.
2 - I'm too old for a real sport bike like I used to own and love.
3 - I'm not a fan of chrome.
4 - I love old style round analog gauges.
5 - If it doesn't cause my heart rate and blood pressure to spike, its not for me.
5 - I found myself longing for bikes I've lusted after in the past rather than something new.

And low and behold I ran across this locally, a model I've loved forever, but thought I'd likely never get to own. This is a 2002 Yamaha FZ1, two Florida owner bike, with 3,670 miles on the odometer. Basically it moved from owner one's garage, who put 3k miles on it in 19 years, to owner two's garage where he put ~600 miles on it in two years, and where it ended up taking up space again. I managed to score it for a really good price, and ran it through a local shop for new tires (the tires on it were the original Bridgestones Eek) and a once over to insure everything was in order.

Haven't had much of a chance to ride it yet, but the couple chances I have ridden it, its been incredible. IMO there's nothing like the sound of an inline four screaming through a performance pipe. A friend asked me why on earth I'd opt for a liter bike at this point in my life. My simple answer...."It scared the hell out of me, and I liked it."

Can't wait to start scrubbing in those new tires and racking up some weekend miles soon. I can't begin to impart how excited I am to finally be back on two wheels. Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Cool! Be safe.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5689 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
I know absolutely nothing about bikes, but for being 20 years old that bike looks great. I like the style and man does it look clean. Good score, enjoy and as said be safe.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Awesome bike, but are those mirrors or places to hang your dry cleaning? Keep it rubber side down.

Posts: 10976 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Great to see you making a life-affirming decision. Watch out for the left turn motorists. There may be mirror blocker plates you could still find and ditch the original mirrors for bar ends.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5055 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I want one too but my wife said if the bike didn't kill me she would. Frown

Posts: 22927 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Beautiful FZ1, I love the 2000-2010 generation bikes.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7108 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
There may be mirror blocker plates you could still find and ditch the original mirrors for bar ends.
Already have a pair of bar end mirrors on order. They should be here next week. The billet filler plates for the stock mirrors are currently out of stock, so I'll have to wait to do the mirror swap until I can get a pair.

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
And because I forgot to mention it in my initial post, my thanks to our own stickman for being an informational resource and sounding board for me over the past year or so as I've made my way through acquiring another bike.

Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
Welcome back.

Nice find. Enjoy it and stay safe.

Posts: 7345 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Enjoy. Like Smschulz, I want a motorcycle but my wife won't allow me to. She said she had a best friend killed on a motorcycle when she was a teenager.

She likes to point out that on a motorcycle there isn't much between you, the road, and cars.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19690 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
I can't begin to impart how excited I am to finally be back on two wheels. Smile

Just make sure you stay on them. The alternative ain't a whole lot of fun. Wink

Posts: 20121 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is in great shape for its age! I would have to get a taller windscreen. The stock one would put the blast right at my Adams apple.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16103 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
Nice! Very happy to see you put new shoes on it. There just isn't a whole lot better than cracking open the throttle on a new bike.

Gotta be hot where you are, but please gear up. Some great options these days for kevlar fabric and vented jackets that make riding tolerable.

May it bring you endless miles of big smiles.

Posts: 3017 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Oooooooooooooooh, PRETTY!

And I like the way you think. My bike isn't quite at the same level of Holy Shit! as that one, but it's the most bike I've owned in 50+ years of riding.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15253 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
GREAT score! That naked beauty may not be a true sport bike but will give them a real run for their money without the cramped riding position. The real win here is comfort. My last bike was a ZX-7R and it was hell on my knees and elbows after a long ride. Now I’m on a 2008 FJR1300 with @3000 miles on the meter and I love the comfort paired with performance even if it is a shaft drive with hard saddle bags.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15607 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
Excellent choice. Long ride comfort, understated good looks, and a rock solid motor with deep pools of torque.

Posts: 10759 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's the kind of bike I'd be looking to re-enter on. I rode a friends years ago and really liked it. Quick and great handling.
Be safe and enjoy.

Posts: 1964 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Excellent bike bigdeal. Sold my blue 05 FZ1 a couple of years ago and kind of regretted that decision ever since. Yamaha made one of the coolest "old man" bikes and this my friend is it!! Add some luggage, a Sargent seat and whatever else you desire to have a great tourer.

I was just talking about it with my cousin the other day. 100 MPH in first gear. Power wheelies in 1st-3rd Eek It has all of the power one could ever want and I still managed a cool 45-50 MPG.

Be sure to sync all 4 carbs (perhaps after getting them rebuilt) and look for an Ivans carb Performance kit. Ivan's kit
Maybe remove the AIS from the bike too. Tidy's up things a bit and helps with performance if you think the bike needs more.

Congratulations on your new bike. Have fun and keep the rubber side down Wink

Posts: 2833 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scientific Beer Geek
posted Hide Post
Nice looking bike, have fun and be safe!

Mike

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2079 | Location: Philadelphia Suburbs | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post