SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Written by a friend of mine: Cousin Benny and the snake
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Written by a friend of mine: Cousin Benny and the snake Login/Join 
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted
Cousin Benny & the snake

Cousin Benny and the Snake
In times like these, when the people of our great land are as badly divided as I can recall, we need examples of unity and humanity and just getting along together, so I’m gonna give you one.
At the center of the story is my cousin Benny, the only son of my Daddy’s baby sister, Anne.
Benny was born and raised in Mississippi. He lives out in the country, south of Jackson, in a house situated so that he has a clear field of fire all around.
Why does he need a clear field of fire?
Well, after graduating from high school, and a stint in the Navy, Benny returned to go into law enforcement, like his daddy. In that profession you tend to make enemies, bad folks you would not want sneaking up on you.
You also tend to see things clearly. Break the law and you go down. Not much gray area there. Benny was instrumental in bringing Byron De La Beckwith to justice for killing Medgar Evers (and went on to play himself in the movie “Ghosts of Mississippi.”) We are proud of Benny.
More like a brother than a cousin, I always figured that if I ever had the urge to
go into a biker bar and want to come out alive, I should take Benny with me.
In his prime, at over 6 feet tall and well pushing 250 pounds, he was much a man. To look at him then, it was easy to believe the rumor that as an undercover investigator he infiltrated some pretty anti-social organizations, but we don’t talk about that.
Now retired, his curly blond hair, mustache and goatee have gone gray and he does not get around as nimbly as before, but he still has an affinity for black t-shirts embossed with slogans like “kill ’em all and let God sort ’em out.” Though he avoids politics, I once heard him remark “I wouldn’t consider myself a liberal,” It was a point I wouldn’t argue.
Now the story.
In his younger days, when he got home from a hard day catching criminals, Benny would hop on his bicycle and go for a ride. It was his way to unwind.
Now Benny likes snakes. Well, actually he likes to kill snakes, skin them, and cure the hides. Don’t ask why, just keep up with me.
One day, late summer, Benny was peddling along when he saw this rattlesnake in the road. Naturally Benny stops, takes out his derringer (if Benny has on clothes he has a gun) and shoots at the snake. He misses. Twice. Now out of bullets, he tries to run over it. The snake takes this none too kindly and bites the tire, hangs a fang, and is caught fast.
Picture the scene (visuals are important here). A massive man who looks like a fugitive from rednecks-R-us rolling a bike back and forth over a snake with its fangs hung on the tire.
Up drives this truck. In it is a black couple. They see the situation and like any good Southern gentleman would, the man asks Benny, “you need any help?”
“Got a gun,” Benny replied. (Not a dumb question. ‘Course he does, This is Mississippi.)
The black man pulls out a 40 caliber automatic hands it to good ‘ol boy personified, who takes it and shoots the snake — a head shot. Impressed, the black man asks the white man if he wants a beer.
‘Course he does.
And the black man, the black woman, and the white man crack a cold one, kick back, and talk about snakes and guns and stuff.
Now that, dear hearts, is what we need more of in these troubled times.
Find a common ground – even if it is killing snakes and drinking beer.
Dwell on it.
Celebrate it.
For when we do, the rest won’t matter nearly as much.
So the next time you get all wadded up over something, remember Benny and his friend, and settle down.
You can thank me later.

End of article

Yes, I know the pistol is semi-auto, not auto and some other points to quibble, but to me I think this is a great story because it shows how Americans can relate to each other, in spite of the MSM messaging. Can you imagine the outrage at the NYT if someone tried to publish a story not only about killing animals but one in which a black man hands a white stranger a pistol? America is a great place, with a lot of great people. To miss this was a good reminder.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5671 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Outstanding!

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Stories about animal cruelty should come with a trigger warning. Excuse me, I have to go to my safe space. Gots guns dat needs cleanin'.

God Bless and Protect President Donald John Trump.

VOTE EARLY TO BEAT THE CHEAT!!!

Posts: 17546 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I like it. It reminds me that the South was not at all as the liberals portrayed in in the old dark days. We all got along to get along.

Thanks,

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20388 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Very good, indeed.

Mrs. Xmonkey used to say I go at averything like I'm killing snakes.

Told her every time she said it, that some snakes need killin'.

I'll kill any snake what needs killin', use anyone's gun to do it, and drink beer with you after.

I have a long way to go to be over 6 feet tall, and heft at 230, but I like common ground and there is plenty enough all around us.

-snakekillinmonkey

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44459 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Quite honestly, THIS is the way it should be.. at least the "moral of the story" as opposed to just killing snakes...

People love to quote various civil rights leaders, mostly MLK Jr. But many of those who do quote him and claim to agree with him, decide that his message of "judging a man (or woman) by their moral character as opposed to their skin color" is not EXACTLY what he meant.

I'm a firm believer in judging a person by their character, morals, behavior and actions. Everything else be damned.

Some of the most "enlightened" seem to see only race, gender, sexuality, religion, or whatever other "identity" they decide is the hot button issue of the hour.

What ever happened to "Don't be an asshole to people, and expect people not to be an asshole to you?"

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post