SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Most memorable beer you ever had?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Most memorable beer you ever had? Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Both versions of Dragon's Milk (black and white) are amazing on draft. Unfortunately, they also tend to be $10+ a pour around here, when you can find it.

However, there's a local craft beer bar that has all drafts for $4 from 5-7 pm M-F. Hitting that when they have Dragon's Milk on tap is a better way to get your money's worth!

Posts: 32524 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Most memorable beer I ever had? The one I NEVER had with my dad. Sorry to be a Debbie Downer…

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Memorable? Here goes. Had an old Italian grandfather. Like all that raised a family during the depression era, he saved everything and fixed what was broken. Moved to CT and graduated the state police academy. Stopped by to see him for something. He asked if I wanted a beer. Couldn't say no. He produced a can of Schaffer, with the necessary opener. Old steel can, no pop top! Took one swig and didn't know what to do! Most horrible taste you can imagine. Couldn't spit it out and hurt his feelings so swallowed and made a quick exit. Told my father the story and he laughed. Said he must have fished them out of the creek 50 years ago during the great flood. Can still almost taste it when I think of it.

Posts: 1660 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Went skiing in BReckenridge back around 2000. In Alabama not much was a available except the staples -Bud, coors, Miller, PBA…

After a long day of skiing we found a little pizza place In The village. They had Fat Tire. We tried to drink them all. Never had a beer with that much flavor. We shot pool and pounded those things like water. Next day was rough as we weren’t used to heavier beer with higher alcohol but we drank them the whole trip.

Got back to Alabama and found out they weren’t available in the entire state. So every time one of us went out of state we would try to find fat tire and bring back as much as we could carry and divide it up.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7947 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig sailor:
A Canadian beer in Canada.

Early 70's sitting on the Canadian side of Niagara Falls drinking a Molson Brador for the first time. Back when Molson was Molson and Brador was not imported. I was always told that it was the moose piss in the water that made Canadian beer so good.

Posts: 652 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I was at The Pig & Whistle in Ft. Worth Texas, circa 92-93, during the St. Pat’s day Pub Crawl.
I nursed a Guinness Stout all night.
A cover band, Quasi and the Modos, had just finished their set when the owner, manager, whatever, made an announcement about some band, a date mixup, whatever.
Then the bagpipes began to be filled. Everyone shut up.
The Black Raven Squadron from Dublin, Ireland had arrived a couple days early.
First time I had heard bagpipes live, first time I had partake of good beer in a real bar (instead of a keg party or cheap crap in a pasture or someone’s apartment)

Posts: 6307 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
Summer 1969 - 6 week driving trip throughout Europe. Stayed one night in Amsterdam and then the next day went to the Heineken Factory Tour. To this day that was the best tasting beer I have ever had.
Also, I am not that fond of Heineken that I buy back in the USA. It's OK but...

Posts: 4032 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lunasee
posted Hide Post
When I was in Germany from '76 - '78 (USAF), the beer that I mostly drank and liked was Bitburger Pilsner.
Last year, I went to a local German bar/restaurant and they had Bitburger on tap. I ordered one. The first taste transported me 45 years back in time. I smiled.

Posts: 530 | Location: Hillsboro, OR | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post

My first Westvleteren 12 during my first time at the Westvleteren Abbey is probably my most memorable. It’s not my favorite beer but it’s a damn fine one and a memorable experience.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15256 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did a 125 mile road bike race from Mexicali to San Felipe one summer years ago. I rode with other racers in our club and we burned up the road; our time was 4 hours 20 minutes. Needless to say, we were physically hammered and once we stowed our bikes, changed out of our riding cloths and sat down, we had a couple of ice cold beers (don’t remember the brand) and ate our fill of fresh fish tacos. I’ll never forget how great they tasted.

A man should acknowledge his losses just as gracefully as he celebrates his victories

Remember, in politics it's not who you know...it's what you know about who you know

Posts: 812 | Location: CA | Registered: February 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Holy shit! 28.85 Miles per Hour

https://www.bicycling.com/tour...-france-pro-cyclist/

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16228 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
years ago I was in the Grocery Biz, as a Store Manager,

we got perks,

once of which was you got to taste a lot of beer, wine and champagne,

I was always invited to the oldest local micro's anniversary party (Legends, the do one of the best Brown Ales you will ever drink)

one snowy night, I was just about lit, and one of the principles of the company came by and asked if I wanted to try something different,

they had a habit of doing one off's that never made it public, just do a keg or a couple sixtels to see what happens,

so I got a glass of some Bourbon Barrel aged beer they did ,
not a clue (been to long ago) what it started out as, but it was amazing,

years later I bought a couple bottles of a damn good Belgian called Deus,

it is brewed in Belgium then sent to France and treated like Champange,

so my Bro from another Mother and I had a bottle before he deployed the first time to Iraq,

I aged the other bottle, in a cool dark closet, and we had it when he returned,

that was probably one of the best beers we had

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10427 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1: 48mph average? Holy shit!
Was that all downhill?

Actually we averaged just under 30 mph. There were about 20 of us riding a rotating pace line on a fairly flat road and there was only a slight wind so we were able to maintain a very high pace. Everyone in the group was a racer who trained/rode an average of 400-500 miles a week so the fitness for each rider was high.

I have had the good fortune to be on some training rides with some Tour De France riders. It was thrilling to bump elbows with some of the best in cycling but…when they dropped the hammer it was very humbling to get dropped so quickly.

A man should acknowledge his losses just as gracefully as he celebrates his victories

Remember, in politics it's not who you know...it's what you know about who you know

Posts: 812 | Location: CA | Registered: February 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^
You caught my post before I corrected the mph figure. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16228 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Not humbled at all when I get dropped. It happens all the time. 500 miles a week holy crap. Most I've ever done is 100.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd say Budweiser as it was my first and I had it way too young on a dare. I didn't keep it down though so I'm not sure it counts.

Fast forward I'd go with Deschutes Inversion IPA for a great beer that was different from the boring lagers. I think they've sadly discontinued it.

I just started homebrewing and my first batch will be sampled in two days. That will likely be memorable one way or the other.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post

Served at a pizza restaurant on the west side of Purdue when I was a student, circa 1973. The flavor was not particularly memorable, but the can art was humorous.

Posts: 4820 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife and I just talked about this the other day. Back when we first moved in together as a couple, end of July 2017. A very hot Texas day. After we were done we went to a nearby restaurant to eat and got two frozen schooners of ice cold Modelo. It was quite possibly the most refreshing beer either of us have ever had.

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MP
posted Hide Post
Was in the 90s in Antwerp visiting some friends of my wife. They had shown us around town then we met again for dinner. They ordered Corsendonk so I figured what the hell. Very smooth and full flavored. Loved it. I'm not a beer guy (prefer Scotch) so if I loved it then it's something special. Wanted more but we were taking the train back to Brussels after dinner. Tried buying some here locally. It just wasn't the same. Eventually we'll get back to Belgium for another round.

Posts: 306 | Location: Houston,Texas USA | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MP:
Was in the 90s in Antwerp visiting some friends of my wife. They had shown us around town then we met again for dinner. They ordered Corsendonk so I figured what the hell. Very smooth and full flavored. Loved it. I'm not a beer guy (prefer Scotch) so if I loved it then it's something special. Wanted more but we were taking the train back to Brussels after dinner. Tried buying some here locally. It just wasn't the same. Eventually we'll get back to Belgium for another round.

Corsendonk makes a great christmas ale,

and you are correct, nothing beats a good fresh beer in the country it was brewed in,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10427 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post