SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    do drug dealers get mad if you hack their account for $1 Bil ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

do drug dealers get mad if you hack their account for $1 Bil ? Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted
https://www.breitbart.com/tech...lk-road-marketplace/

The U.S. government revealed this week that it seized $1 billion in Bitcoin from the Silk Road, a dark web drug marketplace that was shut down by the FBI in 2013. The funds were uncovered through an agreement between the government and an unnamed hacker that acquired the bitcoin when the marketplace was still active.

United States Attorney David L. Anderson said that the seizure of the funds has closed the door on a question that has lingered since the closure of the marketplace over seven years ago.

“Silk Road was the most notorious online criminal marketplace of its day,” Anderson said. “The successful prosecution of Silk Road’s founder in 2015 left open a billion-dollar question. Where did the money go? Today’s forfeiture complaint answers this open question at least in part. $1 billion of these criminal proceeds are now in the United States’ possession.”

The press release suggests that law enforcement officials were able to seize the cryptocurrency on November 3 from an individual that had acquired the funds from the Silk Road by allegedly hacking the site. It is not clear at this time if the unnamed hacker has been arrested.

The complaint alleges that these funds were traced to a bitcoin address. Further investigation of that bitcoin address by the United States Attorney’s Office and IRS CI agents revealed that the funds were connected to Individual X. It was further determined that Individual X had hacked the funds from Silk Road. Pursuant to that investigation of the hack, law enforcement seized several thousand Bitcoins on November 3, 2020. On November 4, 2020, the seized Bitcoin had a value of over $1 billion.

Posts: 19759 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
do drug dealers get mad if you hack their account for $1 Bil ?

I guess you never saw "Breaking Bad" Smile Smile Smile

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11107 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Well now, I bet the government has a billion reasons to make sure Bitcoin doesn't go completely belly up anytime soon.

Posts: 7506 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The drug dealer in question is doing life without, so I doubt the hacker would be facing any repercussions.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Tempting stuff, that Bitcoin. Even FBI agents tried to help themselves.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr...ering-and-wire-fraud

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 6003 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Makes me wonder about the details of what the agreement was between the government and said hacker. Jail time for stealing from thieves?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6391 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I’m guessing more like some type of percentage.

Posts: 5929 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Low Country, SC. | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Now seize all of Sorros's assets too.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
Makes me wonder about the details of what the agreement was between the government and said hacker. Jail time for stealing from thieves?

"It Takes a Thief"

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3633 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoseyWales2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:

Imagine that, self-serving, corrupt FBI agents. Roll Eyes Hard to believe.

----------------------------------
"These things you say we will have, we already have."
"That's true. I ain't promising you nothing extra."

Posts: 584 | Location: Missouri | Registered: October 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to teach part time at the Chicago Police Academy.
It was a 1 week course called the "Physch Workshop"
(Long story, but it was a good class...)

Anyway, I did an exercise when it came to money:
What would you do if I stole $1 from you right now?

What would you do if I stole $10 from you right now?

What would you do if I stole $100 from you right now?

What would you do if I stole $1000 from you right now?

What would you do if I stole $10,000 from you right now?

What would you do if I stole $100,000 from you right now?

Now that I have your attention, and you're thinking....
Somewhere between $1 and $100,000 money isn't MONEY anymore, MONEY becomes a motive.
Now you're a group of people that play by a certain set of rules.

Dope dealers "rules" are somewhat askew.
They figure if you stole $1 today, you probably stole from them before, and today you just got caught.
They figure if you stole $1 from them, not much is stopping you from stealing $100,000.
They also figure if they don't do anything about you stealing $1, you and everyone else gets the idea that it's ok to steal from you... So a message needs to be sent.

So, yeah, someone is a little upset about their BILLION DOLLARS being taken from them. Somewhere down the line, someone is gonna pay for that, and it ain't gonna be quick.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8548 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not that I'm a fan of what the FBI has been doing these last few years, but the agents in the article are from the DEA and Secret Service.

Posts: 5031 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Think: Tortuga, Breaking Bad ... x1000

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JoseyWales2:
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:

Imagine that, self-serving, corrupt FBI agents. Roll Eyes Hard to believe.

Not that "self-serving, corrupt FBI agents" don't exist, but the two people charged in this case weren't FBI agents. They were members of the DEA and U.S. Secret Service.

Any time you have laws that provide opportunities for law breakers to make big profits, you've got the potential for corruption to exist among those employed to identify, arrest, and assist in the successful prosecution of those committing these crimes. If they're members of the FBI, DEA, Secret Service, or any of the other "alphabet soup" agencies, state, local or federal, they should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law for violations of their sworn duty and misusing their positions of public trust. There's no excuse for this type of clearly criminal behavior and no better label for these idiots than CRIMINAL.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10268 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Wonder if the unknown hacker was eligible for the 20% finders fee?

Posts: 13861 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post