SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any daily cold-shower takers in the group?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any daily cold-shower takers in the group? Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Hell no! Cold showers were a PITA in the military when the hot water was FUBAR in the old Army barracks. Much less frequent aboard ship after I moved to the Navy. Still.... Left that behind eons ago. Big Grin

Oh and shaving with cold water was even WORSE!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16515 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:

It SUCKS, but I feel really good afterwards.
Kind of like banging your head against the wall. If feels really good, when you stop.

We bought a house with a pool back in August and I used it up until mid-November when I got sick. The swims in November took a good while to adjust to the water temperature, but once I did, I felt amazing in the water and had to force myself to go ahead and get out. I was concerned if I stayed in too long, I’d risk hypothermia. I don’t know what the temperature was then, but I doubt it was significantly different than it is right now, at 51 degrees.

I felt great all day afterwards. Wouldn’t guess at the biomechanics or psychology of it, but it had a marked effect on my mood and the general pain levels I deal with.

Posts: 17618 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well I guess I can put my money where my mouth is, I got a cold pool in the back. What is the temp we are looking for?

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
That is the thing though. It is all anecdotal stuff for the most part not a lot of actual evidence. So when I hear about a focused Olympic athlete who runs a wildly successful business and still gets up early to exercise and is probably still in amazing shape the question is whether it's the chicken or the egg. Is the cold shower doing this to his head or is it all the other stuff, exercise, loving his job, being sharp and focused, etc.?

There is a term for what you're describing. The Swimmer's Body Fallacy. There are people that swim because they see the bodies of Olympic swimmers so they decide to swim for their fitness only to find out it doesn't work. This is because Olympic swimmers swim because of the bodies they have, they didn't get those bodies by swimming. I agree with you and believe you're right in questioning.

Also, I do think there may be a time when our modern amenities may not be available. Hot water may be a luxury that we won't be able to have one day. It's still worth training yourself to shower in cold water, if only to be used to it should it be necessary.

Posts: 45537 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember cold showers being suggested to teen age males to ease sexual frustration.

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
In the summer, I sometimes shower with cool water after a hot shower so that I don't immediately start sweating after exiting the shower.

But I generally don't take cold showers.

However, I like to frequent onsen / sento (hot spring baths) in Japan. They usually have a cold pool and I'll usually alternate hot and cold dips and usually end w/ a cold dip. I'll usually stay in until the pain of the cold water goes away - 10-15 minutes.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13082 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
After reading the posts here, I took one about an hour ago. Sort of. I started with my regular hot shower, got all cleaned up then turned it to all cold. Little by little I got all of myself under the icy streams. Had difficulty controlling my breathing - will work on this. I didn't last long but after getting out of the shower I felt great. I think I'm going to try this regularly. Need to work on the whole breathing thing. Smile

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8653 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Beautiful Mind
Picture of DetonicsMk6
posted Hide Post
Son is a retired military aviator and ER nurse as well as a fitness buff. He has a cold tank set up and does 20 minute row and 50 push-ups every non-workout/lifting recovery day. He had a couple surgeries on one of his feet and says the post immersion is the best his foot has ever felt. Also is a fan of the mental clarity benefit it provides. He’s not at all a fitness trend follower. You can look up Hoffs immersion therapy on YouTube for further information if it piques your interest.

Posts: 4837 | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
That is the thing though. It is all anecdotal stuff for the most part not a lot of actual evidence. So when I hear about a focused Olympic athlete who runs a wildly successful business and still gets up early to exercise and is probably still in amazing shape the question is whether it's the chicken or the egg. Is the cold shower doing this to his head or is it all the other stuff, exercise, loving his job, being sharp and focused, etc.?

There is a term for what you're describing. The Swimmer's Body Fallacy. There are people that swim because they see the bodies of Olympic swimmers so they decide to swim for their fitness only to find out it doesn't work. This is because Olympic swimmers swim because of the bodies they have, they didn't get those bodies by swimming. I agree with you and believe you're right in questioning.

Also, I do think there may be a time when our modern amenities may not be available. Hot water may be a luxury that we won't be able to have one day. It's still worth training yourself to shower in cold water, if only to be used to it should it be necessary.
Roll Eyes Y'all are piss poor guessers.

The Sigforum motto is "Quality Discussion, Quality Firearms". Which approach leads to quality discussion?
  • Making an assumption as long as the post you're commenting on and then someone piling on with an additional assumption?
  • Asking an inquiring type question seeking further explanation?

I've been to many oil & gas conferences and this is the first time that I've taken notes during a key note speech as they're usually just entertainment or preaching to the choir. I've also never seen other attendees digging through briefcases/purses for note pads.

A portion of his keynote speech was dedicated to keeping at peak mental health. He shared that he was initially an alternate for the US National team but a suicide opened up a spot that he ended up holding for many years. Additionally, the speaker had experienced a few periods of depression (e.g. end of his college track career, end of his Olympic career, etc.), and was sharing what he'd learned from therapy as well as US Olympic coaches and doctors.

I didn't get open the notepad feature on my iPhone soon enough and only managed to capture 3 of 4:
    1 find the things you like
    2 do the things you don’t like. The cold showers in the morning were an example of this.
    3 own your choices

The cold shower was targeting dopamine release which is good for regulating mental health. Cold showers were an adaptation of a peer reviewed European Journal of Applied Physiology immersion study where there was a 250% increase in dopamine.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23650 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of ridewv
    posted Hide Post
    This is the first I've heard of "the benefits of taking a cold shower". Add another one I've learned here! I'll give it a try for a week or so but the water's pretty cool here now so I'm not sure how long I can take full cold.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7261 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Eye on the
    Silver Lining
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by RogueJSK:
    quote:
    Originally posted by irreverent:
    I do know that taking cool/cold showers after diving is protocol. Hot showers/hot tubs are a no no.

While that's true for immediately jumping into a hot tub or hot shower straight from a dive, PADI and DAN recommend waiting a mere 30 minutes after diving before taking a hot shower or getting into a hot tub.

In most situations, it's going to take more than 30 minutes after you surface before you even make it into the shower. So at that point, taking a cold shower is unnecessary.

Sorry I wasn’t clear - there is no requirement to take a shower after diving, but if you do, most dive doctors indicate cold showers are a better choice and not to take hot showers or hop into a hot tub for a while after diving. Naturally, we all want to. I’ve been diving since the 90’s, and I’ve been to a number of dive facilities where as soon as we get out of the boat there’s a shower right there that we can hop into -suit and all. I can say from personal experience and consulting with a Padi dive doctor that hot showers are frowned on post diving. That would’ve been one of the first times I got the skin bends, about 4 hours after I took a hot shower when we returned to our room after an ordinary 2 tank dive.

All that aside, I prefer to start the day with a hot shower, then cool rinse after I’ve washed up.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5499 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    W07VH5
    Picture of mark123
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:
    quote:
    Originally posted by mark123:
    quote:

Roll Eyes Y'all are piss poor guessers.

The Sigforum motto is "Quality Discussion, Quality Firearms". Which approach leads to quality discussion?
  • Making an assumption as long as the post you're commenting on and then someone piling on with an additional assumption?
  • Asking an inquiring type question seeking further explanation?

I've been to many oil & gas conferences and this is the first time that I've taken notes during a key note speech as they're usually just entertainment or preaching to the choir. I've also never seen other attendees digging through briefcases/purses for note pads.

A portion of his keynote speech was dedicated to keeping at peak mental health. He shared that he was initially an alternate for the US National team but a suicide opened up a spot that he ended up holding for many years. Additionally, the speaker had experienced a few periods of depression (e.g. end of his college track career, end of his Olympic career, etc.), and was sharing what he'd learned from therapy as well as US Olympic coaches and doctors.

I didn't get open the notepad feature on my iPhone soon enough and only managed to capture 3 of 4:
    1 find the things you like
    2 do the things you don’t like. The cold showers in the morning were an example of this.
    3 own your choices

The cold shower was targeting dopamine release which is good for regulating mental health. Cold showers were an adaptation of a peer reviewed European Journal of Applied Physiology immersion study where there was a 250% increase in dopamine.
  • I’m not exactly sure what i said that raised your ire. Apologies.

Posts: 45537 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of JohnCourage
    posted Hide Post
    I cold plunge in the pool this time of year. 3 minutes 3-4 times a week. Water is low 40’s right now.

JC

Posts: 1302 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    No, not like
    Bill Clinton
    Picture of BigSwede
    posted Hide Post
    F That, I'll die happy

Posts: 5535 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by DoctorSolo:
    quote:
    Originally posted by 1s1k:
    Usually when something is all the rage no one does it in two years. I could see some anti inflammatory benefits if you can get it cold enough.

I work with a fellow of Scandinavian descent, based in Minnesota, and this is not new to them at all.

Different strokes for sure, but I would say try it if you are curious, the price is right(if you live in a cooler climate). It SUCKS, but I feel really good afterwards. If there were no other benefits besides that, I'd still do it. For what it's worth.
    That’s hilarious I’m Scandinavian and from Minnesota.

Posts: 4000 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of wrightd
    posted Hide Post
    If anyone wants to try it, could it be not without risk depending on health conditions ? If the dopamine release science is true, that's great, unless you die of a heart attack after immersion or showing in cold water. Is this not a thing, maybe a question for an MD or a Nurse.

Lover of the US Constitution
    Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8915 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Semper Fi - 1775
    Picture of Ronin1069
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    I’m not exactly sure what i said that raised your ire. Apologies.

I’m not either for what it’s worth…seemed like a lot of unnecessary rambling or an AI generated response to a question that was never asked.

<Shoulder shrug>

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12402 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    The Unknown
    Stuntman
    Picture of bionic218
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Anyone here follow that ritual?

Yes.

Everyone should do what's best for them, but it is amusing that some will take whatever drug the doctor dictates or spend all manner of money - just to avoid the discomfort of doing what is natural and free to get the same results.

"It's not about the nail" ...if you get the reference. Big Grin

Posts: 10806 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Looking at life
    thru a windshield
    Picture of fischtown7
    posted Hide Post
    Yes, and when I lived in Germany or go home to visit. At least 3x a week. its Sauna with the ice tank or pool right outside in the snow. Its really a big social thing also, yes mixed group and everybody naked. Really clears your head and helps me feel better.

Posts: 3774 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by ridewv:
    This is the first I've heard of "the benefits of taking a cold shower". Add another one I've learned here! I'll give it a try for a week or so but the water's pretty cool here now so I'm not sure how long I can take full cold.

My brief research shows that shower water less than 60* is considered “cold”, so full cold may not be necessary if it’s less than that. Even going lukewarm vs hot can have some benefits, and you don’t have to go straight to ice cold you can work your way down. I will say the feeling you get after exiting a cold shower/rinse is completely different than after a hot relaxing shower.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 687 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post