SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Testing the waters in NV
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Testing the waters in NV Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
With WFH (work from home) policies, it seems like it would be okay for me to move to another state with certain conditions. One being that I'm able to come on site if necessary (there are other considerations like taxes and such that I need to look into).

But I think that opens the door to NV and specifically Carson City or the neighboring areas. Tahoe / Incline is too expensive and too touristy (disrupts personal life). Reno seems to city-ish - I prefer rural, suburban w/ some conveniences like Costco.

Carson City seems like a match. Elder, retirement community. Weather that doesn't get extreme - not too hot or cold. Convenient to airports and Tahoe (hiking, kayaking, etc). I'm not looking for city life - I'm basically a homebody that enjoys the outdoors.

If I wanted to try it out for 6 months, anybody w/ first hand experience and suggestions? What areas should I prefer? What areas should I avoid?

And dumb question (I haven't had to rent housing for more than 25 years), what's the best way to find a decent rental house? Realtor? Some online website? Other?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12722 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WFH what does that mean?

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
WFH what does that mean?

Work From Home

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12722 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK. Really liked Carson City, but it has been lots of years. There was a job opportunity that did not work out. Small town flavor and low taxes. In those days everyone knew the Governor and he often dropped by to chat. I am sure that it has grown. Beats California hands down.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Try Minden. Also, be prepared for those Washoe Valley winds if you need to drive to Reno.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8220 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Carson City's been busting hump trying to grow for years. They were catching overflow from Reno and worried about the capacity of their water aquifers back in 2006 or so.

Maybe look for areas that "aren't quite" Reno or Carson City? I'd suggest looking to the north of Reno as well as long as you stay out of Sparks.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Sparks what a place!!

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ When Kurt Sutter finally gets around to writing a TV series about a Basque shepherd biker gang, it'll be set in Sparks. The pathos will be beyond imagination...

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
how about Gardnerville? Been there, thought it was nice.

For a real change of pace, there's always Virginia City, but the large shopping centers are nowhere near there.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Allergies? I had to flee the Reno Air Races the one time we went due to sagebrush pollen.

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Suggestions noted for investigation later.

For places like Carson City and other suggestions, are there any preferences like - live in the north east side but shop / fun in the south side?

I seem to now have allergies to oak trees. And maybe some types of grasses. But generally not too bad. I don't think I've ever had issues whenever I visited the Tahoe area.

posted Hide Post
Moved to Minden two years ago from the Sacramento Valley. Absolutely love it here. People are friendly, lots to do outside, pretty much any kind of shooting opportunities one could imagine.
The rental market in the Carson Valley has been really tight. Of course, the farther out one goes, the cheaper things get. Look at Dayton, Silver Springs, Yerington, Wellington and even the Topaz lake area. Some of these will add an hour or so travel time back to "The Gilded Cage."
Carson is very nice. Reno starts to resemble what I left.

Oscar Zulu

Posts: 160 | Registered: February 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oscar Zulu:
Moved to Minden two years ago from the Sacramento Valley. Absolutely love it here. People are friendly, lots to do outside, pretty much any kind of shooting opportunities one could imagine.
The rental market in the Carson Valley has been really tight. Of course, the farther out one goes, the cheaper things get. Look at Dayton, Silver Springs, Yerington, Wellington and even the Topaz lake area. Some of these will add an hour or so travel time back to "The Gilded Cage."
Carson is very nice. Reno starts to resemble what I left.

Oscar Zulu

And right next door to Minden is Gardnerville, another nice little town.

Carson City is where I got married but it isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
For places like Minden or Gardnerville, are they relatively homogeneous? Doesn't matter where you live, it's all about the same?

Or are there preferred areas for quiet living (no city life required) - example: the east side is more quiet residential, west side is more lively with active night life?

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't say either one has much of a night life.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
After 2.5 years for covid, our 100% WFH policy ended today. Careful that does not happen to you as well.

Posts: 4019 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would consider Minden or, Gardnerville....actually looking at that area in the next 5-years.

Most of the business owners in S.Lake Tahoe live in that area. Healthy balance of retirees and families, and there's still a number of homes sitting on large lots. It does get windy so standby.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
I would consider Minden or, Gardnerville....actually looking at that area in the next 5-years.

Have you actually gone and looked yet? Or just research so far? If you've gone and looked around, any general findings? I want to up and look around soon - only so much I can surmise from online maps and zillow.

posted Hide Post
Try Zillow for rentals. The Minden/Gardnerville area is nice.
I'm in Reno, shoot me an email, happy to try and help.

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1211 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm in Reno, shoot me an email, happy to try and help.

I'll peek at Zillow.

Thanks for the offer, I may take you up on that. I'm making a list of suggestions and also a list of housing related things I want to look for. Zillow may give some ideas but I think I'm gonna need a realtor or someone familiar with the area and various neighborhoods to help me find what I want. But need to be able to clearly articulate that first. Smile

Once I have good starting lists for both, I'm hoping to get up there in the next month or two and look around with a realtor.