SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Newer Garmin handheld GPS?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Newer Garmin handheld GPS? Login/Join 
Picture of Trooperdan
posted
I'm kinda a casual Geocacher and my current handheld is a eTrex Cs that must be 6-7 years old. I see current offerings from Garmin seem to start around $350, more than I'm interested in paying, I usually buy last years discontinued model.
First, is it worth upgrading from a performance standpoint? If so, can you recommend a recent model that I might find at a significant discount?

Posts: 946 | Location: Raeford NC | Registered: April 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
I don't have any experience with the eTrex series, only with the GPSMap series; I've been using the 60csx since 2010 with the 100k topo upgrade and it's been very reliable and acquires satellites very quickly; I also have a 64st which has 24k topo maps and better resolution; however, it takes longer than my 60 to acquire satellites and occasionally will lose signal. I'd look at the GPSMap 6x series, the main reason, I went with the 6x was because I wanted a handheld that had buttons as opposed to a touchscreen, which you either need touchscreen-compatible gloves or take your gloves off. If I could afford it, I'd buy another 60csx in a heartbeat.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4336 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
Why do you want a stand-alone GPS for geocaching? Three or four years ago, maybe due to battery life and accuracy, but that's a thing of the past for the most part.

1) Accuracy - it used to be that smartphones picked up only GPS signals. Then it was assisted (WAAS and cell tower). Then it was assisted from Wifi hotspots. The newest generation use WiFi assisted GPS plus GLONASS. Short of some of the $1000+ professional units with accuracy down to a few inches, it's hard to do much better.

2) Battery life -- maybe an issue a few years ago but with a battery case you're good pretty much for all day use and then some. If you have a common phone, you can get a solid one for $100 or less (I've seen them as cheap as about $22 for iPhones).

3) UI and software -- no brainer here, anything made for a smartphone is going to be slicker, better, and smoother. Garmin has never been great at UI, even if their products are otherwise quite good.

4) Toughness - with a case, I've found any smartphone is quite tough. I've certainly dropped mine a few times with no adverse effects. The waterproofing rating on newer models is also more than sufficient for outdoors purposes.

5) Investment/risk -- even the best iOS and Android mapping software apps cost no more than $10. If you don't like any of them or using your phone, you're still in way less than a standalone GPS.

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does the phone have a compass?

Posts: 76 | Location: Rapid City, South Dakota | Registered: February 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
I too have been using the Garmin 60CSX for quite a few years. I still use it, although they no longer make it.

If I were to get another handheld GPS, I would go with one of the 64 series handheld models.

I have a smartphone, but I prefer a handheld GPS for geocaching as well as hunting.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3438 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reginaldcrumpepper:

my iPhone 5 does have compass although rarely use it....it's the standard free version from the app store IIRC.......

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
We picked up a Garmin GPSMAP 64SC this year for the business, as we needed to have GLONASS for accuracy.

I like it a lot. I forgot my camera on one inspection, and the camera saved my butt from having to make a mile long hike through brush back to the boat. All the photos had to be geotagged for the assignment.

I've been pleasantly surprised by the battery life. For my purposes, it has lasted through several days of use. I hated my Oregon450, which is all touchscreen. The buttons on the 64 are significantly easier to operate than the stupid touchscreen. Battery life of the Oregon was terrible, and meant carrying multiple sets of AA batteries with me.

I've been upset about not being able to transfer previously purchased map products to the new GPS though. I spent a fair amount of money buying all the topos and bluecharts for my 76cs, only to have to buy topo again for the oregon 450...and now again for the 64SC.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
quote:

my iPhone 5 does have compass although rarely use it....it's the standard free version from the app store IIRC.......

The iPhone compass is quite sophisticated. It knows your position, thanks to GPS, and has a table of magnetic declination for all points (at least, all points in the US). That declination is applied to the compass such that it shows true heading, rather than magnetic heading.

The correction feature can be disabled if, for some reason, you don't want it.

And I think it's a built-in app, rather than one from the App Store.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8976 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
quote:

Virtually every smartphone made in the last 5 years has a compass and an accelerometer.

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
I have a garmin etrex 20 that we use when backpacking and camping that I've had good luck with. I've never done the geocach thing.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whatever you get make sure you get a unit with GPS and GLONASS. Once you see the speed of acquisition of satellites and the stable tracking under the densest tree cover you'll come to understand the value of having a 48+ satellite constellation over 24.

I'm not kidding here, my Forerunner 235 Running watch has GPS and GLONASS and it will typically have a satellite lock before I can get the back door locked. Even sitting INSIDE my house it only takes the 235 about 20-30 seconds to get a lock. Something my older Forerunner 15 GPS only watch could only do on rare occasions, usually I had to stand outside for 2 to 5 minutes to get a lock and some days it could take 10 minutes or more.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5652 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I find the "spyglass" app on the iPhone to be quite adept for land navigation. It uses the phone camera for the view, and integrates 3D phone position to give you heading, elevation, and all the GPS info you could ever want. I would carry a spare battery and cable (which I just purchased) and for super backup, a solar charger (which I just purchased) along with the typical waterproof case.

That said, I do have and use a Garmin standalone as a navigational backup. It has NO maps, no real UI. It is just a breadcrumb trail. But, it works, has sun and moon info, helpful for hunters, and picks up GPS signals in the woods.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post