SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Drug overdose leading cause of death for Americans under 50
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Drug overdose leading cause of death for Americans under 50 Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
We no longer seize anything other than weed ourselves. Anything else-- pills, coke, heroin, etc., we standby for our crime scene technicans. It's a big deal.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11463 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
We no longer field test ANYTHING. It is all packaged and sent to the lab.

I can understand the risk, but how do you determine if "that powder" on the console is coke or donut residue?

Exactly as one did before send it off to the lab. While in some cases it is still out in the open we just package it. Before the step of testing added a an extra risk for exposure especially before we switched test kits that would frequently rip gloves and even break skin.
Even the test kits were not difinitive and the substance was still listed as "suspected" until verified by the lab. Like any investigation you look at the totality of the cicumstances and all the evidence present to make your determination.
Just seeing ohh white powder and assuming drugs would not work very well in court. What other indicators lead you to believe that it was narcotics.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25664 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chillin out
Picture of florida boy
posted Hide Post
Very sad but probably good for the gene pool.

I practice Shinrin-yoku
It's better to wear out than rust out
Member NRA
Member Georgia Carry

Posts: 3818 | Location: Union County, Georgia | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
We no longer seize anything other than weed ourselves. Anything else-- pills, coke, heroin, etc., we standby for our crime scene technicans. It's a big deal.

So these dirtbag junkies and dealers are costing us yet more money to deal with their bullshit. Mad

Posts: 13828 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
related story

http://www.foxnews.com/health/...s-still-unknown.html

Days after a counterfeit street version of a prescription painkiller caused dozens of overdoses in Georgia and as many as four deaths, authorities say they are still trying to identify the source of the new drug.

The drugs were being sold on the street as Percocet

Preliminary results from the Georgia Bureau of Investigation crime lab suggest the counterfeit pills contained a mixture of two synthetic opioids, including a previously unidentified drug that’s chemically similar to fentanyl. The pain medication is 30 to 50 times more powerful than heroin, and about one fifth the cost

“These are not chemists producing these things. These are idiots in a garage that are manufacturing a drug that’s gonna be used and abused. We call it manufacturing death.”

According to the Georgia Department of Public Health, the street drugs are so potent that overdose victims require “massive doses” of the emergency treatment naloxone (Narcan).

Posts: 19759 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Preliminary results from the Georgia Bureau of Investigation crime lab suggest the counterfeit pills contained a mixture of two synthetic opioids, including a previously unidentified drug that’s chemically similar to fentanyl. The pain medication is 30 to 50 times more powerful than heroin, and about one fifth the cost

How do you stop that? It's heartbreaking but I think the only answer is to stop the narcon and if users die, so be it. When the bodies start stacking up the message might get through.

Posts: 4816 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10 November, 1775
Picture of MarinetoRN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
They all died in vein....

OMG!!! Hahahhhahhaaaa!!!!!

SiGArm'd

P220ST X2, 1911 Revolution, P245, P229 RTTEQ/ST .40 X2, P226ST, Mosquito
Other weaponry not SIG

Glocks are ugly.
I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders.

Posts: 2471 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: August 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10 November, 1775
Picture of MarinetoRN
posted Hide Post
I see it every day. Around here, it's mainly heroin. Sad as hell to see young men and women in a coma they'll never come out of and their parents having to make the decision to pull the plug on life support. Even worse, is with the children have to make that decision for their parents.

SiGArm'd

P220ST X2, 1911 Revolution, P245, P229 RTTEQ/ST .40 X2, P226ST, Mosquito
Other weaponry not SIG

Glocks are ugly.
I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders.

Posts: 2471 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: August 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
quote:

How do you stop that? It's heartbreaking but I think the only answer is to stop the narcon and if users die, so be it. When the bodies start stacking up the message might get through.

Sadly, quite the opposite. You are not thinking as a user thinks. As one who sees a person brought back from the dead with narcan on almost a daily basis anymore I get a chance to talk with them afterwards.
They seek out the dealers who they know people have died from their batch. As strange as it sounds they pretty much all say the same thing that dealer has the good stuff and the ones that die just can't handle it but I can. I hear it constantly even from those that have been brought back on multiple occasions.
Sadly Death is not a deterrent for these people. It baffles me.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25664 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post