SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Lavish Obama Center hits mounting opposition in Chicago as profs blast plans, 'socially regressive' ideas
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lavish Obama Center hits mounting opposition in Chicago as profs blast plans, 'socially regressive' ideas Login/Join 
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted
After looking this plan over, I would have to say that it fairly well epitomizes the Obama presidency - lots of fancy decorations put on something that amounts to very little. Somehow seems fitting for Chicago though.

http://www.foxnews.com/politic...egressive-ideas.html

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Looks like a giant shack, a shanty. Most appropriate, and I hope it costs 50 billion dollars in the end.

Posts: 107651 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
2,500 permanent jobs once it opens. It also claims that in its first 10 years, the center is expected to have a total economic impact of $3.1 billion.

Doing what exactly?

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15723 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
Chicago is a really beauiful city in a beautiful setting, except for brutally nasty winters of course which take some of the fun out of it.

So just taking into consideration that the profs and the locals want to maintain the look of the city puts me on their side.
the shallowness of zippy and his fluffers isn't really Chicago's fault, whether in architecture or commerce.

Posts: 6402 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43909 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wishfull thinker:
Chicago is a really beauiful city in a beautiful setting, except for brutally nasty winters of course which take some of the fun out of it.

Don't forget the absurd traffic, crime rate, and crazy murder stats. I've avoided the area since the mid '90s and you couldn't pay me to visit ChiTown these days.

The wacko libtards and the Obozo footprint simple reaffirm my resolve to stay far far away.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16236 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
The numbers in that article are baffling. Or I am just naive about how many people visit these places.
Presuming the library was open 365 days a year it would have to average over 2,000 people a day.

What are the daily visitor numbers for other presidential libraries?
Edited to add a quick googling show that JFKs library holds the highest attendance for 1 year at 560k visitors. The next closest were Regan and Clinton at 450k. And those were peaks the averages looked to be around 200k.

2500 permanent jobs?

I live in a county of 318,000 people while not huge by any means the ENTIRE county employs 3500 people. Only 1,000 more than this library.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25431 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:
2,500 permanent jobs once it opens. It also claims that in its first 10 years, the center is expected to have a total economic impact of $3.1 billion.

Doing what exactly?

Yeah, that jumped out at me too. Let's see, at the leftist desired entry-level pay of $15/hour, 40-hours a week, that's $78 million a year in payroll expenses, at a minimum. Maybe that 3.1 billion "impact" they are referring to is losses.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
I wonder how much the City of Chicago is chipping in? On a side note: can any Chicago members comment on DePaul's new arena? Is it a boondoggle?

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4336 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
The tall building reminds me of an Easter Island statue...

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29713 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
All I keep thinking is that it's brutalist, which completely fits.

It also probably means that in 15 years or so, it will also end up like all of the other monuments to communists. Abandoned, decaying, forgotten.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9160 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
The tall building reminds me of an Easter Island statue...

Looks to me like it was inspired by a Star Wars Gonk Droid...

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
760,000 visitors a year? Really?

760,000 visits a year? Only if it becomes an open-air drug market and hookers work the underground parking.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
760,000 visitors a year? Really?

760,000 visits a year? Only if it becomes an open-air drug market and hookers work the underground parking.

Chicago Public School field trips. The onsite extracurriculars are fitting.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The inside of the ugly/taller structure looks like jail-cells to me.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Doing what exactly?

According to the article...

quote:
"The people of Chicago were told they would get a presidential library administered by the National Archives, a federal facility, in exchange for the confiscation of historic parkland, listed in the National Register of Historic Places – instead, they’re getting a privately operated entertainment campus with a 235-foot-tall tower, a recording studio, auditorium and sports facility, and other amenities," Birnbaum said.

The latest plans from the foundation were released as the group submitted applications for the presidential center.

“The Obama Presidential Center will be a global community center, a place of life and vibrancy that showcases the South Side to the world,” Martin H. Nesbitt, foundation board chairman, said in a statement.

The latest plans reflect that the complex would include a museum, a forum building (including a winter garden, auditorium and other facilities), a library, a plaza and an athletic center.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryarnaud:
quote:
quote:

Doing what exactly?

According to the article...

quote:
"The people of Chicago were told they would get a presidential library administered by the National Archives, a federal facility, in exchange for the confiscation of historic parkland, listed in the National Register of Historic Places – instead, they’re getting a privately operated entertainment campus with a 235-foot-tall tower, a recording studio, auditorium and sports facility, and other amenities," Birnbaum said.

The latest plans from the foundation were released as the group submitted applications for the presidential center.

“The Obama Presidential Center will be a global community center, a place of life and vibrancy that showcases the South Side to the world,” Martin H. Nesbitt, foundation board chairman, said in a statement.

The latest plans reflect that the complex would include a museum, a forum building (including a winter garden, auditorium and other facilities), a library, a plaza and an athletic center.

What a load of crap.

Given time, he next Cabrini-Green.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3763 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
And here I thought that single wide on the Arkansas river would remain the ugliest presidential building

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cookster:
The inside of the ugly/taller structure looks like jail-cells to me.

The perfect place to keep The Messiah and his worthless family.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yeah, out of the back of the building you will be able to buy guns and crack. It’ll be the only pResidential center where they do an annual body count. Yes, come experience the true South side of Chicago.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5757 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post