SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Should I take out this loan? updated page 3 NEW UPDATE PAGE 3 - Paid off
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Should I take out this loan? updated page 3 NEW UPDATE PAGE 3 - Paid off Login/Join 
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
The thought process that a hard inquiry will devastate your credit score is nonsense. So it drops 5 or 10 points. Who cares! Get a low or zero interest balance transfer credit card and work in paying that down.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
It's difficult borrowing into prosperity.
This. It's a terrible idea. Stretching it out for 3 years tells me he's not mad enough about it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1s1k,

Posts: 3920 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I am a leaf
on the wind...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:

Second trusts and HELOCs subordinate to the first. You can't lose your house when a creditor wants to foreclose and isn't first in line. And no one who's first in line and still getting paid cares what those farther down the line want.

True, but still not a good enough reason to commingle unsecured debt into your largest asset.

Posts: 2120 | Location: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: August 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
It's difficult borrowing into prosperity.
This. It's a terrible idea. 3 years tells me you're not mad enough about it.

Why? Nothing wrong with stretching it out, except the horrendous rate. Just bought new kitchen cabinets, did zero percent for two years even though we had money in bank to pay cash.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
List your debts from smallest to largest regardless of interest rate.
Make minimum payments on all your debts except the smallest.
Pay as much as possible on your smallest debt.
Repeat until each debt is paid in full.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
E, you are getting some good advice and some not so good advice here.

Everyone here has just a tiny snap shot of the bigger pix.

With that in mind I think you are headed in the wrong direction. Many have alluded to that in their response's.

I would look hard at ways to pay it off as soon as possible with out trading debt to pay debt off.
Mow lawns on te weekends or evenings. A part time job. Sell items, etc. All funds go to getting this paid off, not down. And then quit.

It can be done and is the only real solution.

Good luck.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
quote:
Originally posted by jeffxjet:
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
Home equity loan perhaps?

Worst thing possible. Credit card debt is unsecured, you default they get nothing. Put it against your house, now you default and lose your house.

Second trusts and HELOCs subordinate to the first. You can't lose your house when a creditor wants to foreclose and isn't first in line. And no one who's first in line and still getting paid cares what those farther down the line want.

Depends what equity you have and how much you owe on the first. A holder of a second can foreclose, they just have to pay off the first. In some situations they may elect to do that.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:

Why regardless of interest rate? It would seem logical to prioritize paying off higher interest rate debt first, no?

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Does your 401k do low interest loans (e.g. 5.25%)? Mine does and still allows 401k contributions so I can keep getting the company match.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
Look at Sofi

I had unsecured debt (credit card) and they gave me a loan at 8.250% for 4 years.
Paying a little more than the scheduled payment to get it payed off..

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1lowlife,

Posts: 4360 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
quote:

Why regardless of interest rate? It would seem logical to prioritize paying off higher interest rate debt first, no?
Logic and math would say to pay the highest interest rate first. But with debt you are not dealing with math but behavior instead. If you were good at math you wouldn't be spending all your income on interest to someone else. So when you see progress by paying off the smallest amount first, you are rewarded with a feeling of accomplishment. Then you focus on the next smallest amount and you get another check off of your list. Rinse and repeat.

Posts: 341 | Location: Bardstown, Ky | Registered: December 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crue-dell:
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
quote:

Logic and math would say to pay the highest interest rate first. But with debt you are not dealing with math but behavior instead. If you were good at math you wouldn't be spending all your income on interest to someone else. So when you see progress by paying off the smallest amount first, you are rewarded with a feeling of accomplishment. Then you focus on the next smallest amount and you get another check off of your list. Rinse and repeat.

Exactly. If you go after the smallest, you see the reward for your efforts sooner. Humans like instant gratification. Seeing the progress you’re making and feeling you have eliminated some debt, is a good motivator to keep going.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like the others have said, try and get a 0% balance transfer from a different card.

I would also consider a loan from Payoff.com. It would probably be between 4.5% and 6%. My wife consolidated her debt this way and it worked great.

May our caskets be made of hundred-year oak, and may we plant those trees tomorrow.

Posts: 813 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: January 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
Never mind, I googled it and somehow had ViewMyPDF malware ext in my Chrome.
I deleted it and it is gone..

Posts: 4360 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Does your 401k do low interest loans (e.g. 5.25%)? Mine does and still allows 401k contributions so I can keep getting the company match.

Or if you have a "whole" life insurance policy (as opposed to the more common "term" life insurance), you can usually borrow against that at a similarly reasonable rate.

And loans like this also do not affect your credit (which seems to be a concern here), because they typically neither involve a credit check nor do they go on your credit report, since you're basically borrowing your own money that you've paid in.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Whole life insurance loans can be a fantastic financial tool, IF you really, really know what you're doing. You can't borrow unless you have a cash value and that can take a few years to accumulate. If you're still young and healthy, you can even surrender or replace the policy with a new one and get the cash value paid out, which means no loan to repay. Again, you really need to understand this stuff before pulling the trigger. I do this stuff every day for my job and run into some pretty hard luck stories a few times a week.

Posts: 3535 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I see this offer from time to time from AMEX.

Question for OP - are you actually carrying an AMEX with an annual fee right now?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:

Question for OP - are you actually carrying an AMEX with an annual fee right now?

Blue From American Express (as it is called) card, no annual fee. I have had it since 2007. It is actually one of my favorite cards. I did have the gold one with an annual fee from ?-2009.

Posts: 27957 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:

There used to be a syndicated program in the evening on one of the local radio stations: The Bruce Williams Show. He offered advice on all manner of personal finance issues. I learned a lot, listening to his show. IIRC he hated, absolutely hated, this idea.

My ex-next-door-neighbours on one side are a perfect example of why. They'd get themselves into excessive short-term debt, take out another mortgage to pay it off, then get themselves right back into excessive short-term debt. Long story short: The house was foreclosed-upon a couple years ago.

Not saying the OP would do that, but many people do.

Personally, whenever my CC balances got too high I simply stopped spending until they were paid off. In a later post the OP notes he's not in financial distress. He simply wants to rid himself of a high interest rate on a high CC balance. This being the case: Were it me, I'd either do what I've always done, as noted above, or look to obtain an unsecured short-term loan from my CU.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

There used to be a syndicated program in the evening on one of the local radio stations: The Bruce Williams Show. He offered advice on all manner of personal finance issues. I learned a lot, listening to his show. IIRC he hated, absolutely hated, this idea.

My ex-next-door-neighbours on one side are a perfect example of why. They'd get themselves into excessive short-term debt, take out another mortgage to pay it off, then get themselves right back into excessive short-term debt. Long story short: The house was foreclosed-upon a couple years ago.

Not saying the OP would do that, but many people do.

Personally, whenever my CC balances got too high I simply stopped spending until they were paid off. In a later post the OP notes he's not in financial distress. He simply wants to rid himself of a high interest rate on a high CC balance. This being the case: Were it me, I'd either do what I've always done, as noted above, or look to obtain an unsecured short-term loan from my CU.

That's probably valid. I've never had credit card debt (past the billing period) in my life. Foolish way to finance. It's easy but costly.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post