SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Another veteran was buried today...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another veteran was buried today... Login/Join 
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted
Today my wife and I attended the funeral of our friend, Sergeant First Class Brian Mancini.
Brian was medically retired after over 12 years of service in the US Army. He had received two Purple Hearts, the Combat Action Badge, Combat Medical Badge, Air Assault Badge and Flight Medic Badge.

When Brian was serving as a Combat Medic in his second tour of Iraq, the Humvee he was riding in took a hit from an IED. The injuries that he sustained were catastrophic. He was a full code (IIRC) 3 times during the first surgery to save his life. His struggle post injury spanned years of surgeries, rehab, occupational therapy, and battling PTSD.
His struggle was documented in the segment: In Deep Shift.

It is that battle with PTSD that led Brian to be the Founder and Executive Director of Honor House. Many vets that had trouble adjusting after coming home from combat were helped by Brian and the family and friends of Brian.

Brian wrote:
Don't you dare pity me, for I live pity free.
I would do it all over again, if need be,
For this great nation 'tis of thee.
I stand tall and proud, so don't you dare pity me,
for I live and will die pity-free.
No matter how mangled my body it may be,
the scars and the pain are simple reminders, you see,
the scarifices made for the land of the free.
There are many more who have given more than me.
So I honor them by living pity-free.
I truly have lived better, living pity-free.
So I have one request, can you do it for me?
Please don't you dare pity me, for I live proud and pity-free.

We are very proud and blessed to have known him.

Sgt. First Class Brian Mancini took his own life on Monday March 6th.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3774 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
RIP Sergeant.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8339 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Condolences to his loved ones and friends.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
I am very sorry Mitch.

RIP Brian.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of usmc-nav
posted Hide Post
Prayers for him and his family. May he rest in peace.

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Courageous man.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31420 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
I work with men like this everyday @ the VA.
Not sure how strong I am any more.
Their stories are taking a toll.

This story reminds me of my calling... to assist.
Men of such courage yet so wounded.

Thank you for sharing another reminder that the "price of freedom is visible here".

________,_____________________________
*** Wanna make everything electric? Start with the border wall.

We all live for a little while and then die sooner than we planned.
Your way
or
YAHWEH

Posts: 1301 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Our country was made great by selfless folks such as this. He will missed and his contributions never forgotten. God bless, RIP Brian Mancini

Posts: 13804 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
RIP, thank you

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Another good man gone. Prayers for his eternal peace in a far, far, better place.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25641 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rest in Peace Sir, You have earned it. God Bless

Where's the beer!

Posts: 475 | Location: Oro Valley, Arizona | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Rest In Peace Sgt. Mancini.

Your honorable service to our great nation is duly noted by me.

Posts: 13676 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Patent Pending
Picture of Tonyny
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting that. RIP

NRA Life Member

Capital punishment means never having to say, "You again?"

Posts: 4135 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RIP, all our prayers.....

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1526 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
He wrote some powerful words. RIP sir.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a mighty fine American!

RIP Sergeant and thank you for your service.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
RIP Sgt. Mancini.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jack32586
posted Hide Post
Tears, and I'm not much one for them.
Whereever you are, you have broken the teathers. Charlie Mike, Sgt Mancini

Posts: 203 | Location: S/W Florida | Registered: October 10, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Very sorry to hear of that. RIP Sgt. God Bless you for your service. We say thanks.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
May his chopper come in to a cold LZ in heaven.

Posts: 6008 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post