SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    GM to slash up to 14,000 jobs in North America; 7 plants could close as part of restructuring
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GM to slash up to 14,000 jobs in North America; 7 plants could close as part of restructuring Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
When I drive past, I'll usually drive through it on the way back. Chevy Cruzes parked everywhere. So these are sitting out there not being sold....

Put a Turbo Diesel motor in them and they just might sell again. VW and used car lots down here are moving the 2015 VW Diesels and at premium prices.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Like BigSwede I had a FB post from a friend's wife about GM.And how it was all Trump's fault.

In a nutshell I told her that she knew nothing of where the blame should be placed and after 47 years of dealing with GM from a dealership employee's perspective that this started well before the Trump Administration. IF she wants to place blame she needed to go back to the Roger Smith era in GM and start with the money that was pissed away on creating Saturn, killing Oldsmobile et al. And if there was a time that she would like to spend an afternoon I would be more than happy to educate her on all the ways GM did it to themselves.

I'm not expecting an invitation to a tea party hosted by her.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8118 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Trump will need rust-belt suport to win in 2020. I hope he has a plan to put jobs and hope in those states. Something tangible.

I do not know how many soon to be unemployed GM people or their immediate families will take the rational and nuanced view of the root cause that Shovelhead posted.

Posts: 3158 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
PDJT will back GM down is my opinion. GM took taxpayers money and then reneged on the deal. Trump pulls no punches on offense and he doesn't have a reputation for bluffing. If he turns 20% of the heartland against GM the company is toast.

Posts: 4700 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Some of the crap posted on the FB in my feed.

"Yep, I retired from GM. The steel tariffs are the direct result of this decision. Not only will all the 14,000+ jobs at GM be lost, but just a many or MORE in supplier personnel, and layouts at the stores, gas stations and restruants near the plants, it is a domino effect. Hear me loud and clear. TRUMP'S POLICIES ARE THE DIRECT RESULT OF THIS..he is NOT making America Great Again. He instituted tariffs that devastated production at Harley Davidson and now GM, and Ford. He is not bringing jobs back to the US. His tax cuts did not spur more jobs, it only gave more to the already obscene rich and allowed the mass buy back of corporate stocks, so the top shareholders could benefit. This is not sad, this is calculated, and a direct result of this administration's catering to the rich only."

Someone too stupid to know the difference between a cause and a result shouldn't be listened to anyway.

Posts: 17189 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GM sold their small cars just fine until gas prices went down. Even Accord sales are down 20%; no one is buying sedans/small cars anymore. SUV's are getting comparable gas mileage and that's all people are buying.

I am surprised they are cutting the transmission plant near my house. It doesn't make any sense because the trucks that use the allison transmission still sell pretty well. Sad to see that place go, and sad to see the whole automotive industry slide the way it is. Millenials aren't buying cars and everyone over the age of 25 is buying one of the 150 SUV variants.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
The unions are getting exactly what they demanded.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34132 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
The cars are not selling....so GM wants to shut the plants producing them. Makes sense to me.

This is how companies survive, GM has no obligation to give workers jobs.

As an ex auto mechanic, I can guarantee you that management causing low quality cars to be produced is the problem, 99% of the time. GM has had bad management for a long time, making some incredibly stupid decisions. All GM has to do is pay attention to innovation and quality, and their vehicles will sell.

However managment is often bloated with individuals who make poor decisions and treat employees poorly. They cannot see the forest for the trees. International truck was the same, probably even worse. Same with Hewlett Packard, which used to be a great company. Super stupid board members, stupidity on down the line, until they bankrupt the company.

I think removing subsidies is a good solution. Let them go bankrupt if they insist on hiring cheap (China).

-c1steve

Posts: 4061 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post