SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Spook alert: Researchers discover new softball-size spider in Mexican cave
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spook alert: Researchers discover new softball-size spider in Mexican cave Login/Join 
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted
Now that's a spider.

A multinational team of researchers with the San Diego Natural History Museum has added yet another spider to the category of awfully scary arachnids.

The size of a softball, they found the hairy 8-eyed specimen wandering inside a cave in Baja California, Mexico a few years back, while investigating the Sierra Cacachilas mountain range.

After thorough analysis they have now confirmed it is indeed a new species. They have named it Califorctenus cacachilensis.

“The first evidence we found of this species was a shed exoskeleton in the cracks of a rock overhang,” said Jim Berrian, field entomologist at the museum and one of the authors.

“The exoskeleton was abnormally big and I could tell by the eye pattern that it was in a group of spiders, wandering spiders from the Family Ctenidae, with very few species in Baja California Sur.”

The Califorctenus spider’s head and legs are of an intense brown color, while its abdomen is yellow. It is relatively flat and is nearly 4 inches long. It also has two very visible fangs.

The intimidating creature, however, carries a venom that is not fatal to humans.

“I got bit while handling a live specimen of Califorctenus cacachilensis and I’m still alive,” Berrian said.

Most insects and spiders on the planet have yet to be discovered, according to the San Diego Natural History Museum website. There are about 1.1 million species of insects and spiders on the planet that scientists have given names, but most researchers estimate that there are two to five million that remain undescribed.

“When I saw [the Califorctenus] for the first time, I was very impressed by their size,” said Dr. Maria Luisa Jimenez, a Mexican expert who co-authored the study introducing the new spider.

“In all my experience over the years collecting spiders on the peninsula, I had never seen a spider this large. I suspected that something new was waiting to be described.”

Although this species is considered large, it is far from being among the largest arachnid: the Heteropoda, which lives in tropical Asia, has a leg span of up to a foot.

Link

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10355 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's so FLUFFY!

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
Easier to see him hiding under the toilet seat at night !!!!!, plus they wear sombreros too

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
So many nopes.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Now that's taking one for the team!

I wonder if they male good pets?
quote:

The intimidating creature, however, carries a venom that is not fatal to humans.

“I got bit while handling a live specimen of Califorctenus cacachilensis and I’m still alive,” Berrian said.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Zoomed out a bit...

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16347 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They should have just named it

Shelobus nofuckingwaysis

Ken

Posts: 1049 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:

Only till the eggs start hatching...

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16347 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
In other news, the U.S. will be testing an old bomb design that not only KILLS IT WITH FIRE, it seal caves for all time.

This video is of the lower power setting.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31437 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Well, two of my personal safety rules should help avoid these....
1. Stay out of Mexico.
2. Stay out of caves.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
I think I remember seeing that one on an episode of Gilligan's island Wink

Michael

Posts: 1102 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Right on! Another terrific spider.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
They have named it Califorctenus cacachilensis.

I dunno, I think scarius theshitoutofus might be a better one.

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
What's up with the giant video running off the screen?

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
A load of 4-buck will take care of that issue no problemo.

And, yes, that video is too huge. I have to "hide post" to get beyond it.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
I see my snafu has been dealt with, thanks and sorry.

A penny saved is a government oversight.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have to "hide post" to get beyond it.

Hey, that works! It has been right in front of me all this time, but never having used it, didn't occur to me. Red Face