SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I learned something new today: CCI used to be Cascade Cartridge Inc.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I learned something new today: CCI used to be Cascade Cartridge Inc. Login/Join 
Mark1Mod0Squid
Picture of Sigolicious
posted
I recently came into possession of some neat old gun related things from a family member who passed. There is a lot of it. He was an avid outdoorsman, probably fished every body of water east of the Mississippi and hunted most spots from there plus up into Canada. He never had wife or kids and his brother is at stage in life where all of this was more than he could handle. So it has become my responsibility. I'd like to honor him by sharing some of the more interesting things and hear your stories. I know he would appreciate this.

The wife thinks I've hibernated somewhere on the internet because I've been reading and researching so much about some of this stuff. Cascade Cartridge Inc to Omark Industries Sporting Division/CCI to Speer/CCI.

Here are some neat old primers. Yep, all of these boxes still have primers in them.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sigolicious,

Posts: 2027 | Location: AZ | Registered: May 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
You are correct about CCI. Congratulations on the primers. I am sure they will work just fine.

Posts: 5620 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
Some pretty cool stuff. I always get a kick out of seeing some of the old ammunition related boxes. It makes me think of when I was young and could ride my bike to Roses department store to get a box of .22 and no one thought anything of it.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I've got a bunch of boxes of those same CCI primers in the bottom row that I got from my uncle when he passed away.
They're locked in a cabinet in the basement that I haven't opened in probably 8-10 years.

I'm going to have to go look through it now and see what other interesting stuff might be in there.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16514 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had no idea...I have bricks of 22LR Cascade I bought years ago that still shoot pretty well.

Posts: 932 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Say it ain't so! Primers and ammo are like eggs or fresh fruit. They spoil in at least a couple of weeks, if not days. My dad had .45 ACP ammo in mags with WWI dates and it all fired just fine. I shot it up, just for the fun of it.

Older primers may even have longer life's than the new, PC crap. In my earlier days, I would stop at all "barn sales" and would scarf up all the old ammo. My favorites were the WW nickel plated cases from the 1950s. I haven't shot any of it because I like it.

So go to gun shows. The big ones and seek out antique ammo. But before you buy, open it to make sure its the real thing.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post

A friend was shooting these at a match a while back and I snagged the empty box. Worked just fine in his Ruger 10/22. I had never seen CCI .22LR in a 50rd cardboard box like this, no inner tray.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I worked for the carton manufacturing company in Spokane that produced all of their cartons and sleeves starting in 1970 till retirement in 2011. I started out in the printing dept and one of the first jobs I had was printing CCI primer sleeves and cartons. Did that for 27 years and finished with being the designer of all their boxes and all of their customers boxes that included Speer, Federal, Blount and many more. Chances are that if you looked at all of your ammo boxes many if not most of them are ones that I designed.

Small world.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I have 2 unused bricks of that same CCI pictured above.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
I worked for the carton manufacturing company in Spokane that produced all of their cartons and sleeves starting in 1970 till retirement in 2011. I started out in the printing dept and one of the first jobs I had was printing CCI primer sleeves and cartons. Did that for 27 years and finished with being the designer of all their boxes and all of their customers boxes that included Speer, Federal, Blount and many more. Chances are that if you looked at all of your ammo boxes many if not most of them are ones that I designed.

Small world.

Jim

Indeed!

Thanks for sharing

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mark1Mod0Squid
Picture of Sigolicious
posted Hide Post
quote:

Small world.

Jim

Wel, if that isn't a super neat connection, I don't know what is. There are some older ammo boxes of the CCI and Federal flavors. I'll keep my eye out for Blount.

Posts: 2027 | Location: AZ | Registered: May 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigolicious:
quote:

Small world.

Jim

Wel, if that isn't a super neat connection, I don't know what is. There are some older ammo boxes of the CCI and Federal flavors. I'll keep my eye out for Blount.

One of the cool aspects of designing their cartons is that I had to go down to Lewiston to trouble shoot any issues with the carton loading machines they had. If you ever get a chance to go through their plant, do it. Absolutely one of the coolest things for a shooter to do.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good story Jim. You live in a beautiful part of the country. I was in Lewiston 50 years ago on my way to a mountain lion hunt, never forgot that.

Posts: 932 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post