SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Too Drunk to Curl!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Too Drunk to Curl! Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted
I went curling a couple times during my days in Anchorage. Picture a long, skinny ice rink attached to a much larger bar. The bar to sporting event ratio was larger than any bowling alley I've seen.

If you can stand up on the ice then you're not too drunk to curl
quote:
Canadian curling team booted from event for being 'extremely drunk': report

By Nicole Darrah | Fox News

An Olympic gold medalist, along with three other Canadian curling players, were kicked out of a tournament on Sunday for allegedly being "extremely drunk."

Four people — Ryan Fry, Jamie Koe, DJ Kidby and Chris Schille — were removed from the Red Deer Curling Classic in Alberta, Canada, according to CBC Sports.

The event, which was part of the World Curling Tour, was held at the Pidherney Curling Centre. The facility's manager reportedly labeled the curling players' behavior "unacceptable."

"They went out to curl and they were extremely drunk and breaking brooms and swearing and just unacceptable behavior that nobody wants to watch or hear or listen to and it was just 'enough was enough,'" Wade Thurber said.

He added "some damage" was discovered in the locker room, and noted that other teams were "complaining about their stuff being kicked around."

The World Curling Tour confirmed the players' removal from the tournament on Twitter, writing they were "ejected from the [event] due to unsportsmanlike behavior, forfeiting their remaining game."

Fry won an Olympic gold medal at the 2014 Sochi Winter Games when Canada took home their third consecutive gold medal for men's curling.

He apologized in a statement posted to Twitter on Monday, in which he emphasized "how sorry I am to everyone affected by my actions on Saturday."

Koe and Kidby also apologized on Twitter. Kidby wrote that the team "entered the event to compete and have fun at the same time and thinks got taken way too far."

Earlier Sunday the team, according to USA Today, tweeted out a photo of the four players alongside eight beer bottles with the caption "#TeamCorona2.0." The tweet has reportedly since been removed.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23286 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would guess that Curling would be way more fun shitfaced.
And this is a great example of what passes for a "sport" in the Olympics. Roll Eyes

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16101 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Just get a Flowbee and be done with it.

Posts: 107640 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I'd love to see video of this.

Oh, wait, it would be just like me trying to walk on ice and sling a curling stone while sober!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12429 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
It's not drunk curling until you start throwing beer mugs down the carpet in the bar area. Not that I've ever done that. SWEEP!

Posts: 10971 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
I was on a curling team in the 70s. It was actually pretty fun at the time.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I've always imagined curling as being one of those "snooty", quiet sports like lawn bowling or cricket. Guess I was wrong! I wonder if cruise ships have a problem with drunken shuffleboarders.

Posts: 7269 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:

What a bunch of hosers eh?!

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
When you are too drunk to fish, that is even worse!

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A better question is why would anyone curl sober?

Posts: 2486 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Sgt Neutron, that animated gif is great!

Only thing shocking about it is they were drinking from glass bottles instead of cans (safer).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23286 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
D'oh Canada ...

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
... but never too drunk to hurl!

"Any Time, Any Place."

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43907 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30411 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
It's a fine line between being drunk enough to think that pushing a big stone with a handle on it across ice would be really a lot of fun, and so drunk that when you push the stone you fall flat and slowly spiral across the ice like a frozen rag doll. A fine line. Razz

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11109 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Very tidy people, these Canadians. Always with the broom.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107640 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I watched Women's Olympic Curling once, about a decade ago. Had never watched curling before. Pretty much, it involved lots of pretty ladies bent over screaming "HARD!!" That was my take-away.

Posts: 17166 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Very tidy people, these Canadians. Always with the broom.

That was funny! I am going to steal that one.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post