SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question on towing with an automatic transmission
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question on towing with an automatic transmission Login/Join 
Picture of Green Highlander
posted
I am coming to the expertise of the forum since I have received conflicting information.

I have a FJ Cruiser with a towing capacity of 5000 lbs. My travel trailer is a Lance 1575. The loaded weight is 3750 lbs. I love the FJ and it is paid off. I don’t want to get back into a car payment.

Now to my question: is it better for the transmission to tow with it in D or keep it in 4?

I really appreciate your feedback.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2430 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thezoltar
posted Hide Post
You should know where your engines sweet spot is for power. My 4runner likes to stay around 3000 rpms when towing. I don't use overdrive unless I'm going down hill. I'm rated to tow #5000 with my v6. Milage went from 20 to 13 towing in the Utah mountains. Currently towing a trailer weighing in at #3600.

======
...welcome to the barnyard...some animals are more equal than others

Posts: 953 | Location: Utah | Registered: May 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Refer to the owners manual.

Posts: 27185 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
If you find it going in and out of gears at speed, drop it out of drive (overdrive ability). So on flats, you could likely be in D but going through hills 4 would be better. You should also realize you might not be able to maintain your normal speeds especially of you typically cruise at +speed limit speeds.

Posts: 3586 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Refer to the owners manual.

This

Posts: 5201 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
GENERALLY SPEAKING.... (consider that a disclaimer) I would use D for towing at both low and highway speeds on one trip and reasonably flat ground.

If it was very hilly terrain or short low speed trips maybe not.

But the previous advice of checking the manual is the best.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
If you're in high gear and it has to constantly shift down to the next lower gear to maintain speed, shift down to that gear.

Posts: 28692 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Towing close to my 4700# limit, I'll tow in D with the "TOW" button engaged. It changes the shift points. Longer 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears, I think.

And downshift to 3rd or lower if on a super-steep 40mph summit climb.

The last time I towed, it may have been 2000#, and I didn't notice the weight, kept it in D.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
It is a valid question, as my Pathfinder is recommended to tow in 4, because D is a pseudo overdive where the torque converter is not locked, which can supposedly lead to increased heat and wear.

I will still go into D for flat or highway, but around town or hilly stretches, I'll slow down a bit and drop into 4.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3385 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
If you don’t have an owner manual, here’s a link to a source of PDF owner manuals. I looked at one and there’s a good deal of info on trailer towing-too much to quote here.

https://parts.olathetoyota.com/owners-manuals

Posts: 27185 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
If you find it going in and out of gears at speed, drop it out of drive (overdrive ability).

This. If the transmission is constantly hunting, just keep it in 4. Use Drive on flats if you want, but 4 lets the engine keep its rpm's more into the power zone. I have a little Tacoma w/ 4cyl manual, can't tow much weight, but I always stay in 4th gear for towing (stay out of 5th, which is the overdrive gear). When I used to run 2500/250 diesels and towed more, one brand (forget which) had a tow mode and when you pushed that button, it forced it to stay out of overdrive. You can pretty much tell by listening to the transmission what it needs.

Posts: 10883 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Pluribus Unum
Picture of JRC
posted Hide Post
The manual for the 2013 FJ simply says to avoid using Drive (D) when using "engine braking"(e.g. when going down steep grades).

Good luck.

Posts: 1407 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
do not tow in overdrive. So that means you will need to slow down on the open road. Just part of the deal.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19776 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies. I can't believe I never thought to look at the owner's manual. Guess I I was too worried about other aspects of getting everything set up and relied on what the guy at the Toyota service department told me. Looks like I will ignore him and go with 4 as per the manual. Thanks for all the replies.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2430 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
with o.e.m. tires ?
or 38 inch monster mudd tires ?

does you truck have a towing package
special radiator
special oil cooler
special trans cooler?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55211 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have OEM tires and do not have the tow package. It was not something on my radar when I bought the FJ back in 2011. I did have the hitch installed at a Toyota dealer and I inquired about adding a transmission cooler. They checked the specs and told me a trans cooler was standard equipment starting in 2010.

4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
If you have not already done it.,I would add a Transmission cooler. It will extend the life of the trans with a load. I also recommend switching to a synthetic Trans fluid

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9089 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
A Daytona transmission shop owner once told me Bike Week always brought business from guys who used overdrive while towing bikes to the event.

Posts: 6960 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Consult your owners manual. It will certainly have more relevant information than you will get anywhere else. If the book says you can do, you certainly can.

Posts: 1836 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
You MUST read and follow the owner’s manual. How it “feels” is irrelevant.

For example, a GM 4L60E must be in 3 when towing. When the transmission starts, it will use its clutches differently. Towing in D will wear the clutches faster. A 4L80E, however, is fine to tow in D, since it’s always ready for a heavy start.

Follow the mfg’s instructions.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8279 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post