SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Grannycam Monitoring Camera Ideas
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grannycam Monitoring Camera Ideas Login/Join 
Rock or Something
Picture of Marc in FL
posted
My mother is suffering with Alzheimer's Disease and we recently made the difficult decision to enter her into an assisted living facility.

She finds it difficult to communicate due to cognition and hearing issues. I believe its become routine to stay in bed for most of the day.

I would like to install a camera to see where she is real-time or monitor her activity level. I tried to put in a Ring camera but was told that FL law prohibits audio recordings. Does anyone know if a wireless camera without audio ability? Thanks.

Posts: 1131 | Location: Tampa Bay Area | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
FL law prohibits audio recordings
I did not know that. Doesn't sound right to me, I'd like to know more about that.

Is my Ring Doorbell illegal? And the Ring Doorbells that most of my neighbors have? They record both audio and video.

I also have Bling cameras in the hangar, that record audio and video, as do many of the folks at Our Little Airport. are we all law breakers?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30748 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A RING camera can be set up to not record audio.

Posts: 1352 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
….but was told that FL law prohibits audio recordings

That sounds like a “policy” of the home vs the law.

Simply ask “what statue your are referring to?”
When the head guy stammers, call him a liar, and move mom elsewhere

In Florida, it is a criminal offense to use any device to record communications, whether they’re wire, oral or electronic, without the consent of everyone taking part in the communication. Fla. Stat. § 934.03(2)(d)

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11311 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
Assisted living should be checking on her and be aware of her general activity. They should keep track if she is showing up for meals. Med techs should be aware of where they find her (in bed, sitting in a communal room, etc) when they deliver her meds.

Was it the facility that nixed the video in her room?

I have a sister in an assisted living with cognitive and physical disabilities. Assisted living can deal with a certain amount of cognitive decline but not beyond a minor amount. They are oriented towards physical frailty not mental incompetence.

Posts: 9483 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I have an Arlo that I use to check on my mom. It has audio but I've turned that off.
I've called to check on her and gotten a busy signal and used the camera to see that she was fine, watching TV but hit the wrong button after a phone call. That usually fixes itself when she goes to make another phone call.

Another time she didn't answer, the camera showed her walker by the entry hall. I headed there to find out where she had gone. She used her cane to go to the neighbors garage sale after the nurse's aid had left. Roll Eyes

Posts: 7386 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FL resident here considering same. What if I have signage that says “ audio and video recording in place “. Would be curious if letting anybody know that enters my lot they are subject to such recording = their consent.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ElToro,

Posts: 4786 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
I would secretly put up one of those nanny cams disguised as a stuffed animal or decoration.

It concerns me if a facility is blocking it. The resident has an expectation of privacy but not their staff.

Posts: 9483 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fly-Sig:

I would secretly put up one of those nanny cams disguised as a stuffed animal or decoration.

It concerns me if a facility is blocking it.
Yup.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30748 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post