SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Travelers: Quality Luggage Brands?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Travelers: Quality Luggage Brands? Login/Join 
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
TravelPro.

I Replaced the stock wheels with inline skate wheels. Excellent improvement. But not sure if you can do that on the newer models.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Briggs + Riley hands down. Best warranty in the travel industry, there's no comparison. Eagle Creek came close however, they got bought-out and currently rebuilding themselves. B+R Baseline is their most popular, its a big chunk up-front over most others but its worth it. Nothing worse that a handle that doesn't want to retract while you're boarding your flight or, zippers that fail. Traveling with quality luggage ensures peace of mind. This is luggage you invest in and not have to re-evaluate for another decade minimum. Next time at an airport, look at everyone's luggage...it's a remarkable combination of cheap, barely holding together and limited lifespan.

Some have mentioned Luggage Works; well built but, HEAVY. There's a reason why pilots use them, besides supporting a fellow pilot's business, the weight/space penalty for those at the front of the bus are different than those of us in the back.

Posts: 14656 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
We moved all airline travel to Pelican luggage. We have an assortment, from carry-on legal sizes to lighter weight checked luggage.

The Pelican Air 1615 works great.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I have a Pelican similar to that, but it's bulky & heavy, so it's only really been used for driving trips.
Can fit a weekend's worth of hunting trip packing, including a sleeping bag.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15327 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P250UA5, check your mail.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
P250UA5, check your mail.

Received, thanks. Will look into that.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15327 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
TravelPro is good stuff, too. I've had some of their stuff and it is well made. Lots of flight crew have it. I prefer my LuggageWorks, as mentioned before.

The main thing is avoid the cheap crap, unless you are willing to consider it disposable after each trip. If all you do is use it for carry-on once each year, something in the lower middle price range is probably good enough.

Posts: 9448 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
used to travel extensively and sometimes continuously. I had several brands over the years, including Tumi. After annual at least replacement of luggage, I found Delsey and they have lasted by far the longest than all the other ones I have used. Just went to Vegas with my 24-inch roller, and the exterior is finally showing a fair bit of wear. Its a bright blue bag, and I have a smaller bright red that nests inside the blue one for home storage, the red one is still in great shape.

The insides have adjustable tie down straps, a fold-up hanger area for dress shirts or stuff on a hanger, zippered compartments for storage along the sides and a separate wet bag for swimsuits or laundry. I bought them at a discount place like Marshall's so they were fairly cheap for all the use I've given them.

After USAirways repeatedly kept destroying luggage, I went out and bought the biggets suitcase I could find and loaded it for every trip just to herniate those frigging baggage handlers (pre-50lb. weight limits). I swore my revenge on those monkeys, and I am sure I caught a few by surprise that probably ended up with a truss for a few weeks after. Smile

Posts: 215 | Location: Western PA | Registered: March 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
Check out the Away brand. We have been impressed with how nice Their stuff is and have even give some as gifts.

The biggest downside to the rigid stuff is they slide around in the trunk or truck bed unless you secure them some way.

Away has now come out with pieces that are rigid but have an out side zip pocket, which I wish mine had.

https://www.awaytravel.com

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swampdog
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Away. Great quality and great wheels. I use their aluminum carry-on because it’s just me, it has a portable battery built in an outside compartment for charging the phone which is neat. I’ve used their regular poly hardshell version as well and bought some as gifts for my brother and his wife. All have been flawless.

If one was looking for soft sided only, no wheel or wheel infrastructure taking up space, Red Oxx out of Montana, all the way.

Posts: 588 | Location: Colorado via South Louisiana | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
My Briggs and Riley has been all around the world as well as countless domestic trips over the last 12+ years. It's held up very well and nothing has ever broken on it. I used the clip-on strap to link to the top handles of other suitcases (not B&R, mind you), to pull two suitcases at once on those multi-week endeavors.

And it's colored olive.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5400 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Briggs and Riley and I too have the olive coloured bag which is very distinct.
I bought my current large bag about seven years ago and on a recent trip one of the wheels was missing after a flight. The bag has dual wheels at each corner so it still rolled fine.
When i got home I contacted customer service and had a very positive experience and they sent me a new set of wheels promptly and without charge. It's nice to see a company stand behind their lifetime warranty.

"Momma say's the pistol is the Devil's right hand."

Posts: 694 | Location: Ontario | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I’ve used Briggs & Riley for years. Solid

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post