SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Student’s Krispy Kreme resale enterprise blocked
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Student’s Krispy Kreme resale enterprise blocked Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
The legal system screws free enterprise again.

“ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — An enterprising Minnesota college student who drove to Iowa every weekend to buy hundreds of Krispy Kreme doughnuts that he then sold to his own customers in the Twin Cities area has been warned by the confectionary giant to stop.

There have been no Krispy Kreme stores in Minnesota for 11 years.
……
The senior studying accounting at Metropolitan State University in St. Paul said he was told his sales created a liability for the North Carolina-based company…”

https://apnews.com/03febee1c73147cf97b4cf058dd4fa87

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9437 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
"..created a liability.." What liability? Someone might get a stale doughnut? Diabetes?

Posts: 4822 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
How about no. First sale doctrine says kiss my booty. However, local health inspectors may have something to say, as might the state tax collectors, but Krispy Kreme probably can’t really do much other than make threats.

- Bret

Posts: 2476 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Krispy Creme ought to help Mr. Gonzalez out by giving him first right of refusal on opening the next five Krispy Creme doughnut shop franchises in Minnesota.

Better still would be Dunkin' Donuts giving him a franchise in Minnesota.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32008 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eponym:
"..created a liability.." What liability? Someone might get a stale doughnut? Diabetes?

Yeah... I don't know.
Krispy Creme isn't his partner. He's just a re-seller.

Around here, lot's of people buy Gus's Pretzels (which only has one location) and re-sell them as a fundraiser. People are willing to pay a little more for the convenience of being able to get something that otherwise would be too far away to be practicable.

He's not just a delivery driver under the control or direction of Krispy Creme. He's a re-seller.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24583 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Better still would be Dunkin' Donuts giving him a franchise in Minnesota.

His customers seem to prefer fresh donuts, not microwaved hockey pucks Wink

Outside of refusing to sell him donuts when he shows up, I don't think they can stop him from doing what he's doing.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15846 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
I could see if the state was involved for tax purposes, or health purposes. But I agree, what can Krispy Kreme do other than refuse to sell to him? Once he buys them are they not his to do with as he wishes?

A similar story - I used to sell high end bicycles wholesale to retailers. We had a new bike (10 units) land in the states. We sent them out to retailers. And a few days later, one of them ends up on e-bay, which was / is a big no-no. I find out that one of my retailers sold the bike to a consumer. This consumer is one of their best customers, who spends $30-$40K per year in their store and always paid cash. After some checking on this consumer and his e-bay account, I came to the conclusion that he was buying lots of consumer hard goods and selling them on e-bay at a loss, so he was probably laundering money. I explain the story to my boss and he directs me to tell my account that if this consumer comes in to buy anything else, they are not to sell to him. I busted out laughing. I told him that while he may not like our brand being on e-bay, if a consumer walks into a store and wants to pay retail price for a new bike, in cash, there is not a store in the entire US that would turn down the sale. And that once the consumer owns the product, it is his to do with as he wishes, whether that is resell it on e-bay, or crush it in the back of a garbage truck.

Posts: 2349 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Fascinating business model: Turn down business "just because."

I haven't had a KK donut in years. Gas station up on the corner used to have 'em, but no more. I checked KK's store locater. Closest one to me is nearly seventeen miles away.

That's ok, though. I don't really need 'em.

And Dunkin' Donuts? Yeah, they're pretty bad these days. I won't go to the trouble any more.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
There were guys in the 70's "bootlegging" Coors to Michigan and on their return trip to Colorado bootlegging Stroh's.

One of those guys bought a new Monte Carlo every year from the Chevy dealer I worked at, paid in cash. That was his work.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8380 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
There were guys in the 70's "bootlegging" Coors to Michigan and on their return trip to Colorado bootlegging Stroh's.

One of those guys bought a new Monte Carlo every year from the Chevy dealer I worked at, paid in cash. That was his work.

Wow, I remember Coors being a highly sought after item but had no idea Strohs(Detroit pisswater) was also in return.

Posts: 5538 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Krispy Kreme allows resale as fundraisers for any number of groups. There were college kids reselling on my way to the office last week. Usually done locally but are there rules?

Kid violated the first rule of bootlegging. Don’t talk to the press. The urge for temporary fame defeated a pretty good hustle.

Posts: 4322 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
We used to see minivans selling KK donuts at a couple of major intersection after traveling hundreds of miles to score. Now that we have our very own KK store in town, I never see anyone in the parking lot or drive thru. I don't care for them myself.

Strange Brew

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4275 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
Somebody already said it and I agree, they should have helped get him set up in a franchise. He's passionate about the product, he's found a strong market for their product and he's working hard to supply the need. Could have had a huge marketing win here worth hundreds of thousands in good will and free exposure via social media, instead they botched it all up.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting issue. First, what are the FDA rules regarding shipping food intra and inter-state for resale? Is college boy following those rules, and do those rules apply to the "wholesaler"? What about the state laws regarding food transportation within the state and across state lines?

If KK knows (or should know) some guy is taking their food, "shipping" it across state lines for resale without following FDA protocols, then they could be liable to someone that later got sick.

If he had kept his mouth shut, no one is the wiser, but he clearly was proud of his "gray area" enterprise and now learned a valuable lesson.

Again, it is why is KK being such a dick, without any knowledge of what the laws are. But who knows, maybe there are no federal or state laws and KK is just being a dick?

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
KRISPY KREME in BATON ROUGE,LA some months ago said that a local shop was closing for a re-model/ upgrade..public out cry..but demolished building and supposidly now going to build a new store schelued to reopen sometime after the first of the year....to far away and in the wrong area of town for any buisness from me.........

Posts: 2082 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:

Remember those days....my first semester at A&M, the kids from Dallas and Houston would sat around the apartment pool with their Coors stacked up to show their coolness, by the second/third weekend they're drinking the generic bargain brands, then we all discovered Shiner Cool

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1548 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
While the donuts are great Krispy Kreme, has never been known for it's business acumen. They had a near financial death experience a decade or two ago.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
KK are soooooooooooooooooooo over rated. Great name , very average factory donut.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
once they sell a donut, what do they care?

I don't recall ever getting a warranty card with a donut so that is something happens after I buy it, I can get either replacement parts or a refund...

sounds to me like they have a D- lawyer working with them and needed to do something this year to stay on the payroll

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53786 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kramden:
KK are soooooooooooooooooooo over rated. Great name , very average factory donut.

Agreed, A little to much sugar for my taste.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16450 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post