SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Freezer not consistent
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Freezer not consistent Login/Join 
Member
posted
I have a Jenn-Air side by side refrigerator.

Lately, the freezer section has not been consistently freezing items while other items, to include the ice maker works fine. It seems to be centered on the upper shelf, as items below are freezing.

I looked on-line and watched lots of videos; the most common issue seems to be the evaporator motor seizing with the condenser coils freezing over. I can feel cold air coming out of all vents and the fan sounds like it is spinning. The refrigerator portion seems to be working fine.

Any thoughts on what else to check? TIA


Tony
 
Posts: 499 | Registered: December 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Check the door seal. Maybe it's developed an issue up top.
 
Posts: 2516 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
https://appliantology.org/

Great online resource for asking questions and getting specific fixes for your model/make.
 
Posts: 28567 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
We checked the door seals. We did the dollar bill check, and we were able to get the bill out tugging on it, but don't really have a reference as to how tight it should be. We will go to an appliance store tomorrow and check on the fridges there to gauge it.

I will check that link HRK, thank you. Someone else had mentioned to check the recirculation fan which should be located near the bottom, and is supposed to push cold air back up towards the top.


Tony
 
Posts: 499 | Registered: December 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tonydec:
I have a Jenn-Air side by side refrigerator.


Email me your model and serial at the e-add in my profile and I will send you the tech sheet and any other resources available on diagnosing it.


__________________________
Writing the next chapter that I've been looking forward to.
 
Posts: 11688 | Location: Willow Fen Farm | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Sometimes when a thermostat is going bad they do this.
 
Posts: 21808 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Email sent Brad, thank you.

As an update, I checked the parts sheet, no recirculation fan, just the evaporator fan. The upper vents seem to still be blowing cold air, but the lower most vent is very weak or not blowing. We rearranged items on the shelves to make sure the vents are not blocked. Top shelf still not freezing.
Ice cream is cold, but not frozen.

I am also watching TMmat's thread (new fridge), just in case.


Tony
 
Posts: 499 | Registered: December 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tonydec:
Email sent Brad, thank you.

As an update, I checked the parts sheet, no recirculation fan, just the evaporator fan. The upper vents seem to still be blowing cold air, but the lower most vent is very weak or not blowing. We rearranged items on the shelves to make sure the vents are not blocked. Top shelf still not freezing.
Ice cream is cold, but not frozen.

I am also watching TMmat's thread (new fridge), just in case.


The duct for the lower vent might be blocked with ice. I'd try to unplug it and bow warm air up the vent with a hair dryer for 10 minutes and see if water starts leaking out, etc.
 
Posts: 21808 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Jimmy. I plan on taking the entire panel off and taking a look. According to what I have read and seen so far, if there is ice on the condenser it is typically due to a bad evaporator fan/motor. If I do find ice there, I will defrost it as I check the fan and see what happens. Just have to check with some neighbors and see if anyone has some spare space in their freezer. Shouldn't take that long, but with my luck...


Tony
 
Posts: 499 | Registered: December 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I would like to give a shout out to Appliance Brad. He was very helpful throughout this process. He walked me through a step-by-step process to try and identify the problem.

Turns out it was a failed sealed system, which is non-repairable.

Thank You so much Brad, you are an asset to Sigforum. And thanks to the others that attempted to help.


Tony
 
Posts: 499 | Registered: December 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Freezer not consistent

© SIGforum 2026