SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking for a source for a tiny compression spring.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a source for a tiny compression spring. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
http://stocksprings.drtemplema...-guide/sg-060-012-48

Specifications
Outside Diameter - in.
Inside Diameter - in.
Wire Diameter - in.
Free Length - in.
Material
Stainless Steel

Did you note the "close wound spring, coils in contact" in the description. That is NOT a Compression spring, it is in fact an Extension Spring.

The good news is that you provided a link to an excellent resource and after some poking I found one that is quite close to what the OP is seeking.

http://stocksprings.drtemplema...00/can-0137-0952-s-1

M1Garandy, if you need an EXACT spring as you requested you wont find it and I don't think that you'll find anyone willing to hand wind it. Because the tolerances you have requested cannot be held. Seriously, +/- 0.002 inch for coil diameter on a spring, you would be doing well at +/- 0.01 inch. I would suggest that you consider the concept that close enough is good enough. In which the link I posted may be close enough.

You are correct about the closed coil spring. I did find several open coil springs on the same website as you did.

I'm only trying to get close, but to far astray from the specs, and it won't fit the application. I think with the leads given so far, I'm doing much better than I was before I asked.

Posts: 922 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
What’s it for?

I've been waiting for someone to ask that!

I'm looking to replicate P/N 7791135 which is the sight aperture springs for the NM/2A hooded aperture for the M1/M14 rifles.

Full specs below:

Spring, Helical, Compression
Diam. of wire .0120 +/- .0005
Diam. of coil .060 +/- .002
Free length .133 REF
Active coils 5
Total coils 7
Direction of helix R.H. or L.H.
Load of compressed length .144= 1.o Lb +/- .10 Lb
Load of compressed length .089= 2.4 Lb +/- .25 Lb
Spring rate 54 Lb/In ref
Solid length .086 Max
Type of ends Closed & Ground
Special Data: Hole Diam which spring fits freely .064 Min

Bubba took his aperture apart and like a good Bubba does, he lost the springs, bearings, thrust washer and the circlip. Naturally Bubba then soldered the hood to the rack. I ended up with it, unsoldered the hood from the rack, cleaned everything and secured all the missing parts EXCEPT these tiny coil springs.

I've got several contacts in the M1/M14 parts and repair world and nobody had a source for them other than finding a broken aperture to rob the springs from.

Posts: 922 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Member Tonyben deals with the M14, he might have a line on the spring

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11286 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greymann:
Colt SAA uses a coil spring in the firing pin about the size your looking for. I looked but I can't find one to measure. The spring I'm referring to is #38 on Numrich diagram for Colt SAA, they are about .060 od but I'm not sure of wire size.
Or you could wind your own from .012 guitar string . If you know anyone with a lathe they could wind up a nice one . Your local gunsmith may have one too.
Out of curiosity what is the spring for?

All good ideas. I think I have a broken Italian Colt clone hammer in a box of parts I can look at.

I wish I had access to a machinist, gunsmith or even a friend with a lathe.

When I move, I sure hope to gain enough shop room for a lathe, mill and a decent welder.

That said, I just watched a couple of YouTube videos on making compression springs, and that seems like it just might be doable if I can come up with something small enough to use for a mandrel.

posted Hide Post
Call Wolff and tell them what you’re looking for. I did when I needed a stronger spring for a mag release. Told them the dimensions and they sent me a bag of them, even though I just needed one. They didn’t charge me, but I have an account with them so that may have factored into it. I hope you find the spring you need!

Posts: 177 | Registered: May 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Success!

I got to thinking about the post about SAA hammer nose springs and I got to thinking about my boxes of S&W wheelgun parts.

I ended up using what was probably a J/K/L/N frame sear spring cut to length and it worked perfectly!

Thanks all. Don't worry, I've got another project I'm working on that I'll likely post a question about shortly.