SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Northern Kentuckys' only Flea Market is winding down..
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Northern Kentuckys' only Flea Market is winding down.. Login/Join 
7.62mm Crusader
posted
The Market at Richwood is nearing its final weeks. I never saw it in its hay day but am told any open day there were 240 Vendors outside. The indoors housed another 160. 2011 Wind storm took down a great portion of its building, from which it never recovered. While the Stalling Brothers have been telling people all manner of half truths for several years now, I was the one who let the cat out of the bag finding the property for sale sinse March 2019. The remaining 35 indoor Vendors are retiring, moving out and some no longer open for business. Its kitchen equipments have now been completely sold off. Other parts of the business have been sold on Facebook. A 32 foot shed sold for $1,000.00. Signs are being removed from the property, the south end of the building has become 31 storage units of 12 x 40 feet. The north end has one row at 36 units of 12 x 12 feet. The outdoor pavillion and parking/ vending lots are in very bad condition. We fear when the more involved Stalling brother returns in 2 weeks from his hunting trip, we will lose the north entry gate which the parking outside of is property sold to Indian Motorcycle of Northern Kentucky. It looks like the Market owners continue to drain every dollar from the business on their way out. I am told the Market was the pride and joy of the parents who left it to the sons. Soon there will be no Market in northern Kentucky. Kinda sad to see it go down.

Posts: 17987 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been there a couple of times in years past and enjoyed it. Shame to see it go.
But cheer up! You can always go up to Monroe to Traders World. And Touchdown Jesus!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16391 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
There used to be one in Clifton Heights call The Bazaar Of All Nations. A ramshackle collection of buildings. One spot sold Wurlitzer Organs and a guy about 90 years old manned the booth twice a week. He'd play material he learned in the 1920s and 1930s in his employment on the Mighty Wurlitzer Theatre Organ. A company man from his teens until his death.

After the buildings were torn down, the township would not let the property developer blast out the rock outcroppings for construction of a Home Depot. Machinery chipped away at the outcroppings for months.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
The Market at Richwood is nearing its final weeks....Soon there will be no Market in northern Kentucky. Kinda sad to see it go down.

Thanks for "Sweeping up the Spotlight", David.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44498 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I has sucked for the last 10 years. I don't share the OPs feelings for it. The brothers wouldn't let vendors sell handguns because they didn't like them. I used to go on Tuesday Mornings just for something to do. No more.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18394 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
They had a Cruise in car show a couple Tuesdays back. Maybe 20 cars but 90 plus were expected. The man who promoted the Cruise in said people had nothing but bad to say about the Market all the way down to Dry Ridge. The indoor FFL moved out last week. Yes rburg, the owner is a dick. Hes hunting moose again this week spending 5 G. He hates his own business. Pleanty of blame to go around and Im not afraid to tell folks from Kentucky, its your Flea Market. Dumping garbage across the property, stealing, property destruction, setting fires, chem dumps, got old sets of tires to dispose of, just stop by and drop them in the lot. This is how they are to anothers property. The owner is slowly turning it into storage and camper parking. Rumors for several years are that U Haul has their sights on it.

Posts: 17987 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Run out of fleas?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38247 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
Where are you moving too?

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Market at Richwood

When my daughter still lived in Independence I went with my former SIL, he bought pickles from a vendor there, this was in the early 2000's

It looked like it was going out then, not a lot of vendors.

They had a Flea Market here in Sanford, been there for a long time, my guess is as it too passed down from generation along with property values going up in the area on a main local highway it was torn down, sold off and is gone..

Link

Posts: 24339 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
There is still a pretty good one on I-65 about 20 miles s of Louisville called Awesome Flea Mkt. Not as good as it once was but they don't care what you sell, handguns, dogs, goats and pigs, etc. You never know what will show up.

Posts: 4828 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I remember when Richwood was a good flea market to visit. Last time I was there was 2004, while looking at kitchen cabinets.

Great Flea Markets I have visited:

The one that started it all for me was the Losantiville Flea Market. Probably gone for 30 years now. I used to buy coins and stamps for my collections. This is also where I bought my first Parker Vacumatic. Books, records antiques, produce and junk of all kind could be found here.

Other local flea markets include Cesar's Creek: I stopped there last year on my way home from a OGCA show. What a disappointment, I had not been in probably a dozen years or so.

Red Barn Flea Market in Batavia. IIRC, this was an on again, off again flea market that you could see from St. Rt. 32, it was just difficult as hell to get there, unless you were familiar with the area.

Traders World. Back in the day (25 years ago), this was the place to go. Shit, they had everything. Indoor and outdoor booths available. I visited last year, what a disappointment.

Across I-75 from Traders World is Treasure Isle. This was kind of late to the game and I honestly do not know how they survive. Went last year, won't go again.

The Burlington, KY. flea market, was held once a month, during the warmer months at the fair grounds in Burlington. I would get up at 4:00 am to get there on a Sunday morning to look for fountain pens. My nemesis was a guy by the name of Pimmel. If I would see him when I arrived, I would head to the other end of the flea market and start there. This guy was a big-time collector and left nothing for anyone else.

Flea Markets I have visited in Florida include USA, South of Spring Hill. Have not been in 20 years or so. Pretty typical of a large flea market.

Howards Flea Market in Homosassa, FL. Good not great the last time I was there, probably 15-17 years ago. Old-school Florida flea market. 15-30 years ago, I really enjoyed this one, it was sad to see it go down hill.

The Mac Daddy for me, has always been the Webster, Florida Flea Market. This is real old-school Florida, in a little cow town named Webster. Held on the fair grounds, but only on Mondays. In the 90's and early 2000's, If I was in the State of Florida on vacation, you could find me at Websters on Monday. Found many pens for my collection there. Websters was the place where people who had purchased an estate would take their stuff to sell. I have not been to Websters in probably 18 years, but have lots of great memories scouring the isles of Vendors I would only get to see once or twice a year. On Tuesday's, I believe they auction livestock there.

I am saddened to see the decline of the flea markets of days gone by. I believe the internet has played a large role in the decline of these once fun places to go. The internet has also made finding a diamond in the rough, much more difficult. With a click of a button, I can now find out what something is worth.

Sorry to ramble, but your thread made me think of many flea markets I have visited, some better, some worse, but flea markets nonetheless.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36898 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
When I first moved to this area, thirty-some years ago, my wife's father and step-mother sold pet supplies at the Daytona flea market.

I have not been there for years. Don't even know if the flea market is still there.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31446 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My guess is EBay has contributed to death of the flea market.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16391 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
P220, you left out Whites over in Brookville, in. No, not a short drive but all good roads when IN doesn't lose 52 for one of their career projects. They take forever to fix roads. Its just what remains of a huge hayfield with some roads kind of plowed in to make parking and booths.

But on a good Wednesday, its packed. Thousands of customers and a whole bunch of vendors. Easily the equal of Traders World. Better still, not as many commercial booths. Most are just good ole boys sellin' their junk. I'm no longer able to walk the entire thing. Yeah, goats, chickens and what not down in the front by the big barn.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18394 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
When I first moved to this area, thirty-some years ago, my wife's father and step-mother sold pet supplies at the Daytona flea market.

I have not been there for years. Don't even know if the flea market is still there.

yep it's still there, once a month they have a car show, pretty decent one, it's always crowded, good location at the corner of I95, International Speedway Blvd and I-4.

https://daytonafleamarket.com/

Websters still kicking

https://websterwestsidefleamarket.com/

And Webster still has the Wesside Cycle Swap meet every 1st Sunday, haven't been in a while.

Got a lot of old parts maybe I should go out there in my overalls, straw hat, and see what's up...

https://www.cyclemeet.com/index.php

Posts: 24339 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
Anybody from Kansas ever go to "Macys' on the Kaw"?

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3809 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
It was a excellent post P220. I've heard of both Websters and Dayton Markets. Richwood is now owned by U Haul. They are being kind to the Vendors and Customers. We are told at a minimum there are 30 days left but will likely go to years end. Less Vendors outside show once Winter sets in. Several key indoor Vendors are leaving by months end. Some are giving up very expensive and large storage units they've rented for years. Some have spent 70 to 80+ thousand dollars over a decade to rent the 40 footers.