SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    "B-25 - Birth of a Gunship"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"B-25 - Birth of a Gunship" Login/Join 
posted
The article has some great photos of the 50 cals and a few of the 75mm.

https://www.thearmorylife.com/b-25-mitchell/

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link to a very informative article. Cool photos as well!

Posts: 375 | Location: The Dark And Bloody Ground | Registered: July 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
The article has some great photos of the 50 cals and a few of the 75mm.

https://www.thearmorylife.com/b-25-mitchell/

Thanks much for the post! I’ve always liked that airplane.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
The B-25 sure made it's mark on early ww2 history with the Doolittle's Raid.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pappy Gunn was a certified badass!

OZ

Posts: 160 | Registered: February 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
Pappy Gun also converted early A-20s from glass nose to gunships in my fathers squadron. All the A-20 work was low level, strafing,parafragging and skip bombing into ships.
89th Attack Squadron and 13th squadron, Townsville and Charters Towers Australia and then Port Moresby, New Guinea. Dad was there 1/1942 through 1943.

Posts: 1224 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
Martin Caidin wrote a pretty good story about these airplanes in the novel "Whip". It's in the old Bantam series of paperback war books.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
One of the first model airplanes I ever built was at B-25H model very similar to this one. Ever since it's always had a special place in my heart.

The model I built was armed with
- four (4) .50 Cal in the nose as in the image
- one (1) 75mm cannon lower left nose
- two (2) .50 cal in blisters on the right side
- two (2) .50 cal in blisters on the left side
- two (2) .50 cal in the top turret
- one (1) .50 cal in the right window mount
- one (1) .50 cal in the left window mount
- two (2) .50 cal in the tail gunner position

This meant that in a diving attack, they could bring ten (10) .50 cal (nose guns, blister guns, top turret) and one (1) 75mm cannon to bear on the target. When pulling out they could bring four (4) .50 cal (top turret & tail) to bear on the target.

Anyone have any ideas where the concept for the A-10 might have been born?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37958 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Ever since it's always had a special place in my heart.

A-10 has always been my favorite (along with the AC=130)

But this has always been close in my heart as well.

They are very similar in terms of size.

See: Here

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1957 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Always been my favorite WWII plane since I built a Revel kit and hung it from my childhood ceiling.

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My uncle flew B-25's in North Africa (he also buzzed Rye, NY in his B-25, but that is another story). Always been a favorite of mine.

Posts: 694 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
I have a really good book that has a lot of information on this subject.
HARVEST of the GRIM REAPERS, The illustrated history of the 3rd and 27th Bombardment Groups during World War II.
This is a very heavily researched book. It is 500 plus pages with numerous photographs, footnotes, printed on glossy paper and with a hardcover. NOT cheap but a great reference for those interested.

Posts: 1224 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:
quote:
Ever since it's always had a special place in my heart.

A-10 has always been my favorite (along with the AC=130)

But this has always been close in my heart as well.

They are very similar in terms of size.

See: Here

Good link!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
B-25 was engineered by North American Aviation.

North American Aviation = awesome.

Think of all the aircraft that this one company produced that changed the outcome of wars.

T6
P51
B25
F86
X15
XB70
B1

Amazing

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Mitchells and Mustangs - my two WWII favs. Made models of both as a kid.

Posts: 9042 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:

Barbie III. I flew on her twice when she was stationed out of Phoenix. Awesome experience, especially since the B-25 has always been one of my all-time favorite airplanes (well, since I was 5 or 6 and read about the Doolittle Raid). IIRC, that is the second B-25 equipped with the 75mm cannon as a test article, and also IIRC, she never saw combat. Still, an amazing ride.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21847 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post