SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Monday Morning Quote of the Week - When You Say Goodbye to Your Parents
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Monday Morning Quote of the Week - When You Say Goodbye to Your Parents Login/Join 
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted
When You Say Goodbye to a Parent
By Donna Ashworth.

You are suddenly living in a new world.

You are no longer “the child” and regardless of how long you have officially been “grown up” for, you realize you actually never were until this moment. The shock of this adjustment will shake your very core.

When you have finally said goodbye to both your parents, assuming you were lucky enough to have had two. You are an orphan on this earth and that never, ever gets easier to take no matter how old and gray you are yourself and no matter how many children of your own you have.

You see, a part of your body is physically connected to the people that made it and also a part of your soul. When they no longer live, it is as if you are missing something practical that you need – like a finger or an arm. Because really, you are. You are missing your parent and that is something far more necessary than any limb.

Any yet the connection is so strong it carries on somehow, no-one knows exactly. But they are there. In some way, shape or form they are still guiding you if you listen closely enough. You can hear the words they would choose to say to you.

You can feel the warmth of their approval, their smile when a goal is achieved, their all-consuming love filling the air around you when a baby is born, they haven’t met.

If you watch your children very closely you will see that they too have a connection with your parents long after they are gone. They will say things that resonate with you because it brings so many memories of the parent you are missing. They will carry on traits, thoughts and sometime they will even see them in their dreams.

This is not something we can explain.

Love is very mystical and wondrous entity.

It is far better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all and grief, grief is the price of that love. The deeper the love the stronger the grief.

When you say goodbye to a parent, do not forget to connect with that little girl/boy who still lives inside of you somewhere.

Take very good care of him/her for, he/she will be alone and scared.

When you say goodbye to your parents, you lose an identity, a place in the world. When the people you put you on this earth are no longer here, it changes everything.

Look after yourself the way they looked after you and listen out for them when you need it the most.

They never really leave.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: h2oys,

Posts: 3735 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admit nothing. Deny everything.
Make counter-accusations.
Picture of rkentm
posted Hide Post
Very beautifully stated….

"Ladies and Gentlemen - The Fit has hit the Shan!"

Posts: 571 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
their ass-consuming love filling the air around you

A what?

Posts: 17215 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
in the original, it is "all-consuming"

https://ladiespassiton.com/201...goodbye-to-a-parent/

Posts: 19605 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
their ass-consuming love filling the air around you

A what?

You never know... Some people might be into that kinda thing.

Posts: 32553 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Guys, I typed the post this AM based upon a pic of the original. Sorry for the typo...

Posts: 3735 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I don't know, after a day of taking care of the grandkids, my ass is pretty much consumed.

Posts: 18089 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
"a day" ?

I'm lucky to last an hour

I did like the original post though.

There is a wide range of how people feel about their parents. I was lucky to have great parents.

Posts: 19605 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
That hit home. My parents died relatively young. My father died first and mom passed about 2 1/2 years later. I told my friends then that I was a 49 year old orphan. You have to become a "real" adult then, no upline for advice anymore. You find ways to go on.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5690 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think of my parents so very often, and miss them both. I believe that that is the way it is supposed to be.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Very comforting. Thanks for that. My parents were married 55 years. They both passed in 2015, 4 months apart. The grief is duller today, but will always be present. And painful. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
My folks passed about five months apart. I recall mentioning to one of my brothers that not only are we orphans, we are that generation now. We are our parents' generation. As a young fella, you never can imagine that that day would come...but it did.

Posts: 20131 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
A good post. I still have both of mine and see them daily.

I'll appreciate them just that much more today.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice article. Like Krazeehorse, I lost both of my parents at a relatively young age. My father died out of the blue in 2015. He was only 73 and had just rode his exercise bike for 90 minutes and was relaxing afterwards. He biked 4-6 days per week and seemed to be very fit and healthy. Total shock.

My Mom followed in 2019 after a short and furious case of cancer. She had never been very healthy and by then she was ready to join Dad.

I was 52 when both of my parents were gone. And yes, I felt a cosmic "I guess I'm next... since my parents are gone." G-d willing, my kids will be alright...

Posts: 3539 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both of my parents have passed. It’s been a few years. It might be a little easier now, but I miss them both so much.

Thank you for the original post.

Posts: 797 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
When people would address me as “Mr (my last name)”, I’d always counter with “That’s my Dad”. After he passed, it has always hit me he was gone when someone addresses me by my last name.

Posts: 1505 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear:
When people would address me as “Mr (my last name)”, I’d always counter with “That’s my Dad”. After he passed, it has always hit me he was gone when someone addresses me by my last name.

If you are suddenly elevated to Patriarch of the family that would be some heady stuff.

Posts: 1634 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Dad has been gone since 1993. Mom is 97 next month. Mom keeps me busy these days....

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6321 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post