SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ya load 16 tons, whadda ya get?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ya load 16 tons, whadda ya get? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
Arrested:

Coast Guard seizes 16 tons of cocaine worth over $400M in Pacific

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 109051 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
Life in prison, I hope.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1877 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Another day older and deeper in debt??

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
I read the headline then began reading the article and thought, "Wait, Everglades City...Pacific Ocean..."

The drugs were unveiled in Everglades City from operations run in the Eastern Pacific. I wonder why the drugs were shipped to FL?

That is a crazy amount of cocaine. What did jhe post about the amount of coke needed per hooker? 3 grams per hooker?

Let's see, 16 tons is 14,514,956 grams divided by three is 4,838,318 and two thirds hooks. Just to put it in perspective. Ha!

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rsbolo:

Let's see, 16 tons is 14,514,956 grams divided by three is 4,838,318 and two thirds hooks.

So.. drawing straws for who gets the 2/3 hooker? Big Grin

Collecting dust.

Posts: 4173 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Port Everglades, not Everglades City. They're on opposite sides of the state and other than being on water, they couldn't be more different. Everglades City was a big marijuana smuggling area i, the 70s and 80s until the DEA arrested half the town.

Posts: 11616 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:

One of about 4 songs we had to have memorized before finishing the sixth grade, another of interest was "The Ballad of the Green Berets".

Make it count

Posts: 1429 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: November 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
quote:
Let's see, 16 tons is 14,514,956 grams divided by three is 4,838,318 and two thirds hooks.

Frankenhooker?

Posts: 7400 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
Dirty.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alreadydead:
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:

One of about 4 songs we had to have memorized before finishing the sixth grade, another of interest was "The Ballad of the Green Berets".

Let me guess the other two:

The Frozen Logger

Louie, Louie

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32008 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I wonder if they'll see a jump in the street price because of this. If not, that would say something.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
I wonder if they'll see a jump in the street price because of this. If not, that would say something.

That depends on whose numbers you believe are actually representative of the quantity of drugs smuggled into the US.

One USDOJ.gov report says that in 2009 the USG seized 18.5 TONS of cocaine (just cocaine) along the northern and southern borders.

Another Foxnews.com report states:

quote:
Both Guatemala and El Salvador were singled out as hot zones for drug trafficking with the latter seeing a doubling of cocaine seized in 2015 over 2014. There are "hundreds of metric tons ... smuggled through Guatemala" every year, with 2015 drug seizure statistics level with those from 2014, the report found.

So, one load was equal to all of 2009's seizures combined, or more probably, it is less than 2% of annual trafficking totals.

Still, 16 tons is a shitload of cocaine, worth upwards of $200M at wholesale. You can bet that the CDTO that lost that shipment is going to make life unbearable looking for the leak that gave it away.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32008 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
16 tons pure, just think of the total weight when it would have hit the street after it had been stepped on a few times.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Coast Guard HITRON intercept of a go fast video

video link

Posts: 24238 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bent but not broken
Picture of maddy345
posted Hide Post
The armed HITRON helicopters are really coming into their own.

Nothing more frustrating than having an air asset overhead that can only watch and record.

The Over The Horizon (OTH) chase boats the cutters are carrying are now faster, able to track by radar and have much longer endurance also.

These two assets combined are leading to more interdictions.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

God bless the Motor Life Boat and the men & women that run them!

Posts: 3955 | Location: Just out of reach | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King of Goodness
Picture of varoadking
posted Hide Post
quote:
I read the headline then began reading the article and thought, "Wait, Everglades City...Pacific Ocean..."

The drugs were unveiled in Everglades City from operations run in the Eastern Pacific. I wonder why the drugs were shipped to FL?

That is a crazy amount of cocaine. What did jhe post about the amount of coke needed per hooker? 3 grams per hooker?

Let's see, 16 tons is 14,514,956 grams divided by three is 4,838,318 and two thirds hooks. Just to put it in perspective. Ha!

I believe it was 2 grams per hooker...

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/9600097124

Posts: 6699 | Location: Dixie | Registered: February 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
It isn't 16 tons, but in YouTube, search for:

"Video of a guy carrying bricks on the boat, piling on the head"

It's damned impressive – matches the skill of anything that I've ever seen in the Olympics. Near the end of the one-minute clip, the commentator mutters, "No way…" That was my thought too.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9437 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
quote:

Frankenhooker?

Midget hookers?

I'm in.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11463 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Still wondering why they brought the drugs into Fort Lauderdale, FL (Port Everglades). You couldn't get a coast guard ship into Everglades City, too shallow anyways. But why bring the drugs all of the way here from the Pacific.

I think the boat in the video was a decoy boat or giveaway boat. The drug lords tend to do that to distract the USCG from another area where they're running 12 boats. The reason I say this, is when I live in Belive in 2005 (as a Yacht Captain) 2-3 of those drug panga's would be every week, either floating after they transfered the drugs to another vessel or run into the mangroves and offloaded in Northern Belize. They were 1 time use boats. BUT, they used the same size Panga's but they were rigged with triple outboards. This one being rigged with twin outboards tells me, they wanted it to get caught (not fast enough to outrun interdiction boats etc.).

I got to play with several of these panga's as the Belizian minister of Police was a good friend of the owner I worked for and he bought 1/2 a dozen of them, either for the 3 brand new 200hp yamaha's (at the time) for his fleet of dive boats, or he also converted 2 of them into dive boats. They were fast. I went out on one (they're 38') with 24 people, 40 dive tanks, and 2 large coolers full of drinks and ice, and with only 2-200hp yamaha's it got up and would run almost 50 mph WOT. But with triple 200s (how they all were rigged, aside from some 42' with diesel stern drives that popped up once in a blue moon) they'd do 70mph+. The third motor REALLY helped them get on plane when they were fully loaded with groceries. They have a very sharp deep v in the front that cuts the waves and about a 18" wide flat pad the back 1/3 of the boat that it runs on, they ride great and weight doesn't slow them down like a normal deep V.

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post