SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wouldn't you love to try these Japanese Kobe beef croquettes? Only a 30 year waitlist!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wouldn't you love to try these Japanese Kobe beef croquettes? Only a 30 year waitlist! Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted
Customers currently receiving orders placed them about 10 years ago Eek

https://www.cnn.com/travel/art...placement=newsletter

These Japanese beef croquettes are so popular there's a 30-year waitlist

If you order a box of frozen Kobe beef croquettes from Asahiya, a family-run butcher shop in Takasago City in western Japan's Hyogo Prefecture, it'll take another 30 years before you receive your order.

That isn't a typo. Thirty. Years.

Founded in 1926, Asahiya sold meat products from Hyogo prefecture -- Kobe beef included -- for decades before adding beef croquettes to the shelf in the years following WWII.

But it wasn't until the early 2000s that these deep-fried potato and beef dumplings became an internet sensation, resulting in the ridiculously long wait buyers now face.

An unprofitable business idea
The highly coveted "Extreme Croquettes" are one of four types of Kobe beef croquettes available at Asahiya. Can't wait three decades? The shop's Premier Kobe Beef Croquettes currently have a more palatable four-year waitlist.

"We started selling our products through online shopping in 1999," explains Shigeru Nitta, third-generation owner of Asahiya. "At that time, we offered Extreme Croquettes as a trial."
Growing up in Hyogo, Nitta has been visiting the local ranches and beef auctions with his father since he was young.

He took over the shop from his father in 1994 when he was 30 years old.

After experimenting with e-commerce for a few years, he realized customers were hesitant to pay a hefty sum for prime beef online.

hat was when he made a bold decision.
"We sold Extreme Croquettes at the price of JPY270 ($1.8) per piece... The beef in them alone costs about JPY400 ($2.7) per piece," says Nitta.

"We made affordable and tasty croquettes that demonstrate the concept of our shop as a strategy to have customers enjoy the croquettes and then hope that they would buy our Kobe beef after the first try."

To limit the financial loss in the beginning, Asahiya only produced 200 croquettes in their own kitchen next to their shop each week.

"We sell the beef raised by the people we know. Our shop only sells meat that was produced in Hyogo Prefecture, whether it's Kobe beef, Kobe pork or Tajima chicken. This has been the style of the shop since before I became the owner," says Nitta.

In fact, Nitta's grandfather used to ride to Sanda -- another famous Wagyu-breeding area in Hyogo -- by bike with a handcart to pick up the produce himself.

"Since around that period our shop had connections with local beef producers, so we did not have to get them from outside the prefecture," Nitta adds.

Production boosted but popularity grows
The cheap price tag of the Extreme Croquettes flies in the face of the quality of the ingredients. They're made fresh daily with no preservatives. Ingredients include three-year-old female A5-ranked Kobe beef and potatoes sourced from a local ranch.

Nitta says he has encouraged the ranch to use cow manure to grow the potatoes. The stems of the potatoes will then be fed to the cows, creating a cycle.

Eventually, his unique concept caught the attention of locals and media. When a report about Asahiya's croquettes came out in the early 2000s, their popularity skyrocketed.

"We stopped selling them in 2016 because the waiting time became over 14 years. We were thinking of stopping orders, but we got many calls requesting to keep offering them," says Nitta.

Asahiya resumed accepting orders for these croquettes in 2017 but raised the price.
"At that time, we raised the price to JPY500 ($3.4)-JPY540 ($3.7) with consumption tax. But since the export of Kobe beef began, the prices of beef have doubled, so the fact that the production of croquettes makes a deficit has not changed," says Nitta.

Production has also been boosted from 200 croquettes a week to 200 croquettes per day.
"In reality, the Extreme Croquettes got way more popular than other products," Nitta chuckles, laughing at his own money-losing business idea.
"We hear that we should hire more people and make croquettes more quickly, but I think there is no shop owner who hires employees and produce more to make more deficit... I feel sorry for having them wait. I do want to make croquettes quickly and send them as soon as possible, but if I do, the shop will go bankrupt."

Fortunately, Nitta says that about half of the people who try the croquettes end up ordering their Kobe beef, so it's a sound marketing strategy.

Nitta's mission: Let more people enjoy Kobe beef
Each box of Extreme Croquettes, which includes five pieces, sells for JPY2,700 ($18.40).
The shop sends a regular newsletter to waiting customers updating them on the latest shipping estimate.

A week before the delivery date, the shop will confirm the delivery with the patient customers once again.

"Of course, some people have changed their email addresses. For those people, we call them directly and let them know the delivery date. They can change their address themselves through our website or when we call them, they can let us know," says Nitta.

Customers receiving croquettes these days placed their orders about 10 years ago.

Having a 30-year list of unprofitable orders to fulfill can be stressful, especially as the price of Kobe beef and labor continues to rise.
But something more important has encouraged Nitta to keep going.

"When I started selling croquettes on the internet, I got many orders from remote isolated islands. Most of them had heard of Kobe beef on TV but had never had them because they had to go to cities if they want to try it. I realized that there were so many people who have never had Kobe beef.

"For that reason, I continued offering croquettes as a trial and get more orders for Kobe beef if they liked it. That was why I started it in the first place, so I didn't really care if it was a deficit," says Nitta.
One of the most memorable moments was when they got an order from a cancer patient who was about to go through surgery while waiting for their Extreme Croquettes.

"I heard that our croquettes were the patient's motivation to go through surgery. That surprised me the most," says Nitta.

The patient survived and placed multiple orders since then.

Nitta received a call from the patient who told him "I hope to live long without reoccurrence of cancer" after sampling his croquettes.
"I still remember that. I was moved by the comment," says Nitta.

By letting more people enjoy Kobe beef, he hopes that the fame of these croquettes will help promote the local industry.

"I'm grateful. By becoming famous, I think I can help the whole industry, not just my shop, by making people who have not been interested in Kobe beef get interested. I want to have as many people as possible eat Kobe beef -- not just from my shop," says Nitta.

How to sample beef croquettes now
Asahiya now has two locations: their original store at Takasago City and a shop in Kobe city. Its frozen beef croquettes are only shipped domestically.

Though Asahiya primarily operates as a butcher, Nitta says travelers can visit their Kobe shop, where they sell two types of ready-to-eat takeaway snacks, called "Tor Road" and "Kitanozaka" croquettes, named after nearby streets.

"Kitanozaka" uses lean beef and is priced at JPY360 ($2.5) each. "Tor Road" uses short loin and chuck, and costs JPY460 ($3.1).
"We age the meat for 40 days and the potatoes for one month so that they will be sweeter," says Nitta.

As for the future, the 58-year-old owner says they're thinking about expanding.

"I would like to make a small space where people can eat a bit, maybe. Our Kobe shop is a tourist spot," he says. "But if it becomes a restaurant, our neighboring restaurants might be annoyed because we supply the meat for them too."

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
By which time my cholesterol levels would preclude even a bite.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31485 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Looks tasty, but I'll likely forget about this article in a couple of days.

I've had Kobe beef, and while it was pretty damn good, it wasn't 30yr wait good.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17305 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Fools and their money.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Ridiculous

Posts: 107744 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I'd have to put it in my will.

And in 30 some years, I'd expect there will be engineered cattle the produces beef that has less cholesterol, tastes better, is more tender and can be picked up at the local Kroger's.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Wow, And I thought the wait for a Randall Made Knife was a long time.
For those who don't know Randall knives has a 4 to 5 year wait list.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2576 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Well, that's the stupidest thing I've read all week.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30433 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a beef based Ponzi scheme…

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15626 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Are they Market Price? Big Grin

Posts: 33888 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
It's been about 30 years since I had my Mom's turkey croquettes. Not to thread drift but if anyone can recommend a source for delicious turkey croquettes, w/o a year-long waitlist, I'd appreciate it!

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The word "croquette" makes me think of sports equipment, not food. I don't think I've ever had a croquette.

Posts: 107744 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I love them. I don't think I've ever had a bad one. In Japan, they are largely the same no matter where you go. 30 year waitlist just sounds stupid to me.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12761 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
All this talk about croquettes and I had to buy some today. No 30-year waiting list fortunately.

Croquettes - 1 by kpkina, on Flickr

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16390 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
kkina,
No Bonzai Corner in these parts. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16255 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I don't wait for any food for 30 minutes, let alone 30 years. Ridiculous.

Posts: 28009 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:
Wow, And I thought the wait for a Randall Made Knife was a long time.
For those who don't know Randall knives has a 4 to 5 year wait list.

And a far better use of money. You could kill, butcher, and carve your own beef with one if you were so motivated.

Posts: 17218 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I honestly can't grasp any of this. A 30 year wait list? You could be dead by then. Why not just open up a factory, hire a bunch of workers and get the things out in week. He would probably be a multi-millionaire in a year.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5054 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Croquettes are fairly easy to make. Typical in Japan would be ground beef filling inside curried mashed potato patty. Then battered, breaded and fried. 1 day wait would be perplexing to me, let alone 30 years. Good croquettes are available in every neighborhood of Japan. Common as tonkatsu pork cutlets or ramen.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12761 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
I honestly can't grasp any of this. A 30 year wait list? You could be dead by then. Why not just open up a factory, hire a bunch of workers and get the things out in week. He would probably be a multi-millionaire in a year.

In the article, the owner clearly states this is a loss-leader product and always has been. He could expand capacity to meet demand, but it would just drive him to bankruptcy no time. The price is part of the draw here, and he makes business on other products people order after trying the croquettes. What you're asking would be somewhat akin to Costco giving out nothing but free samples.

Posts: 17218 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post