SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Food Saver Vacuum Sealers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Food Saver Vacuum Sealers Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Just burned up our second one. Mid-range $100-ish machine.

We like the process as we buy meat in bulk and repackage in single meal quantities.

I guess we need to stick a crowbar in the wallet and spend a little more for a better quality machine.

Suggestions?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15528 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out Vacmaster, very happy with my chamber sealer. Don't remember the model number right now but I chose to go with the one that does not need oil changes as it is inan area with carpeting.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2949 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
I have an older Ary Vacmaster, similar to link. It has done well. I can say excellent service from them as the unit I now use was replaced free of charge on a out of warranty issue several years ago. We don't do a lot of processing any more; a half cow every year, don't hunt much anymore.

Posts: 3265 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
food savers need oil changes?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19776 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've seen the Weston brand touted as being very very good on this forum the last time the topic came up.

Posts: 21417 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
PHP we have the same and lately it doesn't seem to get a good seal as it once did, cleaned up the internals good, but I've had a few bags have areas pop open in the Sous Vide.

Curious about an upgrade as well...

I have the FoodSaver equivalent of the 3180 model at Costco, which is the 3182 now for non Costco users.

I did locate a Review on top 10

Link

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Buy it at Costco. If it dies they'll replace it for no charge. I burned one up packaging a lot of salmon and I took it back two years after I bought it, and they replaced it.

Posts: 3260 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Buy the most expensive Cabelas Commercial model you can afford.
Nothing but good things around here with them.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25703 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
I use one a good bit and find that a new gasket set will make one work again. If the motor is running it is a cheap and easy fix to try.

Posts: 2556 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
food savers need oil changes?

Food Savers do not but some of the vacuum pumps in the commercial chamber sealers do need to have the oil changed yearly.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2949 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
VacMaster VP215:

VacMaster VP215

Bought it years ago and is so damn versatile that we use it for much more than food.

IFAKS (you can get zip lock style mylar bags)
Vehicle emergency kit, including warm clothes and toilet paper
Small lots of food/parts in pint sized canning jars
Sous vide
Sealing wet stuff in bags (like soups and stews)
Making ice packs versus buying expensive gel packs that always end up leaking

Yes... you have to do an oil change every now and again, but it is really easy. Also, it can be repaired if you have any mechanical aptitude. They sell all of the spare parts you may need at the website.

Don't be shocked at the price. It fluctuates wildly and can be found much cheaper (sub $1,000). Look for Black Friday sales...

The "Boz"

Posts: 1552 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
If you use it a lot, and if you can live with the price, a VacMaster VP215 is a great investment. I ponied up the cash about a year ago and my wife wasn't exactly thrilled with me over it. If you asked her today she'd tell you we should have bought it years ago. She even freezes sauce in meal sized portions and they store in the freezer a thousand times better than freezer containers.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mark60,

Posts: 3541 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
WOW, how often do you use it? Are you getting the top of the line (assuming they still have multiple models).

I purchased a FoodSaver Pro (like 10 years ago). It's still working fine. I only use mine if I think the meat will be in the freezer more than a few months. Also use to freeze strawberries and blueberries. (If the meat will be used in a few months I find it easier to use a freezer bag.) But we're on a hamburger budget - not buying really good meat in bulk.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4892 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
First choice would be Vacmaster, 2nd would be Weston. Vacmasters tend to have more features. I use my Weston all the time to take advantage of meat sales.

If I needed another, I'd get:

https://www.vacmasterfresh.com...er-with-16-seal-bar/

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17626 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neel
posted Hide Post
In 20 years I burned up three foodsavers, granted I lived in Alaska, and did enough salmon, halibut moose and black tail deer to feed a family.
Last year I bought a Weston 2300. It doesn't have ability fill canisters or mason jars, and you do have to cut your own bags.
With that said it produces a stronger vacuum than any of the foodsavers I've had.

Posts: 559 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
The Vacmasters in the links and the Weston 2300 are out of stock. Is this a sign of the times in prepping?

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5545 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingfoot
posted Hide Post
I got the Vacmaster Pro360, and it has been great, I was tired of buying the Foodsaver brands, they just didn't last very long and I only used mine occasionally.

Posts: 1855 | Location: Peachtree City, GA | Registered: January 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post