SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    FL Gulf Coast Member Check In Thread: Idalia
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FL Gulf Coast Member Check In Thread: Idalia Login/Join 
Picture of Mr. Peteroniman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by navyshooter:
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
I have a Forest Service friend who lives at Navarre Beach, just east of Pensacola. He didn’t seem too concerned, feeling that the storm track was hooking off east of them. Said they could actuallyle the rain.

I'm right on the boarder of Gulf Breeze and Navarre and hes right, we do need the rain. Looks like the storm will be well to the east of us.

Pensacola, it probably won't even rain here, it'll just suck all the moister out of here to dump over there

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed.
For after all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Posts: 2016 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: June 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Barbarian at the Gate
Picture of Belwolf
posted Hide Post
Just east of Tampa, inland. Threw some sandbags by my son's apt door other than that not much else needed. Moderate winds expected where I am.

“Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it.”
― John Adams

"Fire can be our friend; whether it's toasting marshmallows, or raining down on Charlie."
- Principal Skinner.

Posts: 4363 | Location: Thonotosassa, FL | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DEC505
posted Hide Post
Live In Tampa. Looks like some heavy rain bands and 30-40 mph gusts. But we are safely located in mid Ohio on vacation. Good neighbors are looking out for us.

Hell has no fury like a liberal
confronted with reality

Posts: 814 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
St Pete here.

My shift as a shelter manager starts in a few hours. Not looking forward to it.

Posts: 3678 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ocala, Marion county here.I'm hoping the rains are not too awful but heavy rain will be better than full force winds, at least where we live. Have survived them all for the last 30+ years and hoping for more of same, God willing.

Posts: 520 | Location: Ocala, FL | Registered: October 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another from Pinellas checking in. We have our window covers all up, sliding doors covered, too. Loose stuff like garbage cans packed in behind the vehicles in the garage and now just waiting.

Looks like it is gonna be west of us, still headed northeast and gonna come ashore in the Big Bend area, north of us.

But we need to remember Charlie and Ian, both who made a fairly sharp right turn to the east and creamed Port Charlotte (Charlie-2004) and Fort Myers Beach,(Ian-2022).

So the straightshooter1 family, wife, wonder dog and yours truly are about as ready as we can be. Like many of the other folks here, we're more concerned about the loss of power than anything else. A/C and electricity are nice to have all the time.

Bob

Posts: 1576 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lived in Louisiana all my life . I've experienced some doozeys . You guys make sure you are over prepared , and be safe . Look out for your pets and elderly neighbors ..

Posts: 4065 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grrrrr! Power is off in my area. My old Gen 2
Ipad seems to be working on the battery.

Posts: 1576 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm in Inverness. We're currently experiencing some wicked lightning from a feeder band along with some heavy rain. May be in for a long night. I spent many years in Dixie, Levy and Taylor counties, they are sparsley populated but a storm of this magnitude will be devastating. Suwannee, Horseshoe, Shired, Stienhatchee, and even Cedar Key will be inundated with storm surge. Prayers out to them

Posts: 52 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ormond Beach here. Not expecting too much here, but you never know. It did encourage me to fill up all my jerry cans for the seasonal generator gas just in case.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thankfully the power is back. the power company said a tree fell on some lines.

Must say they fixed it pretty darned quickly.

Bob

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Ormond Beach here. Not expecting too much here, but you never know. It did encourage me to fill up all my jerry cans for the seasonal generator gas just in case.

This is a total long shot, but do you happen to know John Miller. Ex oil tanker chief engineer?

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38699 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I'm on Hilton Head Island. We're expecting 6-8" of rain and ~60mph winds...so they say. I've secured all my outdoor stuff and hoping for not too much of a headache. Getting laundry done and everything charged up in case of power failure.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38699 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I drove down to Naples and back today, definitely a lot of folks on the road. Weather was picking up on my way east once on I-4.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9695 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Checking in from Sarasota County. So far, it’s a nothingburger. Some rain and occasional wind. I feel badly for those who live right on the coast, and have to deal with the storm surge and high tides. And the eastern Panhandle is gonna get the brunt of the storm. But we’re ok here.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10495 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Charley was forecast to make a right turn to begin with. It was forecast to be further north before the turn happened and the weather people thought it was going to hit Tampa. Instead, it turned east further south than forecast and Charley’s eye made landfall at Cayo Costa on the southern end of Charlotte Harbor.

Ian didn’t make a sharp turn, but the forecast days out was Tampa again. However, as each day passed, the forecast path kept shifting south and Ian’s eye made landfall at Cayo Costa on the southern end of Charlotte Harbor.

Both eyes followed almost the same path over Punta Gorda and Port Charlotte into Central Florida. Charley was a very small storm whose eye was only 2 or 3 miles across. Ian’s eye was 34 miles across. In fact, the diameter of Charley’s hurricane force winds would have fit inside Ian’s eye. Charley had higher wind speeds, but it’s small size and the quick speed it was traveling limited the amount of damage it did. Ian was bigger and slower moving. It did damage from Naples all the way up to Sarasota. Because it moved slowly, it’s winds south of the eye really had a chance to push the Gulf inland. That’s what hit Sanibel and Fort Myers Beach down to Naples. Other areas inland flooded because of the sheer volume of rain as Ian moved slowly inland.

Anyway, at this stage of the game, the forecast landfall keeps being shifted north and it seems Tampa/St. Pete will be spared the eye. It’s booking along at 16mph and accelerating, so it’s winds won’t have time to push the Gulf inland except near the southern part of the eye.

Yesterday, my 17 year old’s college classes were cancelled for today, but not today. The college said they’d look today and make a decision about tomorrow. They cancelled classes for tomorrow which cracks me up because tomorrow looks much better today than it did yesterday. So what in the world did they look at? There’s zero reason to not have classes tomorrow.

Posts: 10988 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dunnellon here. Fully prepared so nothing else to do but watch and wait.

Posts: 289 | Location: North Central Florida | Registered: December 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do not know him. Is he on here?

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
CFL East Whorelando area, Few rain showers from the outer bands that have gone by, temps have dropped nicely it's 75, so far so good, as said before, filled up the cans, plenty of goods, generator fired up the other day, filled it with fuel.

Now if the DTV will keep working, otherwise it's off to streaming land...

Posts: 23517 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Today is the anniversary of Katrina, August 29, 2005.

Posts: 17258 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post