SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Car detail guys....best water spot remover? Update P.2: Solved
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Car detail guys....best water spot remover? Update P.2: Solved Login/Join 
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted
Washed the car this weekend and noticed some pretty stubborn water spots on the passenger side. This side faces the lawn sprinklers in the morning, so I think that's where they come from.

Was looking at Chemical Guys Water Spot Remover....But I haven't been super-impresed with the Jet Seal that I put on the car less than 6 months ago. Does the forum have any favorites for removing water spots?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ChicagoSigMan,

Posts: 6061 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Before getting into anything too exotic, I would first try a liquid cleaner/wax such as Meguiars.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
Before getting into anything too exotic, I would first try a liquid cleaner/wax such as Meguiars.

THat's what I washed the car with...

Posts: 6061 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would give a strong second to the Meguiars carnauba cleaner wax. I put it on fairly heavy, even let it sit up overnight in a garage,
And it will take off the water/mineral spots really well.

Posts: 3577 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
Would CLR (perhaps diluted) do the job without harm?

Posts: 12167 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
Get some clay.
I use it on the windshield also.

Posts: 1468 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I’ve always used a 1:1 ratio of white vinegar and distilled water. Use a sponge to wash the area for a minute or two and then rinse. Just make sure the vehicle is already washed beforehand and don’t wipe with a heavy hand. Rinse it well afterwards and then wax.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Any decent wax will remove water spots. I prefer Meguires products.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5023 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use this on my boat motor. It is the best product I have ever come across! Wipe it on and wipe it of! That easy... It will blow you away. Trust me.
The original water spot remove is what I use.

https://duckyproducts.com/stor...ot-Removers-c5736526

"Shoot lower, Sheriff, They're ridin' shetlands"
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?

Posts: 1360 | Location: S.E. Wi. | Registered: October 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I like Mother's or Meguire's Clay bar.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you tried wizard products yet?

quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
I like Mother's or Meguire's Clay bar.

Not a bad option either.

Posts: 106 | Registered: September 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of anglertoo
posted Hide Post
Car Washes use a PDMS chemical additive to force water to sheet off rather than coalesce into droplets that dry into water spots.
They buy it by the drum.
Many car washes (Meguire's, O'Reilly,.etc) have this stuff in their formula that causes water not to spot. Dry quickly with a cloth after washing.

“To see what is right and not do it, is want of courage”. Confucius

Posts: 177 | Location: North Central Connecticut | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clubleaf206:

I would be super careful with that stuff.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53116 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Censored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
Washed the car this weekend and noticed some pretty stubborn water spots on the passenger side. This side faces the lawn sprinklers in the morning, so I think that's where they come from.

Was looking at Chemical Guys Water Spot Remover....But I haven't been super-impresed with the Jet Seal that I put on the car less than 6 months ago. Does the forum have any favorites for removing water spots?

Kentucky water is horrible for spotting and I have tried may a way to remove water spots. The chemical guy's stuff is decent if the spots have not been there long. In my experience, best is probably, wash, clay bar and polish with a nice polishing compound, then wax. Remember to wax/seal paint after using any type of compound to remove water spots.

Posts: 2223 | Location: United States | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
And stop parking where your car gets sprinkled on! Razz

Worst spotting issue I ever had was a very light rain on a spotless black car, followed by blazing sun. Not just spots but etching, which was a bear to get out.

You've got good advice here (other than the CLR)that will work for you. May take some time/muscle/effort but you will try to avoid going forward.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12344 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

You washed your car with a cleaner/wax ??

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah just have the sprinkler wash off the soap on your Corvette.

Posts: 17155 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by clubleaf206:

I would be super careful with that stuff.
Agreed. That stuff would likely be incredibly harsh on the clear coat let alone any aluminum trim.

As to removing or addressing water spotting, read through this for some good info and recommendations.

https://www.autogeekonline.net...ighlight=water+spots

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

You washed your car with a cleaner/wax ??

Were you referring to a different kind of product?

Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Tried so far:

Chemical Guys Butter Wet Wax - No help

Vinegar solution - didn't work on paint. Helped slightly on plastic trim but not to a satisfactory level.

Clay - did not work at all

Ducky Original Water Spot Remover - did not work at all on paint or plastic trim.

I am thinking my next step will be a compound followed by a polish, wax and sealant.