SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Las Vegas: clown mask wearing man attempts to steal jet to fly to Area 51 to see aliens
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Las Vegas: clown mask wearing man attempts to steal jet to fly to Area 51 to see aliens Login/Join 
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted
Too much eggnog?

=================

Police: Man who breached McCarran security said he wanted to steal jet

Matthew Hancock. METRO POLICE

By Casey Harrison
Thu, Dec 9, 2021 (7:05 p.m.)

Air traffic at McCarran International Airport was temporarily halted Wednesday after a man rammed his limousine through security gates and claimed to have a bomb, according to a Metro Police arrest report.

Matthew Hancock, 36, was arrested Wednesday afternoon and booked at the Clark County Detention Center on counts of communicating a bomb threat, threatening an act of terrorism, trespassing and causing a dispersal hoax. He remains in custody, according to jail records.

Officers responded to the airport at about 6:45 p.m. after receiving a report of a vehicle performing doughnuts in the parking lot of a fixed-base operator, which is a commercial enterprise granted the right provide aviation services. Metro later received updated information that Hancock’s vehicle had breached security gates and was driving recklessly across the aircraft ramp.

At one point before police arrival, witnesses said Hancock parked his limo between a parked jet, exited his vehicle, donned a clown mask and screamed “I have a (expletive) bomb — I’m going to blow this place up,” according to the arrest report. Nearby employees fled and began to evacuate, and Hancock reentered his vehicle.

Metro arrived shortly after and ordered Hancock to exit the vehicle, police said. He complied and was immediately detained.

As Hancock was being detained, he stated his limo contained a “gasoline device,” and he had come to the airport to steal a jet because he wanted to fly to Area 51 “to look at aliens,” police said. Hancock also claimed he had a shotgun in the vehicle.

Officers searched the vehicle and found a “silver compression device — similar to an oxygen tank,” as well as what appeared to be a fire extinguisher with heavy gauge wiring wrapped around it situated on a wooden platform in the backseat. The contraption was consistent with a possible explosive device, police said.

The episode caused a “massive” response from Metro, including detectives from the counterterrorism and SWAT sections, but the number of officers was not stated in the arrest report. The Las Vegas Fire & Rescue Bomb Squad and FBI also responded.

Air traffic was altered “to protect life and property,” according to the report. It was not specified when normal air traffic resumed.

Police interviewed Hancock, and he told officers that he became “TikTok famous” after a video on the social media platform went viral showing him drifting his limousine on the Las Vegas Strip a few weeks ago.

Records show that Hancock was cited on Nov. 11 for misdemeanor reckless driving. Metro posted a video on its Twitter account later that day showing a limo driving erratically on the Strip, nearly hitting structures and nearby vehicles.

An initial appearance in Las Vegas Justice Court is scheduled for 9 a.m. Friday, court records show. It is not clear whether Hancock has an attorney at this time.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Well, it's good to know that 'Day of Loony' is alive and well.

Posts: 11329 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I'm kinda sad he didn't make it. I was hoping for some video of the aliens. I just don't have the balls to go to Area 51 myself.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12440 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Why the hell didn't he just drive his limo up to area 51?

Sure sounds like the guy might be just slightly shy of a full load.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Clown mask wearing thieves evoke a "It's Payday fellas!" in my head... :/

Posts: 184 | Registered: September 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
VEGAS Baby !!

--------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23265 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Police interviewed Hancock, and he told officers that he became “TikTok famous” after a video on the social media platform went viral showing him drifting his limousine on the Las Vegas Strip a few weeks ago.

Records show that Hancock was cited on Nov. 11 for misdemeanor reckless driving. Metro posted a video on its Twitter account later that day showing a limo driving erratically on the Strip, nearly hitting structures and nearby vehicles.

I went to find these videos, and this wasn't a guy out with the intent to make himself internet famous. He clearly was having some sort of mental breakdown.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15721 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
"Causing a dispersal hoax" is a crime? WTH does that even mean?

Whatever made him decide to do this, putting together the "devices" he had in the limo took some time. It doesn't seem like something an otherwise regular guy would do after getting drunk or stoned. I figured the guy to be a few cans short of a six pack, until I got to the part about TikTok. Now I'm leaning toward he got his 15 minutes on the drifting stunt and decided he'd go that one better.

Or, maybe he's just crazy. "HELLO, BOYS! I'M BAAAACK!"

Posts: 7268 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
Why the hell didn't he just drive his limo up to area 51?

There's no way you are going to walk, bike, hike, fly, or drive a vehicle into any of the prohibited area. You will be quickly confronted by very angry, capable, determined men
and that is where you will stop.

At the least, you will be detained, investigated, identified and noted by these armed men, then turned around and will be met by law enforcement and jailed.

Posts: 11849 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post