SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ground beef – red outside, gray inside
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ground beef – red outside, gray inside Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
When I break up a package of ground beef, I notice that it’s usually gray on the inside, even though it’s a fresh-looking red on the outside. I asked my butcher about that. He told me that the reason is the lack of air (oxygen) on the inside. I was skeptical, but the article linked below confirms his explanation. I was surprised.

I was unable to copy the relevant paragraph, which is quite a ways down.

“Consumers associate bright red color with high quality …”

https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/...to-doneness/ct_index

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9011 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I think they sometimes add a red dye to give it color too...

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24186 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I have noticed that on red meat that is vacuum packed. It turns a grey color. Then when you open it and let it sit a bit the color comes back.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Consumers association

Consumers associate bright red color with high quality (Lynch et al, 1986) and are frequently concerned when ground beef appears red on the outside and brown on the inside. Different levels of oxygenation at different locations inside and on the surface of the meat can account for this coloration (the grinding process allows air to contact more surface area of the meat). If ground beef loses contact with the air, as with the inside of the package of ground beef, it will turn grayish-brown. Likewise, as ground beef is stored, even for as little as one day, it might also turn prematurely brown (USDA-ARS/FSIS, 1998).

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Where's Lyman?

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15491 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Your ground beef has succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43926 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Stay away from that “tallow and tomato juice” stuff and grind you own. That way you’ll know what you’re getting. Smile

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
Some meat departments take older meat and pack fresh meat around it.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Your ground beef has succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning.

Yes, the put CO into the package.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34147 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post