New
Find
Notify
Tools

Instant Pot® Login/Join 
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
Have a regular pressure cooker that works great but...

We can various items and my wife does not like to use the big All American canner. I looked around and found the PowerPressure XL. Auto pressure cooker but also rated for pressure canning. Wife loves it but it can only do pints.

About 6 months after we bought the PowerPressure the Chard/Cary 9.5 quart smart pressure canner hit the market. It can accommodate quart jars for canning. Got one of those and it works great.

Never used the Instant Pot but I assume on the cooking side they work the same. The pressure canning part of the versions we bought make them more versatile for us.

BTW, Alton Brown has some cool pressure cooker recipes. One is a chili that uses tortilla chips as a thickening agent. It is very tasty

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I loved mine, before I broke it. There are tons of food gadgets out there, but the Instant Pots are one of the only ones that really live up to the hype. You can prepare any meal in no time at all, the sky really is the limit. I can have a real Texas Chili done in under an hour, which is phenomenal.

The only minor gripe I have is when you cook something in the instant pot that is usually cooked long and slow, the flavors don't have time to come together by the time it's done in the instant pot.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3586 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
Chicken from frozen solid to fully cooked in 20 minutes!!

Posts: 10195 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
damn, Title had me thinking something different.. especially since I just got back from Portland, OR.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
In my day people just had regular pot, AND THEY LIKED IT!

Posts: 27184 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Been reading more and more about these. They seem to be gaining popularity. Might have to pick one up.

Posts: 13314 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Use it at least a couple of times a month, bought it during last year's Prime Day. It's been pretty hot around here lately so, I don't use it as often but, once Fall/Winter comes around it'll get a workout.

Posts: 15085 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post