SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Advice needed ALL wheel drive or standard Front wheel
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice needed ALL wheel drive or standard Front wheel Login/Join 
posted
My daughter needs a new vehicle primarily for city driving. Is All Wheel Drive necessary or just front wheel drive ok. They get some snow and ice but not much. Mid South location.

Posts: 17281 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Save your money. FWD is fine for most things. I have AWD but it’s because I drive in the snow in hilly country. Snow on the flats is ok with FWD, if it’s got hills AWD is nice. My two cents. I live in MD.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
i agree fwd is an outstanding choice and will provide very good traction even in adverse conditions with a bit of common sense.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19244 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
AWD needs all tires to be similar in diameter, so if you have worn tires and need ONE new tire, on an AWD you will need to replace all four.

Posts: 2833 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FWD is far more cost-effective, and absent weather issues (or high-performance or off-road), a better bet than AWD.

Posts: 694 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I’m in the South also. We gets lots of rain, and many times that is flood like conditions or deemed flood, straight up. AWD (with proper tires) is priceless in these situations.

This really depends on what segment you are buying. Hatchback, SUV, CUV, sedan, etc. Big fan of the Impreza for cost and AWD. It’s a solid car if you don’t need performance IE big HP.

FWD is sufficient with proper tires so it all depends on what type of car you are buying. If I can get AWD for similar price or just a little bit more I’ll take it every single time.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12660 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My new Charger is AWD and I love it. But, given your location, FWD should be fine.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16124 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I agree, FWD is plenty, unless in a more snowy area. We have an AWD CR-V, been fine. I do think their ‘AWD’ system is heavily biased to the front only.

Here in WI most on the lot were AWD, it may of been $1k more than 2WD. Yes any resale would be higher too.

With AWD usually comes a little more maintenance. There may be less freedom with tires should you be mismatched with a bad tire midstream.

If needed, most FWD negatives could be eliminated with tire choices, dedicated winter if need be. That doesn’t sound like an issue where you live.

Posts: 6180 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snapping Twig:
AWD needs all tires to be similar in diameter, so if you have worn tires and need ONE new tire, on an AWD you will need to replace all four.

This is why it is imperative that you religiously rotate the tires every 5,000 miles with AWD. That and an alignment every couple of years.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I grew up in the Upper Midwest, lived in AK 5 years, have driven ice roads in the arctic circle, and lived in Can-eh-duh for 2 years. In that time I have owned front wheel drive cars, rear wheel drive trucks, and four-wheel-drive trucks. I used to travel quite a bit on business so I have rented all of the above plus all wheel drive cars & SUVs in the winter.

The above is a preface to my assertion that not all AWD systems are equal. For example, the 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander AWD system is poor. When I first moved to Calgary, I had a rental car for about 6 weeks and it was winter. On a day that was -20, I had to go to customs to sign for my furniture that had finally arrived from AK. The roads were icy and the Mitsubishi was steering like a front wheel drive vehicle. While going around the corner I begin to slide so I corrected for a front wheel drive vehicle and then the all wheel drive system decided to shift nearly all of the power to the rear wheels which completely fucked my steering correction. The ass end of the vehicle slid out and the aluminum wheel banged off the curb. When I stopped to inspect it I noticed that the wheel had cracked. Fortunately I was in visible sight of the Calgary airport so I returned it for a new rental car (definitely not a Mitsubishi Outlander) but I had to pay $800 for the damaged wheel. In all of my years of driving in the winter this is the only time I have ever damaged a vehicle and IMO the blame falls on the poorly engineered AWD system. If an AWD is going to shift power from front to rear when it detects a slide then it also needs to detect steering input so it doesn't make steering correction worse.

In order of preference for real winter (not the faux one we have in Texas):
  • 4wd
  • well executed AWD (eg Subaru)
  • Front wheel drive
  • Rear wheel drive
  • Poorly executed AWD (eg 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander).

My Dad still lives in the Upper midwest and hasn't had a 4wd for 10 years and has been front wheel drive since then. He's never had AWD.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tatortodd,

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23319 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    We are located in the mountains of N.C. Have not spent a winter without a Subaru in the driveway since the 80’s.

Truly liked our Subarus over the years. As mentioned above, rotating the tires is a must for their system. One off tire replacement or new pair of tires is a no go.

Posts: 797 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Honor and Integrity
    posted Hide Post
    A fwd vehicle should be fine for your daughter.

Posts: 2224 | Location: Fitchburg, WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    His diet consists of black
    coffee, and sarcasm.
    Picture of egregore
    posted Hide Post
    For occasional light and loose snow and in city driving, FWD is OK. The extra cost and maintenance issues of AWD have already been covered. Black ice or hard-packed snow suck no matter what the drive system unless - and sometimes not even then - you have dedicated snow tires..

Posts: 28007 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Too clever by half
    Picture of jigray3
    posted Hide Post
    FWD is fine. Most these days are equipped with Electronic traction control which will improve stability and control in truly marginal traction situations.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Savor the limelight
    posted Hide Post
    I commuted from Hartland to Whitewater for 2 years with a front wheel drive car and then Hartland to Milwaukee for another 2 years in the same car. Unless the snow was deep enough for the air dam to start plowing, I had no issues with front wheel drive on snow or ice.

Posts: 11017 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I grew up driving rwd and fwd thru every snow storm we had. I have owned a 4x4 for the last 25yrs and used it maybe 3x. I think a smaller fwd suv type vehicle would be fine.

Posts: 75 | Location: Delco and LBI | Registered: April 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I've seen fwd cars get through some some pretty bad snow and ice and out of mud that some 4x4s struggled with. It should be enough for anyone in the city.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3546 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    FWD with good tires should be fine. Nokian and Michelin make all weather tires. If you encounter more crappy weather, get a second set of wheels with snow tires.

Posts: 186 | Registered: April 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of ftttu
    posted Hide Post
    I’m a proponent of AWD, but if only for city with no to slight snowfall, FWD is is all she would need.

I’m on my first Subaru, and it may not be my last. We will see if a single bad tire causes me to have to replace them all or not. Also, it was a pro in the snowy/icy Colorado mountains a few weeks ago, but I’m sure a FWD with good tires could have kept up with me, but in the really tough stuff.

CRVs, HRVs, RAV4s, Highlanders, etc are all great cars, and their AWD systems are different than the Subaru’s. I won’t get into that, but there is less worry about tires with the non-Subarus..

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1182 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I lean towards AWD in your stated situation. Even if your daughter is skilled enough to keep it moving with FWD on slick roads in the Mis South she will be in the minority. Bad driving by others can put her into situations she might not get out of with FWD. For example, others stopped at the bottom of a hill.

Posts: 1973 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post