SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking for Some AA Battery Powered Camera Recommendations
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for Some AA Battery Powered Camera Recommendations Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted
So my 11 year-old Canon SX120 is no longer retaining its memory and I fear its time is now limited.

Looking a AA battery powered camera. I want the battery powered version because, no matter where in the world I go, AA batteries will be available as opposed to a useable power source for recharging an internal battery. (The 120 was purchased in part to a three month deployment to Iraq to trading their aid force.)

For an insight on my camera skills, I could make a semi descent living as a photographer but then, it wouldn't be much fun for me. (And, I still have my Canon T90 with a 1.4 lens which.)

So short of doing the same thing I've been doing the past few weeks (my Google-fu is strong), what say thee for recommendations and, why?

TIA (thanks in advance Wink)

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
I went through a similar exercise not too long ago...wanted a AA camera for similar reasons. I wound up buying an older, 'Like new/unused' Canon slightly upgraded from your 120...an SX160 or similar IIRC, off the Bay. There just aren't much in the way of AA cameras these days.

If you have a camera shop in your area that deals with used models, you might them a try.

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Would this be worth consideration? EBay link

Edit to add: Why not AAA? My local Target shows to have a Polaroid brand waterproof 16MP using 2 AAA for $39 bucks. Link. Walmart shows to have the same camera

Posts: 11847 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post
One alternative would be to get a modern camera and an extra rechargeable battery, even if it's a cheaper aftermarket. Today's cameras have really long battery life.

Posts: 1089 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
No "good" camera of recent design would run off of AA batteries. The power density just isn't there to power the sensor and processor required in a good camera.

So, two options:

A) Buy a camera that can charge its battery internally through a usb cord. 5v USB power can be found pretty much everywhere. You can even charge from a portable battery bank + solar charger.

B) Slight variation on the above. Buy a camera with a lithium power pack that can be removed. Buy a second battery and a USB charger for said battery. Recharge second battery from a portable battery bank or directly from solar. No downtime on the camera, you can swap batteries to keep shooting.

Also, a cheap DSLR will have enough charge for many hundreds/a thousand pictures. How much power do you really need?

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine a circumstance where I would opt for an AA powered point and shoot. Modern cell phone cameras are pretty amazing. I typically opt for a real DSLR when taking photos, but if its not around, the smartphone will do.

My employer utilizes several point and shoot cameras that are powered by AA batteries and the results are less than impressive.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I’ll second the suggestion for one that can charge internally via a USB cable and power bank. If that isn’t an option, there is an option for AA powered, but it won’t be a small cheap camera.

Many DSLR cameras can use an attached battery grip that will hold a tray of 6 AA batteries. Here is one example for use with a Canon 70D or 80D camera.

https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-...s=electronics&sr=1-3

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10940 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Have you changed the backup battery?

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
^^ Yep, probably start with this secondary battery as well as new memory card first.

There are still some of 'old(er-ish)' guys that still prefer to have an independent, stand-alone
point/shoot camera for various reasons. And some of us that work in the field, sometimes in remote locations, and take LOTS of pictures, prefer being able to swap out AA batteries (I've been using re-chargeables for years). Are these cameras as good as the latest and greatest uber megapixel units? No, but they work just fine 99+% of the time...if you need professional/laboratory-quality photos, you go another route.

$.02 worth.

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I dunno, an 11 year old 10mp CCD point and shoot is ancient.

Like, I get needing a cheap point and shoot. But something of recent design would probably make his job simpler--better low light performance, dynamic range, autofocus. Yes, I understand not needing "pro" photos, but you can't argue that getting a decent picture the first time you try isn't going to speed things along.

I get why AA batteries were a thing. Rechargeable batteries sucked in the NiMH days. Back then, the NiMH batteries weren't even Low Self Discharge, so everytime you picked up the camera is was likely dead. And when you needed to charge, you needed to find the stupid adapter with the right barrel connector.

But lithium batteries have been here for a while. They have virtually no self discharge, so the battery stays full between uses. Most cameras will charge internally through a USB port now, so you can start each project with a full battery and top off from your car or cell phone charger wherever. Batteries, even on the smallest point and shoots, can give you a hundred+ photos between charges. Spare batteries are cheap and plentiful if you go with non-OEM marked batteries.

I see no benefit to a digital camera that runs on AA batteries.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
Have you changed the backup battery?

Ooh snap!!!

Never knew about or considered that.

THANKS!!

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old of a Cat,
to be licked by a Kitten
Picture of Klusk2
posted Hide Post
I have a Canon Powershot A620 that is basically brand new, sitting on a shelf. Email me if you can't fix yours.
https://www.usa.canon.com/inte...eries/powershot-a620

The Working Police.....
"We the willing, led by the unknown, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful."

Posts: 2514 | Location: "Mag"azine Mile | Registered: February 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The620 was great. I’m sad that mine died from alkaleaks.

Posts: 520 | Location: Alaska | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post