SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cooking bacon.
Page 1 2 3 4 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Cooking bacon. Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
It's important not to use soap.

Myth.

The seasoning (provided it's a good one) on cast iron is essentially plastic. Polymerized grease. Soap itself will not harm it. You don't want to scrub it with a fresh SOS pad mind you, but a soapy sponge scrubber will do no harm. Been using one on my 100 year old irons for many years and they're still good as new and slicker than snot.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Report This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I also like to slow fry mine in a cast iron pan. I set it on low and go about preparing the rest of the breakfast. I have tried the oven method, and while it produces flat crispy bacon....oven cooked bacon just has no soul Smile

(although I might try the BLT bacon weave in the oven, that looks good)

Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
It's important not to use soap.

Myth.

The seasoning (provided it's a good one) on cast iron is essentially plastic. Polymerized grease. Soap itself will not harm it. You don't want to scrub it with a fresh SOS pad mind you, but a soapy sponge scrubber will do no harm. Been using one on my 100 year old irons for many years and they're still good as new and slicker than snot.
I've heard that before and don't doubt it but I've been doing it my way for way too long to change. (If it ain't broke, don't fix it.)

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Report This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:

Incidentally, I got this microwave cover. It minimizes splatter and odors from bacon. It's also great for nuking other things (like beans) which make a mess. It's dishwasher safe.

Jim, as is often lamented around here, SigForum costs members money. -Smile Based on your comment here we've ordered one of these covers for our use. We don't nuke bacon, preferring a cast iron pan and cast iron press. But the cover will address microwave splatter issues. Thanks!

And oh, since it really hasn't been discussed, we buy slabs of hickory smoked country bacon (prefer it to applewood) and cut it into 1/4" thick strips. Oh my! Nicely crisped it is to die for.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
I also like to slow fry mine in a cast iron pan. I set it on low and go about preparing the rest of the breakfast. I have tried the oven method, and while it produces flat crispy bacon....oven cooked bacon just has no soul Smile

(although I might try the BLT bacon weave in the oven, that looks good)

Bacon has no soul unless it fights back with grease burns. 2 TBL of bacon grease sacrificed to further the bacon cause on cast iron is like a phoenix rising from the ashes, bacon grease begets more bacon.

Posts: 693 | Location: West of the Pecos | Registered: July 29, 2012Report This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
All of the above.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
we make ours on a cooling rack in the oven
( on a cookie pan )
these guys have a new way
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2guC4Badq2s

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Report This Post