SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cooking bacon.
Page 1 2 3 4 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Cooking bacon. Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
On a griddle. The excess grease drains away. This LINK is what we while camping.

Posts: 10828 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Report This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
For those complaining that their bacon doesn't cook "evenly" in a pan (e.g. cast iron), the trick is to use a cast iron press on top of the slices.

We also buy our bacon by the slab (prefer hickory smoked to applewood smoked) and cut in into thick 1/4" slices.

This works great for smaller servings:

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Due to concerns about plaque in the arteries (it runs in the family) I can no longer partake of bacon. About the closest I can get is Bacon Bits.

However Amerca's Test Kitchen suggests a technique that looks to be perfect for obtaining perfectly evenly cooked pan fired bacon. Warning, it does sound odd but I have used this particular technique with other meats. What you do is fill your ban with about 3/8 to 1/2 inch of water and bring it to a boil with the bacon in the pan. It boils off just before the final crisping and because water acts wonderfully for evenly distributing heat the end result is perfect bacon. According to America's Test Kitchen, naturally having to be completely bacon free I haven't actually tried this for myself. However every time I'm grocery shopping and pass the bacon display I keep wondering if just one pound of bacon would actually do me in.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
The best way to cook bacon if you like it to be cooked evenly is to buy a mesh rack that fits within one of your cookie sheets.

The bacon sits on the mesh sheet above the pan and not only cooks perfectly even but also perfectly flat. All the excess fat drains off onto the cookie sheet below.

Perfect bacon every time.

Posts: 3875 | Registered: January 25, 2013Report This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I tried the microwave and while it came out good, the microwave smelled strongly of bacon grease for a month - got old fast. That included cleaning.

I will stick with my cast iron pan. It likes the good grease.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Oz_Shadow,

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Report This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
When I bake it, I place it on a rack in the pan; this makes it drain off the fat even better.

For a special treat, generously sprinkle it with dark brown sugar and a healthy helping of freshly ground black pepper before sticking it in the oven. Bacon candy.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Report This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
The best way to cook bacon if you like it to be cooked evenly is to buy a mesh rack that fits within one of your cookie sheets.

The bacon sits on the mesh sheet above the pan and not only cooks perfectly even but also perfectly flat. All the excess fat drains off onto the cookie sheet below.

Perfect bacon every time.
I used to do that but the wire mesh was a PITA to clean.

I get equally good results in a preheated foil lined cookie sheet. Bring the oven and cookie sheet up to 425, and while it's doingvtgat get your bacon laid out on foil. I plunk the foil on the cookie sheet and 17 or 18 min latet it's evenly crisp on both sides. Note: my times are for thick cut bacon not that thin stuff.

I'm losing weight so I'm currently substituting HEB's excellent maple turkey bacon (much better than anything by Butterball or Jennie-O). Only difference is 400 degree oven and it's done in 12 min.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Report This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I cook my bacon in my Breville Smart Grill. I put a ribbed plate on the bottom (so the grease drains away), and a flat plate on top. With the grease drained away, the bacon is effectively being baked. The bacon comes out utterly flat (so I can put a lot of it on my sandwich), and crispy crunchy. Takes five minutes after the grill has come up to set temperature.

The Breville is somewhat like a George Foreman grill, but much better materials, construction, and design. The heating elements are embedded in the plates, which are removable for easy cleanup in the sink.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8857 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Report This Post
Fire for effect
posted Hide Post
For convenience, I using use the microwave. But the best way that I've found to cook it, is put it on a hot grill. That slightly chars a little and cooks it very tasty.

"Ride to the sound of the big guns."

Posts: 7210 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: May 13, 2006Report This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
I tried the microwave and while it came out good, the microwaved smelled strongly of bacon grease for a month - got old fast.
<snip>

I tried the microwave method too, with the same results that you report. I used a "Makin' Bacon" tree, sold by Walmart, to hang the bacon strips. I threw the device away.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8857 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Wife won't fry it in the house, too much of a mess. So in cold weather she will opt for the oven.

When the weather is nice, I enjoy firing up my Deadwood rocket stove outside, cast iron pan, and let it sizzle away. I think the flavor is best that way. Plus I just plain enjoy it.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Report This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
inst there a guy here that has a bacon give away once a year ? I want to be his friend.

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Report This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
Cast iron bacon, anything else just doesn't taste right .

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Report This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
inst there a guy here that has a bacon give away once a year ? I want to be his friend.
Jeff Yarchin. And it's not just bacon, it's fucking awesome bacon.

There probably are not a lotta of Jews who cure their own bacon--he says it's OK because he uses kosher salt. Big Grin

Incidentally, I got this microwave cover. It minimizes splatter and odors from bacon. It's also great for nuking other things (like beans) which make a mess. It's dishwasher safe.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Report This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I cook bacon on my Traeger smoker give it about20 minut s on smoke then crank up the heat to finish. The grease drops onto the drip tray and the bacon comes out crisp hot and not greasy

Plus I can do two packages at one time so I have nice smoked bacon bagged up for the week if any is left over

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Report This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I like it all but lately have been baking in the oven on parchment paper on baking tray.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Report This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
I'm a bacon nuker.

Just remember, we're all on the same team here. Big Grin

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Report This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Ever since I started baking it, I haven looked back!

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I cook it on an old Faberware rotisserie grill. We have used this for 30 plus years and works great. Fat drips away and cooks quickly.

Posts: 937 | Location: Greeley, CO | Registered: March 01, 2008Report This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
You do-it-yourself'ers are going to be the death of good food. I order mine off the menu, and specify crispy because that's the way I like it.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Report This Post