SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Quick and easy gall bladder poll
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quick and easy gall bladder poll Login/Join 
We Are...MARSHALL
Picture of armedmd
posted Hide Post
I love removing gallbladders(cholecystectomy) but only if it’s warranted. As others have said, the mere presence of stones is not an indication to have the gallbladder removed typically. Residents and staff members feel it’s a minimal procedure because it’s done minimally invasive but there are significant complications that can occur although they’re very uncommon. I hope this helps and I wish you the best.

Build a man a fire and keep him warm for a night, set a man on fire and keep him warm the rest of his life.

Posts: 1894 | Location: WV | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
Mine acted up in Cody, WY. Scared the shit out of me. The wife knew. We went to the ER. Vacation ended, flew home and it was out about 4 days later. No big deal. In retrospect, it was the beginning of my surgeries……

Posts: 1224 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Slight drift. Speaking of Stones, I'm having a Cystolitholapxy procedure tomorrow morning to rid my bladder of about 7 stones. Had this exact same procedure a year ago and they're back. Stones anywhere are never a great thing but happy they aren't north in the Kidney area.

Posts: 1453 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Have mine. However, my wife, my son and my daughter have all had their’s out.
Seems I won the genetic lottery.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TexasScrub:
Since I assist about 10 of these a week I only worry that a small stone will cause an obstruction. I'll assume that they did a HIDAscan, or an MRCP, if you were symptomatic. If not symptomatic as I expect, keep the damn thing if its not causing problems.

Doctors just wanna cut/cut/cut

You forgot one thing. Prescribe, prescribe, prescribe!

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1129 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After reading a half dozen articles on the WWW.
The only other
Issue I have to consider is this symptom addressing flatulence .
Specifically what they call excessive amounts.

What the hell is excessive?
Especially at 66 y.o.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54647 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

this symptom addressing flatulence .Specifically what they call excessive amounts. What the hell is excessive?
If the dog starts howling, tucks his tail between his legs, and slinks off to another room, it's probably excessive.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most I ever got was side eye Smile

Posts: 54647 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Excessive would require you to stay away from ignition sources.
Eek

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16517 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
With no symptoms other than the discovery of stones while looking for something else, surgery should be a very last resort. Can. they be dissolved or busted up somehow?

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I asked both my GP and my surgeon that they said not at my age, it's the whole package or nothing.

So all you old guys,
Do you fart after every meal, after every third meal?

Once a week,
Only on Wednesdays?

Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
I still have mine, but younger bother and sister both had theirs' out.

Posts: 1348 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Had a small gallstone when I was mri'd for a kidney stone in ~2004. I'm sure it's gone by now. Roll Eyes

Posts: 3522 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you have recurrent symptoms, yes, but jusr the presence of gall stones does not equal surgery.

Agree with Q. I've worked for many years now in the OR of a large University Based Hospital. If you don't have symptoms, no need to remove it.

I have a few large stones in mine. I met with the surgeon and she said to leave it alone, unless I have symptoms. They are too large to block any ducts. Yes there is a slight increase in cancer risk but the overall rate for cancer in your gallbladder is extremely low.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeaCliff
posted Hide Post
Mine was gangrene when they took it out. They said I was on a short timer before it burst.
Mine was done decades when they sliced you open about a 6 inch scar.
Don't miss it.

Posts: 1894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: October 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
I had a CT scan last year for possible appendicitis.
The appendix was fine, but they said I have several gallstones and several 5-7mm kidney stones in both kidneys.

I knew I had kidney stones, but the gallstones were a surprise.. Big Grin

Posts: 4360 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

So all you old guys,
Do you fart after every meal, after every third meal?

Once a week,
Only on Wednesdays?

I’m not able to give a sufficiently accurate accounting but will try to keep better records

Posts: 26910 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Had mine removed a couple years ago. I had so much pain they finally had to give me fentanyl in the ER but the real problem was it caused pancreatitis which ended up being a week in the hospital during covid. My surgeon said "it was full of stones". I don't really miss it but sometimes I get grief if I eat to much fat but that doesn't happen too often and I bought some Ox bile pills for that which I can take one if I am eating a meal that I think will cause such but I sure as hell didn't want to get pancreatitis again. The doctor at the hospital told me that my pancreas was basically eating itself due to stones blocking a shared duct (or such). Eek

Interestingly I had an MRI a few weeks earlier for liver reasons and the radiologist put on the report that I had stones in my gall bladder. I took a copy of the report to the ER with me and handed it to the ER doc and told her I highly suspect my pain is gall bladder related.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
My wife's was removed during a liver surgery when she was 2 years old, but nobody ever told her. We didn't find out until I got diagnosed with type-1 diabetes a few years ago, so I started eating Keto (basically all fats and protein, no carbs). She tried going on my diet and was having all kinds of abdominal pain. She went to the Dr. and he couldn't figure it out either, so he sent her to imaging for an abdominal scan.

When the results came in, he called her and told her everything looked normal, and mentioned that there was no gallbladder.

My wife was shocked. "What? I don't have a gallbladder?" She ended up calling her mom and asking her, and my MIL said, "Oh yeah, they told me they took something else out while they were in there for that liver surgery when you were two, but I could never remember what it was." Gee, thanks mom Eek!

Ultimately, my wife lived 35 years or so without one and didn't even know it, so it can't be that important! I now eat the meat, she eats the carbs, we share the veggies, and it works out for everybody.

Posts: 8573 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
Had mine taken out because it was useless. It wasn't due to stones, it just wasn't doing its job. My suggestion would be to have a HIDA scan. It will determine how functional the gallbladder is. On a scale of 1-100 mine was a zero. I had stomach problems for years with no proper diagnosis. HIDA scan revealed it. Once the gallbladder was removed I developed something called dumping syndrome due to the unimpeded flow of bile into the intestines. It is rare but it happened to me. Doc put me on something called cholestyramine and it is now managed. Bottom line is, minor surgery is surgery performed on someone else. Make an informed decision before having it removed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5909 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post